PC Applications forum

General discussion

Should I uninstall older version of Microsoft .Net Framework

by emil.sekula / October 3, 2007 2:28 AM PDT

Hello
I have an one question about Microsoft .Net Framework. Should I uninstall older version of Microsoft .Net Framework (in my case 2.0 Service Pack 1) because actually I have two versions:
Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 and
Microsoft .Net Framework 3.0 Service Pack 1 ?
Regards

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Should I uninstall older version of Microsoft .Net Framework
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Should I uninstall older version of Microsoft .Net Framework
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The shortest answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 3, 2007 3:00 AM PDT

Leave the latest version of each .Net 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 on the machine. There are long passages about this so I'll boil it down to the simplest answer I can give.

The other item is that Net 2.0 is not the new version of Net 1.0 but a new edition. The difference is subtle and I can see how many will think of them as versions.

Bob

Collapse -
Shorter answer. . .
by Coryphaeus / October 3, 2007 8:29 AM PDT

Unless your computer needs .Net, uninstall it all.

My IBM ThinkCentres (2) and my ThinkPad (1) need it for the IBM updates. My home-built XP Pro web/network server has no need for it.

Collapse -
removing earlier versions of NET.Framework
by moshenatan / April 6, 2010 8:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Shorter answer. . .

I've been checking up on this for years.Every time I go to "add-remove" page I check size & all these versions are on the top.I've wanted to zap them forever. From what I've learned they are all needed,but your answer is correct :" Unless your computer needs .Net, uninstall it all."
The same would be if I went to my car mechanic and mentioned to him that the weight of the engine gives me less milage per gallon. "Can I take out the engine to save on weight?" I ask him?
" Unless your car needs it, take it all out". Many things won't work without the earlier versions.

Collapse -
You might be safe
by Dango517 / October 3, 2007 3:42 PM PDT

uninstalling older versions of .net but do not remove them entirely. (Frankly, I'm a little leary of even advising you to remove any versions. I'm going to trust Bob on this one. Besides it's not my computer we're talking about.) These are often installed on other Microsoft software and if you uninstall them this original software program(s) will not work. If you do make a mistake the offended program will show it's self, soon and you'll have to down load it again. This program might be your Operating System (OS). Remember, I told you so.

Collapse -
Net 1.0 is not the older version of Net 2.0.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2007 1:15 AM PDT
In reply to: You might be safe

There are entirely different and sadly confusing at first.

If I have a Net 1.0 application and remove Net 1.0 but install Net 2.0, everytime (for me) the Net 1.0 application fails since it can't find it's library.

The "version" of Net 1.0 is that SP(number). You want the latest SP for each issue of Net you need.

Hope this clears this up. Sorry if I was unclear.

Bob

Collapse -
Yes, I understand
by Dango517 / October 4, 2007 11:15 AM PDT

.net 1 is not .net 2 whether or not there are version within each .net I don't recall and will not take the time to look it up.

Good to know that SP1 corresponds with .net 1, etc. I'll make a mental note of it.

I'd still not advise uninstalling them but if you do they can be replaced if you remember the version you've uninstalled.

Some time ago I was working with Visual Basis and noticed that one of the .net was included in it. Had I not notice during the install. I might have deleted it form the add/remove programs. I spent some time examining this feature and will stick with my opinion.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.