Laptops forum

Should I purchase the HP ENVY dv7?

by vicvulture / December 19, 2012 10:50 PM PST

Hi all Happy

More specifically the laptop is I'm interested in is the HP ENVY dv7-7207TX NB PC

The features are:

- Windows 8 64
- Intel® Core® i7-3630QM (2.4 GHz, 6 MB L3 cache)
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M (2 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
- 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 (2 x 8 GB)
- 2 x 750 GB SATA (5400 rpm)
- Blu-ray player and SuperMulti DVD burner
- 17.3" HD+ BrightView LED-backlit Display (1600 x 900)

What I'm going to do with the laptop:
- word processing (e.g. microsoft word, excel, powerpoint etc)
- audio and video streaming (e.g. YouTube)
- gaming (e.g. skyrim, company of heroes etc)

Considering the specs and what I want to do on a laptop, is the HP ENVY dv7-7207TX NB PC a good choice?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Should I purchase the HP ENVY dv7?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Should I purchase the HP ENVY dv7?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Seems nice. Service is my worry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2012 11:43 PM PST

A little over a year ago I had a 3 month old HP laptop with a problem. The issue was from day 1 and at 3 months I thought I'd get HP to look into it. EIGHT HOURS on the phone and finally they take it to their repair depot. At NINE MONTHS the laptop was still dead from their repairs and I wrote it off.

If HP can't repair their gear in 6 months and walk on the warranty, it's not a company I can write nice about. I've since picked up more Dells, a few from Acer, Asus, Sony and other names.

PS. A social rep tried to help but as HP has no way to correct the product flaw, they can't fix it.

Collapse -
I'd be concerned about support
by wpgwpg / December 20, 2012 12:03 AM PST

I agree with Bob re HP's support. Close to 4 years ago I bought a HP desktop, and it was the first PC I'd ever had with PCIe expansion slots for other than video. I called their tech support to ask about PCIe and was told it was the same thing as PCI which is absolutely false. I tried to help a friend restore a HP computer once and tried to buy a set of restore discs from HP. On 3 successive occasions they sent the wrong discs. We ended buying a fresh copy of Windows and re-installing everything from scratch. I had a few other similar calls to them before I gave up. The desktop is still running just fine, so I'm extremely thankful I didn't have to depend on them for repairs. Dell, Toshiba, and Asus would be better choices in my opinion.

Good luck.

Collapse -
More information
by vicvulture / December 20, 2012 3:17 PM PST

I've been avoiding Dell because the last few PCs I had were all from Dell; they all only lasted a little over a year, (as in they all broke or stopped responding).

Another thing that I forgot to mention is that I would like the laptop to be able to handle multi-tasking.

I found another laptop that has similar specs but it's a Sony Vaio: VAIO S 15.5 SVS15126PG

- Windows 8 Pro 64 bit
- Intel® Core™ i7-3632QM Processor 2.20 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.20 GHz*1
- Intel® HM77 Express Chipset
- Cache Memory - 6 MB (L3 Cache)
- RAM - 8 GB (4 GB (On Board) + 4 GB (SO-DIMM) x 1) DDR3L SDRAM*2 (upgradeable up to 12 GB*3)
- Hard Disk - 750 GB*4 (Serial ATA, 5400 rpm)
- DVD SuperMulti Drive
- NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 640M LE GPU(SPEED MODE) / Intel® HD Graphics 4000(STAMINA MODE)
- Dedicated Video Memory - 2 GB DDR3 (SPEED MODE)
- 15.5 inch wide (Full HD: 1920 x 1080) TFT colour display (VAIO™ Display Plus, LED backlight)

Is the Sony Vaio a better choice than the HP laptop?

Collapse -
Still very nice GAMER laptop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2012 1:20 AM PST
In reply to: More information

Keep in mind that GAMER machines do have reduced life spans. I see them need repair after a few years. This is not a product flaw. It's due to pushing the envelope of space and more. The heat goes up compared to a desktop and the life span falls.

Most gamers accept that.

Haven't had any issue with Sony for years. And their service here in the US has been non-eventful.

Collapse -
If you encounter WiFi loss of connection with this model...
by 7Sa7nt7 / October 10, 2013 1:49 PM PDT

Loss or no WiFi Connection on HP ENVY dv7... Safe and Easy fix!!!

Old-dated BIOS is the problem! So, all we need to do is update it!

You can do it either by means of "Updates and tune-ups" button in "HP Support Assistant", or by manually downloading and installing latest version of BIOS for your particular HP laptop model (in this case, make sure your laptop is plugged in to power adapter/outlet and that you follow all installation instructions precisely!).

I hope this helps! Good luck!

A more thorough explanation..................

My Personal Experience: My sibling's laptop of this model came with old BIOS F.23 (dated 12/14/2012)... after updating it, it became F.28 (dated 07/25/2013) and the problem disappeared. Yes, HP sells laptops with a year old BIOS! Booooooo!!!!! Happy

Solution: (In Windows Cool on "Start Menu" page in "HP apps" section find and click on "HP Support Assistant" shortcut... the app will open. In this app click on "Updates and tune-ups" button... and follow the instructions installing all the updates (they will include a newer version of BIOS)! That's it!

To Check BIOS Version: While on your desktop, click simultaneously two buttons: "fn" and "Esc". "System Information" window will appear. Amongst all other information, you will see section: BIOS (Configuration) with a version number right beside it. Example: In our situation it was a year old BIOS with a version number F.23 (dated 12/14/2012)... instead of F.28 (dated 07/25/2013).

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.