Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Should I rechanger my battery fully or half way???

by billli726 / August 28, 2006 8:32 AM PDT

I heard from previous podcast that recharging mp3 player's battery full will shorten the life spand of the battery. At the same time I have heard people say that you should always fully discharge the battery before recharging. So what it is? How to prolong my mp3 players battery life?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Should I rechanger my battery fully or half way???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Should I rechanger my battery fully or half way???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What battery technology?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 28, 2006 8:40 AM PDT

Let's read about LiOn batteries at Battery U.

" A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles. The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible. Instead, charge the battery more often or use a larger battery. There is no concern of memory when applying unscheduled charges. "

It appears to dispute what you heard.

Collapse -
A full discharge
by J.G. / August 28, 2006 11:05 AM PDT

I've always heard that a full discharge is better since the days of NiCads. Using the full cycle is said to avoid memory effect, i.e., the battery thinking it has a shorter run time than it does. I can't think of any reason that this rule, which applies to laptop batteries, would be any different for MP3 players with hard drives.

As for my experience, I've had every generation of iPod and the batteries have all lasted for at least a year.

Collapse -
So you disagree with Battery U's writings?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 28, 2006 11:32 AM PDT
In reply to: A full discharge

Before you reply, read the credentials of the authors.

Collapse -
Don't see the logic
by J.G. / August 30, 2006 3:14 PM PDT

The hard drive used in an iPod is virtually identical to those used in laptops, so I don't see why they should be discharged in opposite ways. If someone offered a rational explanation for treating them differently, I might change my mind. I am not saying one should never recharge after partially discharging, only that a full discharge fairly often is probably a good idea.

As far as I can tell, Apple has not taken a position against full discharging, only saying people should recharge their iPods when it is convenient. It focuses on battery cycles, emphasizing the battery is designed with 400 full cycles prior to not being fully rechargeable:

Seems to me that Battery U needs to convince the biggest seller of MP3 players in the world that partial discharges are best, not just an individual.

Collapse -
Which leaves my question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 30, 2006 9:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Don't see the logic

Did you find out who the author of Battery U is?

If you research this a little then you understand it's not without merit.

Of course you should do what you want since it's your battery.

Collapse -
Charge it up
by albizzia / September 2, 2006 3:46 PM PDT

Charge the battery fully, however, you should take it off the charger when it is fully charged.

as for how often to recharge, that depends on the battery type:

LiIon batteries can be recharged whenever it is convenient. Avoid fully discharging them, that shortens their life.

NiCad prefers full cycles, that is, full charge and full discharge cycles. Repeated partial discharges and recharges can cause a decrease in capacity that is termed "memory effect" (it "memorizes" a reduced capacity).

NiMH resists the "memory effect", they can be recharged frequently. Avoid fully discharging them. They will last longest if you can keep them between 90% and 40% of full charge - but that's difficult to do with small devices and simple standard chargers.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.