iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

Question

Should i trade my N7 for an iPad?

by shonboy / April 15, 2013 9:33 PM PDT

Hey guys, until a week ago i never used any apple product while having many android devices: galaxy nexus, s3 and nexus 7 (still have) and now that my s3 broke i switched to iPhone 4s and i love it for it's speed, smoothes of the browser and all the apps and it generally feels much faster than any of my previous android devices. My question is should i trade my nexus 7 for an iPad now with some extra cash, because i decided i really like ios mostly because of it's constant smoothness and speed but i've never used an iPad so i'm after some tips. My nexus 7 has been performing generally well but recently, especially when comparing it to the 4s i see it's underperforming regardless of theoretically superior hardware. I found that i stopped doing all those things that made android my choice some time ago, like customization, LWPs and such. Also i need to know is it worth getting the iPad 4 over iPad 3 considering that i live i'll probably go for wifi only model and i live in a 3g only country so 4g isn't really an option. Tnx in advance Happy

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Should i trade my N7 for an iPad?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Should i trade my N7 for an iPad?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
My opinion....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / April 15, 2013 10:11 PM PDT

I own both an iPad and a Nexus 7. I like the Nexus better, but I do like my iPad. I find the Nexus is more flexible and open (for installation of apps) than the iPad. Don't get me wrong, I am not poor mouthing the iPad. It is a very good device and suits many people's needs. I use my Nexus for professional reasons and the browser operates much much more like a PC than on the iPad.

Collapse -
What's the primary difference?
by shonboy / April 15, 2013 11:51 PM PDT
In reply to: My opinion....

Which android are you running on your N7? I have latest 4.2.2 on mine and as i said in the post i see noticeable difference in general performance between iPhone 4s and the N7 which has occasional stuttering, crashes sometimes etc. These are not huge problems but i can get the iPad 3 by adding about 100$ and exchanging my N7 and bigger size, more fluid system and more optimized apps are the factors that weigh on buying the iPad, which would you pick as a more consumer oriented device seeing you have them both. Using them for net, movies, music, books and occasionally some games...

Collapse -
My Nexus 7
by birdmantd Forum moderator / April 16, 2013 12:13 AM PDT

....is running the same version of Android as yours. For the types of applications you mention, the iPad may be a better choice. Keep in mind that while I do use my Nexus for recreational uses as well, the primary use is professional which the Nexus does excel in over my iPad. The iPad is an excellent product and I don't question that.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Go with either the iPad 3 or iPad 4
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 15, 2013 9:42 PM PDT

both are good devices and you will not be disappointed with their performance

P

Collapse -
But which one :/
by shonboy / April 15, 2013 10:09 PM PDT

Yeah i'm planning to take one of them but idk is iPad 4 worth the 100-120$ extra that it costs here seeing that i can't get 4g lte anyway :/

Collapse -
Go with the iPad 3
by birdmantd Forum moderator / April 15, 2013 10:13 PM PDT
In reply to: But which one :/

Save the extra $$ since the differences between the 3 an 4 are minimal.

Collapse -
Thought so...
by shonboy / April 15, 2013 11:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Go with the iPad 3

Yeah i was thinking the same. I've never used any iPad and i know the newer one is faster but if the 3rd gen is fast as the 4s or even little faster than it's enough for me. If someone upgraded from 3 to 4 recently i'd love his opinion..

Collapse -
Go to the Apple site and loook at refurbs
by Pepe7 / April 23, 2013 12:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Thought so...

They have a great price on the 3rd generation iPad (also w/ Retina display) w/LTE. One year warranty on this vs the typical 90 days for other manufacturers refurbished stock.

Collapse -
Good suggestion...
by birdmantd Forum moderator / April 23, 2013 4:25 AM PDT

.....and I agree with the idea of a refurbished device directly from Apple to save $$. Refurbished has a warranty and you can buy the Apple Care options.

Collapse -
Answer
just my opinion
by richroberts972 / April 16, 2013 5:26 PM PDT

I like android better, so for me one vote for n7, but both are god, really

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.