Laptops forum

Resolved Question

Should I switch back to PC?

by heather713 / September 5, 2011 12:30 PM PDT

My hard drive on my 20 month old Mac has died. Took it to the Mac store last week for repair and was told that since I didn't have Apple Care or Time Machine (I used a back up that is Mac compatible instead) that I probably won't recover anything. Everyone knows Mac isn't cheap, but I thought it would be worth the cost to get a better made item. The guys at the Mac store were very clear though that even high priced cars have problems and I can't expect Mac to be perfect all the time. While I don't expect perfection, I expect it to last longer than the PCs I've had! So when I get my Mac back later this week, do I dare continue with it and hope for the best, or should I cut my losses and go back to a less expensive PC that won't hurt my psyche if it dies in two years?

Side note - I used the Mac store instead of a local joint for repairs because I was told I had to use an Apple approved location for warranty purposes (which in retrospect doesn't make sense since it's not covered by warranty anyway!), and the Mac store is closer than any of the places on their short list.

heather713 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Should I switch back to PC?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Should I switch back to PC?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by heather713

Collapse -
And here I just put in some laptop drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2011 1:07 PM PDT

With the very nice hybrid 500GB hitting 80 bucks that's what I use.

I can imagine most folk won't do their own work but Apple does not make hard drives. Sometimes folk forget that.
Bob

Collapse -
MAC or PC
by xSpyderZx / September 7, 2011 11:37 PM PDT

The debate isn't if you should go with mac or pc, the concern here is you not backing up your data. On any format of hardware and os, data should always be backed up for cases like these. No matter if you spend $1,700 on a mac or a $300 pc, if you don't back up your data, you will always find yourself in these situations if there is a hardware failure.

To answer your question about to get a pc or mac that will last you more than to years...The answer is simple, if you go with a mac, then you should get all the warrenties possible with the device since the product is alot more money. Going with a pc, enables you to use that product and then in due time replace it and continue on with the fast evolution of the technology.

Buying or building a mac or pc is always a troubling task and with enough research, you will know what you need the machine to do.

Conclusio:
Long term:
-go with mac and pay the extra monthy cost for the protection plans.
-build or buy a pc that will last with the latest and greatest technologies to withstand new technologies
Short term:
-go with a pc, cheap start up cost and easily replaced if hardware failure occurs.

Hope this helps

~Spyderz

Collapse -
Inexcuseable today.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2011 1:35 AM PDT
In reply to: MAC or PC

We have how many online backups such as DropBox (even the free one!) and what else can we use to keep our files safe?

There are those that never heard that hard drives fail. No Apple or PC seller I know talks to the new user about backup. I can only guess the industry thinks "They'll figure it out."
Bob

Collapse -
It is backed up
by heather713 / September 8, 2011 6:05 AM PDT
In reply to: MAC or PC

Thanks for the thoughts - and good point about paying more in protection if the item costs more initially. Great advice and I'll take that to heart.

Collapse -
After swapping too many drives.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2011 6:21 AM PDT
In reply to: It is backed up

For most machines, most of us can change these drives.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.