Windows Vista forum

General discussion

should i shouldnt i.

by ronswor / April 17, 2007 6:58 PM PDT

ive just recieved my free vista home premium disc off dell (well free besides

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: should i shouldnt i.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: should i shouldnt i.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have Vista and like it
by glb613 / April 17, 2007 10:47 PM PDT
In reply to: should i shouldnt i.

I've installed a lot of games and programs without any problems.

Collapse -
I'd Like my Money Back
by Wagney / April 20, 2007 12:13 PM PDT

I really think I've wasted my money on Vista...or should I call it XP service pack 3?

Collapse -
I would wait
by mopscare42 / April 18, 2007 12:38 AM PDT

I still can't get drivers and software for my scanner and a lot of programs are not yet compatable with Vista.
The people I have talked to at Microsoft, HP and a couple others say that things are starting to happen much faster now and vendors realize they have to get their products Vista compatable as soon as possible.
HP seems to be the worst and their excuse is they have thousands of products to upgrade, but they even say things should be much better by the 1st of July.

Collapse -
getting a new pc: go with vista or xp?
by MissTCD / April 19, 2007 8:15 AM PDT
In reply to: I would wait

I'm getting a new PC and am nervous about getting vista. I haven't bought a PC in years and always headed the user's rule on MS: don't buy the newest MS OS when it first comes out because it's a mess. So I've been debating on getting a powerful PC that is Vista compatible, but getting it loaded with XP Pro. Should I do this or take the Vista plunge? Is Vista Ultimate more stable than the others? Or just leave vista alone for now?

Collapse -
RE: getting a new pc: go with vista or xp?
by cabbiinc / April 19, 2007 3:53 PM PDT

I would stay with XP for now. I bought a new PC in March of this year with Vista installed on it. My older PC had 98se, still worked pretty good but had problems finding software for it, so I took the plunge. Now I regret it. Nothing works with Vista. My printer/scanner/copier that I've had for a few years (Lexmark X75) will scan but not print or copy. I bought a Bluetooth/USB tongle at the same time as the new PC, just refuses to work. Tech support emails back with "Please be advised.... not vista compatible." Bought a TV tuner card at same time as PC. Had to download drivers for Vista off website and still buggy and blotchy. Bought 'Middle School Success Delluxe 2007' software for my daughter to get ahead and even though the box states "Windows XP or higher" their tech support informs me that Windows Media Player is not backwords compatible for Vista, but if I had tried it on my old 98se PC it probably would have worked just fine.

Bottom line is I am telling every one I know to not buy Vista yet. Its just too buggy when trying to find anything that works with it. And yes it has crashed twice on me and locked up completely once, requiring a hard re-boot.

User Account Control is very annoying, but you can turn it off.
Indexing my entire hard drive is scarry, somebody will come up with a virus that exploits it, but you can turn it off.
Half the cool new and exciting features aren't available on the basic program and I'll be tied to a pig and roasted if I'm gonna spit out another $100 just to see things a little different.
Office 2007 has re-arranged everything in the way of tools, so for now until I re-learn where everything is and what they call it now its incredibly time consuming. You go one place to make headers and footers but someplace else to change them later.
I have my new Vista PC and my wifes XP PC on the same hub but Vista refuses to see the other PC even though XP sees Vista just fine.

Bottom line is, for right now about the only thing I can do with Vista is surf the web, unless I want to go out and buy more expensive stuff. Pretty cool huh?

Final note: I would have bought XP but the one store I was at was sold out and M$ isn't gonna ship them any more. I should have gone to a different store. Get your XP while you still can.

Collapse -
Thank you for your feedback
by MissTCD / April 21, 2007 2:01 AM PDT

I just wanted confirmation to leave vista alone. I'm going to stick with my first thought and get XP.

Collapse -
Can you go back?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 18, 2007 12:41 AM PDT

That is, do you have a disaster plan ready?

For me it would not be unreasonable to clone your drive, install the update and see if it all works out. If not you can go back.

Collapse -
can you go back
by ronswor / April 18, 2007 2:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Can you go back?

thanks for the other 2 replies as well, but my main reply is to bob, been a bit of a thicko when it comes to things like cloning my hard drive how would i do that? but would you recommend waiting or installing, i think you are well up on pc tech as i have read a lot of your replies in other forums.
ps: the dell vista disc came with another disc,the dell vista upgrade assistant DVD.which tells you of all updates and upgrades required.

Collapse -
Yes, you can do a clone and more..
by b8375629 / April 23, 2007 1:45 AM PDT
In reply to: can you go back

Yes, you can get Acronis or Ghost and create a backup image of your current drive, either as an unused space on your HD or on DVD-R, DVD+R etc...

But why install now. Wait about a year until Vista has all the kinks worked out of it and IT folks in the workplace will begin supporting it. Wait for the Vista equlivent of Service Pack 2.

Collapse -
Walter Mossberg in 4-19 Wall street jorunal
by rgfitz / April 19, 2007 8:31 AM PDT
Collapse -
Question is not should i? but rather, will you?
by soldano / April 19, 2007 9:50 PM PDT

Question is not should i? but rather, will you?

Have you checked to see if all the drivers you require for your computer and peripheral devices exist from the vendors?

Collapse -
ShouldI Shouldn't I
by edbrady / April 20, 2007 12:34 PM PDT

I wouldn't install Vista if it was given to me! Every single person I know who has upgraded has had problems. Most of them caused by Microsoft.

Drivers won't work. Apps won't work. Everything needs an upgrade (almost), and Microsoft doesn't want to let anyone know too much about the operating system. (It might lead to security problems!)

Give me a break! There were security problems with Vista before it was ever released!

Nope. Won't touch it for a year--maybe more.

Collapse -
by marspike7 / April 20, 2007 2:03 PM PDT
In reply to: ShouldI Shouldn't I

I bought Vista premium upgrade for my HP Mini Tower.Put it on around 3 weeks ago.

Looks pretty, thats where it begins and where it ends.

Absolute nightmare!

In my opinion it has been released way to early.And as for the UAC (User Administrative Control).........

Save your self a LOT of grief, time and energy and turn it into a drink coaster.

I spent 2 weeks unloading, reloading, updating (went $75.00 over my internet limit) only for windows explorer to stop working. Restart, stops, restarts, stops. Tried restore, repair, everything known to me.

2 weeks work down the drain. I'm seriously looking at going Mac.

Collapse -
by robertofl / April 20, 2007 3:24 PM PDT

One of the replys says that it should have been made an service pack 3 for XP Pro. I hole heartedly agree with him. As far as I am concerned I will go to linux os before I will install vista. Microsoft just wants to make money. With Bill Gates Leaving microsoft to use the money he made for people like you and me on other pet projects he cares less about microsoft now. He has mad his Billions of dollars from us and now he don't care. Vista is just a piece of junk, just like when they came out with windows XP Home, it's a quick fix for windows 98SE. A cripple of windows XPPro. If you don't have an updated computer with a lot of ram and a big hard drive and an updated graphics card then forget about loading Vista. I have a copy of Vista Home Premium. I ran it just for the heck of it on my other computer. It has a P4 3.2 400MHZ FSB. Hyperthreaded. with 4 GB's of memory. and a 320 seagate SATA hard drive. With a Ultra 6800 Video card with 1 GB DDR3 memory. It wouldn't even boot. Windows came up telling me that there was not enough memory and also the graphics card was outdated. Vista Sucks, and Bill Gates can put it where the sun don't shine, excuse my english. I recommend to my customers that if they want Vista loaded then they can take it some where eles to have it loaded.I will not have anything to do with Vista! But it's your choice, if you want to have to hunt for things then by all means run Vista. As there is no My Documents with Vista.

Collapse -
by Rapier / April 20, 2007 5:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Vista

Tell us how you really feel DJHRVV !!! I think you meant Windows ME not Windows XP Home.

Collapse -
by TAYLHORA / April 20, 2007 3:55 PM PDT

Collapse -
You'll waiting a very long time.....
by soldano / April 20, 2007 4:32 PM PDT
In reply to: LOADING VISTA

Microsoft has been fixing XP for the past 5 years and it still has updates daily. Should I wait until they have it perfect and there are no more updates before I install?

If apply that logic to vista then it will be 6 years from now before I can load it on my 'puter.

But wait why would I do that since I run far superior software.....Linux and Mac

Collapse -
you should NOT
by anton.vanwamelen / April 20, 2007 7:29 PM PDT

instead try to upgrade by D3LL to the ULTIMATE version, all other is just crapola.

Collapse -
I wouldnt
by christoph1176 / April 21, 2007 12:26 AM PDT

I bought a new HP computer about 2 months ago and I was a bit excited to try the "new" OS from big brother, but that excitement has turned to dissappointment. Its almost all cosmetic. Vista is really more of a headache than anything. They have added new "features" to try to assist the less qualified population in using their computer, but it has essentially ruined it for those of us who are well versed in computer and OS operation. Quick simple tasks have now become a pain in the butt. AND I HATE THE NEW START MENU!!
I have a 3yr old Alienware laptop running XP, and through various updates, addons and modifications, I have a rock solid OS. I cant say the same for my vista install. I realize that it is still a new program, but its very frustrating to have my new AMD 64 X2 4600 with 3GB RAM, 320GB HDD, 512MB Radeon 1950 Pro and SB X-fi Fata1ity Pro brought to its knees by a program that flies on a Intel P4 3.2Ghz with 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD, 128MB Radeon and sound onboard. Yes, I have all of the latest drivers and I know how to configure them correctly. The efficiency just is not there. Vista kind of tells you itself that it is a resource hog too. When you get your "index score" via the OS, the 3d graphics/gaming score is almost always higher than the Vista Aero score. I realize there are different factors in the two scores, but you have wonder how much of a hit gaming performance is taking with a bloated shell runnning in the background. And I am not just a gamer, I use a lot of 3D creation programs like 3DSMax, Poser, DazStudio and Bryce as well as many DTP programs.
Long story short, my little venture into Vista is almost over. I have a new copy of XP that will soon be replacing my "most advanced operating system". I recommend sticking with XP.

Collapse -
My Dell supplied upgrade works fine
by breslin / April 21, 2007 1:20 AM PDT

I got the Dell upgrade discs for my Dell laptop and it worked fine.

I did a clean install. First I copied all my data to a USB hard drive. Then I booted from the Vista DVD, reformatted the Hard drive and installed Vista. The disc from Dell had Vista drivers for all of the hardware, so I went into Device manager and updated all of the drivers using the driver disc from Dell. Then I installed all of the applications, copied all the data from the USB drive, and everything went without a hitch.

I'm sure the situation would be different if I was using applications that were not Vista compatible, or if I was using some hardware that did not have Vista drivers. You can check with the source for the hardware or software to see if they are compatible with Vista.

Collapse -
check Dell for current drivers
by alan_marks59 / April 22, 2007 3:43 AM PDT

The other thing I would check is with suport downloads from Dell, download all of the updated drivers for your machine from Dell, burn them to a cd. This insures you will have the proper drivers for YOUR machine in case the generic drivers don't work. I received my Inspiron E1505 with Vista home premium, and though everything worked out of the box I spent the beter part of the first evening updating drivers through both Vista update and Just know that programs are being updated almost daily, including Vista itself.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.