Windows 8

Question

Should I upgrade Windows7 to 8 before the price goes up?

by vabiraj / January 25, 2013 8:53 PM PST

I have windows 7 x64 and was wondering if it would be worth it to pay the discounted price and upgrade to Windows 8 now as we all know eventually all new software will be designed with Windows 8 in mind and less focus on older operating systems.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Should I upgrade Windows7 to 8 before the price goes up?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Should I upgrade Windows7 to 8 before the price goes up?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'm not.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2013 2:22 AM PST

Sorry I can't see a reason to. Yes, our office will have 8 machines to test for app compatibility but since the first thing I did was to add the taskbar why do this?

It's not like I have MSFT stock.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Stick with Windows 7
by laptopdeta / January 29, 2013 1:20 AM PST

If you were talking about a compatible Windows Xp or Vista computer, I'd say upgrade to Windows 8. Since you have Windows 7, you're fine sticking with that. You already have a stable system that will be supported for many years to come. I like Windows 8 just fine, but it has a few quirks about it that will probably be ironed out by Windows 9.

Collapse -
Answer
I think it's best to
by orlbuckeye / January 30, 2013 11:30 PM PST

get Windows 8 when it's time to upgrade your machine. Although if you can't wait you better get it today it goes up from 40 to 119 tomorrow.

Collapse -
$119? MS says $119
by wpgwpg / January 30, 2013 11:45 PM PST
In reply to: I think it's best to
Collapse -
Answer
(NT) do what u want.
by mariacateria / January 31, 2013 2:50 PM PST
Collapse -
Answer
Microsoft like Apple
by lucky76 / February 1, 2013 9:59 AM PST

Microsoft is like Apple, the price will always be the same today as next year. You can find if for a few dollars less sometimes. The OEM versions are the best to purchase because you can install it on any hardware as long as you can find the correct drivers for your hardware. This is usually not a problem.

Collapse -
Answer
NO!!!!
by Mike Hawthorne / February 1, 2013 1:15 PM PST

No!

If you have worked with Windows for a long time stick with what you are familiar with.
There's no reason the upgrade to 8 if 7 works for you.

It's no an OS for a desktop computer.

Maybe by the time that Windows 9 comes out Microsoft will come to it's senses and provide their own PC interface, so we don't have to download a program to be able to use it.

And it's not just about the way it looks.
There are things that just don't work.

I can't use it for my e-mail because it doesn't support pop3, for example.

Many things that Windows 7 can do easily are hard in Windows 8.

It's like they went out of their way to may it as complicated as possible, and add in extra steps every place they could.

Mike

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.