Windows 8 forum

Question

Should I upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8?

by deluca_9 / December 30, 2012 6:26 AM PST

I currently have an ASUS laptop that came with Windows 7 Home Premium pre-installed on it. I use my laptop for mostly basic tasks including schoolwork, music downloads, web surfing, minor gaming, video viewing, etc. Would it be worth upgrading to Windows 8? And will it really make a difference if my computer was integrated for Windows 7? I have the option of getting Windows 8 cheap, so price isn't an issue. Also, if I were to install Windows 8, is there any way of reverting back to Windows 7?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Should I upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Should I upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
We're not initially happy with Windows 8 and Microsoft

We got Windows 8 but my suggestion is you at least try it in a store before you buy it.

We're unhappy in some ways that there isn't a start button.
I am unhappy that I have to use a Windows account to do business instead of my own email account.
Windows 8 makes the computer feel like some iPad or tablet which we could care less about.
The features we want aren't in a central location and having to learn a whole new operating system is not what we want.

I think everyone is being too nice to Microsoft. I've actually complained to Microsoft and they hung up on me and they don't care because they are all millionares and don't care what this customer thinks.

We're actually asking the opposite question as to whether we should get rid of Windows 8 and go with 7.

Collapse -
Answer
Should you upgrade?
by spittsp / December 30, 2012 11:10 AM PST

If you are happy with Windows 7 there is no good reason to upgrade.

I have Windows 7 on my laptop and Vista on my desktop. I am happy with both but I considered upgrading Vista to Windows 8. I thought before I did I would install Windows 8 Release Preview.

I discovered that I do not like Windows 8. I considered myself an intermediate user of all the other Windows releases but for Windows 8 I am lost. I too don't like the fact that you have to use a MSN email account to log into Windows 8. I can stumble around Windows but setting it up for everyday use will take an Windows 8 for Dummies book.

As a matter of fact I switch to desktop whenever I use Windows 8. I can live without a start button but I hate Metro.

Find someone who has it and try it. It requires a big learning curve.

Collapse -
I'm warming to Windows 8
by ChuckJTS-23427222252684036696820606199520 / January 1, 2013 1:25 PM PST
In reply to: Should you upgrade?

I'm warming to Windows 8. I don't like the fact that I need an email account to have Windows based on but I don't care because I won't use it unless necessary.

Windows 8 has a neet calendar like those big office calendars that sit on my desk from an office supply store. You can enter birthdays, events, reminders and holidays that you want to remember.

It has a neet Facebook app. I set it up for my wife. You can scroll through it to see new content from your friends on your Facebook account. It also has a useful weather and map app.

I'm still trying to figure out how to turn Windows Defender back on but none of the instructions I found work with my version of Windows 8.

I found the desktop which you can go to from the charms menu by clicking on search or you can click on the desktop icon / picture. The start screen has a decent amount of Office programs listed. You also have to log in so I think Windows 8 might be a more secure sandbox but nothing is secure.

I figured it out after playing for four sittings and I have some limited time over my four day weekend over the holidays. I was able to set up a wireless printer.

I don't think I'm going to buy any or many apps because I'm not here to make Microsoft rich and I don't know the publishers and I also think that quality programs come from a quality publisher and not from an App store. Buying apps get old and I learned that from my Kindle Fire.

Windows 8 makes it easier to connect to the router. I just had to enter my WEP key and I was online. Other things require more work.

Email and programs running on XP are holding us up. We need time to get the programs installed and see if they are compatible. Making sure extra files are synced is also important.

I hated Windows 8 when I first saw it. I don't like it but I am warming to it because we got the computer as a gift.
This computer has to get used, Micosoft is going to force people to accept the future unless you can duck the Windows 8 version as long as possible. So unless you go to Linux or something else, you might have to deal with all or part of Windows 8 in a future version.

Collapse -
Answer
Can Windows 8 be installed simultaneously with Windows 7?
by deluca_9 / January 1, 2013 10:37 AM PST

I was told by a friend that this could be done. On initial startup, you can choose between Windows 7 and 8 as the os. Is this true? Also, would this slow down my computer?

Collapse -
Yes you can have both - dual boot
by wpgwpg / January 1, 2013 10:48 AM PST

If you have Windows 7, you can create a partition on your hard drive and install Windows 8 on the other. Then you can boot either one.
For those who want a start button, you can easily add it with two excellent 3rd party programs, Start8, which costs $5 and Classic Start which is free. They're pretty much the same and give you what Microsoft should've done in the first place.

Good luck.

Collapse -
I dual boot
by spittsp / January 3, 2013 11:51 AM PST

I used Easeus Partition (free) to create another partition on my hard drive. I then installed Windows 8 Release Preview . It was easy. I can now boot into Windows 8 RP or Vista.

Collapse -
Answer
only on a table or touch screen
by Honolulubelle / January 4, 2013 9:29 AM PST

I wish I had not upgraded my new desktop to 8 - it requires alot of extra steps if you are using a mouse. I think it was designed with tablets or touchscreens in mind.

Collapse -
Answer
I've got Win8 on a netbook & dislike it
by billfranke / January 4, 2013 10:39 AM PST

I bought a netbook with Win8 after giving an Android tablet that I absolutely hated to my 16-year-old son, who loved it. I discovered that I'd merely traded a tablet for a false tablet.

Win8 was not designed for the traditional desktop PC user. It's probably wonderful for the Surface tablet with Win8RT, but, frankly, I hate touch screens and don't want to be connected to the Net 24/7. I use my desktop for work: editing. I used to use a netbook with WinXP Pro to edit a few years ago. No problem. Trying to use my new netbook to edit is a major problem. It's just a big smartphone with a usable keyboard and mouse but without the phone function.

The biggest problem is that it takes more mouse clicks than it takes to do the simplest things on Win7. I've tried all the OSs for personal PCs since 1987 and I like Win7 best of all, so I'm not anti-Microsoft, but I'm not happy with Win8. I'm also unhappy that I can't use MS Office 2003 with Win8: I seriously dislike the ribbon that comes with Office 2007, 2010, & 2013. I have MS Office 2007 but won't use it, so that's another reason to stick with Win7.

Collapse -
MS Office 2003
by henkslb / January 4, 2013 9:45 PM PST

I installed Win 8 over a Win 7 with MS Office 2003 and on my computer there is no problem with Office 2003, even though MS says Office 2003 is not compatible with Win 8.

Collapse -
Answer
Downloaded W8
by Ronmet / January 4, 2013 3:11 PM PST

I downloaded windows 8 and experienced a nightmare of a time. It would not open I contacted Microsoft on numerous occasions even letting them have access to my laptop(not advisable) I then lost W7. Bottom line it took me 3 days to sort out eventually getting a refund from Microsoft. My advice stay clear until it is tried and tested for about a year.

Collapse -
Answer
No!
by mrskelly / January 4, 2013 9:43 PM PST

I needed to purchase a new computer and jumped on a deal this past Cyber Monday. I tried to get Windows 7 on it, but it only came with Windows 8. So in the interest of saving money I went ahead and got it, thinking maybe I'd have one of our IT guys install Windows 7 on it. They said it couldn't be done. (Is that true?) I hate it, there are few useful apps, either free or to purchase, and I don't really have the time for a learning curve, but that's what I'm doing right now - still using my old computer for work while poking around on my new one trying to learn to navigate. That also what I'm hearing from others, too - they don't appreciate having to learn a new system while trying to get their work done. I'll probably get used to it eventually, but I don't think Microsoft is going to score on this one.

Collapse -
Answer
In My Opinion, Yes
by Flatworm / January 4, 2013 10:44 PM PST

Windows 8 seems faster in most things, particularly bootup, and the "Legacy" desktop is accessible from the Metro UI with a single click on any desktop application.

There IS a learning curve, but advice is readily available online. The worst thing about it I have found so far is that they eliminated the Freecell, Spider Solitaire and the other games they've included since old Win 3. BAD Microsoft! And, as they did up until the final beta release, they really should let you default to opening in the legacy desktop. Most of us desktop computer users (and others without touchscreens) would probably do so if they allowed it.

It's the easiest O/S install I ever did. It's easier than installing MS Office Pro or Adobe CS -- BY FAR AND AWAY!

But it is quite new and quite different, and it takes a little bit of getting accustomed to. It is a MUCH more radical change to Windows even than Windows XP was over Windows 98. This is NOT a WinXP UI, even though the "Desktop" may appear similar. You do almost everything differently, including shutting the computer down (the LOGICAL way, with the power switch).

And contrary to what some are saying, you do NOT have to use a Windows account except to use the store. I don't, but it does let me use my account to login to the store automatically.

It does everything Windows 7 did, but it does many things differently, and it does ALL of them faster.

Collapse -
Win 8 vs Win 3
by huzedat / January 5, 2013 11:12 AM PST
In reply to: In My Opinion, Yes

Windows 8 is a lot like Windows 3. I think I was able to use it faster than many others because of my Windows 3 experience.

One of the first things I did was modify the startup screen. I got rid of all the stuff I won't use, added what I use a lot, and then rearranged/adjusted everything the way I wanted it - just like I had to with Win 3. In essence the not-Metro startup screen is now an overgrown Start Button. However, Win 8 won't let me pin documents to that page. Otherwise, it works just like having a Start Button; move the mouse to the lower left corner, click on the pop-up, move the mouse to the desired program and click it - same number of moves & clicks. Shutting down only takes two clicks where it used to take three.

As for the games, they are available at the Apps Store. Go to Games, select Cards and Free. It will be listed as Microsoft Solitaire Collection. Without limiting the search to Cards, you will find Minesweeper. The only one I used that doesn't seem to be available is Microsoft Hearts. There are a couple of others, but they aren't as good as MS's.

Collapse -
Answer
stay put
by Ian Hendry / January 5, 2013 9:39 AM PST

Windows 8 is very user friendly it has too many quirks that you have to find your way past. It is typical Microsoft hype with not a lot of substance & don't expect to get any help from Microsoft if you have any problems

Collapse -
Answer
Dual boot
by mrgreg444 / January 5, 2013 11:39 AM PST

As others have mentioned, dual boot is the way to go if you have the space. It has been very handy when windows 8 encounters an issue. If need the task done quickly I can just switch back to W7.

Collapse -
Answer
I am not happy with WIN 8
by DChrisL / January 14, 2013 10:44 PM PST

I have WIN 7 Home Edition, fortunately for me, I had to items to get rid of WIN8 Pro. I have 4 recovery disks for WIN7, but they don't work. I had to use www.killdisk.com to clean out everything. Fortunately, most items I had were on a flash drive. Also, the only way I would install WIN 8 is with a DVD to do a clean install using www.killdisk.com or DBAN. There is no Start button AND you will need a touch screen. I have yet to see my money come back since I put in a debit card defective mechandis on 12/11/12 - I made that purchase on 12/04/12. I will be going after three companies to get my my money; one has six outlets in the United States even though there main office is overseas.

Collapse -
Re: Win 8
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 10:51 PM PST

There's a free start button you can download and you don't need a touch screen.
Any other objections to Windows 8?

Kees

Collapse -
Touch Screen
by huzedat / January 19, 2013 4:02 PM PST

You don't NEED a touch screen. Win 8 was designed for as many devices as possible, most of which are mobile with touch screen. However, it will work with a standard keyboard/mouse/monitor configuration. I doubt that even Microsoft would be foolish enough to expect people to write a manuscript, create/maintain a workbook, or other such activities using an on-screen keyboard.

If you want to blame somebody for Windows 8, blame the hardware manufacturers for giving the mobile set what they want. Desktop sales - even Apple - have been declining for the past three years, while the number and variety of mobile devises has nearly tripled over the same period. Desktops are no longer driving the computer market. It's wrong to blame Microsoft for catering to the majority, just like the rest of the computer industry.

If Windows 8 doesn't work for you, or you just refuse to learn a whole new OS, then stick with Windows 7. It will be around for a long time.

Collapse -
Answer
Run from Windows 8
by ceh4702 / January 19, 2013 9:35 AM PST

I tried Windwos 8 and hated it. It is just too buggy to pay good money for. It was rushed to market by desparate greedy people who care only about money. It is a premature pile of junk. This is my opinion and I am sticking with it.

Collapse -
no support
by serenachan4s / January 24, 2013 11:42 PM PST
In reply to: Run from Windows 8

Moreover, I would like to add the fact that hardware manufacturers jumped the band wagon. I upgraded to W8 using the offer that everybody is talking about but ended up rather dissapointed on the support. I have a Dell inspirion with an ati 3650 graphics adapter and it looks like amd decided not to support the hw. They released only a single driver for legacy hardware and that's about it, no future updates coming.

I'm no gamer but this is rather anoying. At least I'm able to play HD videos using hardware accelaration with this driver..

Collapse -
We were warned
by huzedat / January 25, 2013 4:41 AM PST
In reply to: no support

Several of the hardware and software companies had said months before Windows 8 came out that they would not be providing updates to it. This is not Microsoft's fault. The companies have had over a year to prepare updates, but refused to do so. Whereas these companies THINK they are protesting Microsoft, in reality they are only hurting their customers.

Collapse -
Not true
by huzedat / January 25, 2013 4:53 AM PST
In reply to: Run from Windows 8

Windows 8 was not rushed to the market. It had the longest running Beta program of any software on the market. Premature - maybe. Not because of the program, but because of the users. People just aren't ready for a single OS for multiple mobile devises AND the desktop. Apple is moving in that direction with a single OS for the mobile devises, and may well follow Microsoft to include their desktops. They are playing a wait-and-see game.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.