Video Games & Consoles forum

Question

Should I upgrade to PS3 Slim?

by okin46 / August 19, 2011 8:47 AM PDT

I have the first gen PS3 system for at least 4-5 years now without any issues really. Not a hardcore gamer so rarely used. However, I am constantly playing FPS now and getting back into it with XBox. Our local Game Stop is offeing a trade in of old PS3 for the new PS3 slim for just $125. My question is, is it worth upgrading? As I have pre ordered Battlefield 3 and MW3 for PS3 as I have more friends on PS3.

Also really just want to know if they fixed any issues with first gen that I am not aware of.

Thanks!!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Should I upgrade to PS3 Slim?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Should I upgrade to PS3 Slim?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'm nodding to "No."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 19, 2011 8:51 AM PDT

Here's why. While the slim might offer more disk space there are some discussions about it's better PS2 compatibility. That is not why I'd keep it. Ready? Some folk have trouble with HDMI to new HDTVs with the slim.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
I'll give a cautious yes
by Jimmy Greystone / August 19, 2011 11:24 AM PDT

I'll give a cautious yes, because on top of reducing the size of the unit by about 33%, the PS3 Slim also reduced power consumption by about as much.

So if you don't care about the PS2 back compat, which might have been completely disabled by a recent firmware update anyway, then I'd say do it. You'll gradually make back that money in reduced utility bills. It might take you another 4-5 years to make it all back and then some, but you're also doing your part to reduce the load on the local electrical grid, being a good citizen.

If you want the PS2 back compat, then don't even think about it. Take the position that they will pry that unit out of your cold dead fingers. I am assuming recent firmware updates didn't kill it off even on the ones with the PS2 EmotionEngine CPU in it.

Collapse -
Confirming.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 19, 2011 11:58 AM PDT

We have the 80GB (from memory) PS3 FAT with that Emotion in it.

The HDMI cable issue drives folks nuts.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Depends.
by RyanH324 / September 25, 2011 6:59 AM PDT

I would say yes if you want to spend $125 for your PS3 to be slight slimmer, but other then that you're pretty much wasting your money. Battlefield 3 and MW3 are going to run exactly the same on either model.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.