Phones forum

Question

Should I Get Android or Windows Phone 8?

by rmintzes / August 16, 2012 3:01 AM PDT

I suppose this can qualify as general discussion as well, but it's been nagging at me for a while and I figured I'd air it out here in the technosphere. Forgive the length of this, but I have a lot of thoughts that factor into this question.

I currently have an iPhone 4, which by all accounts has served me well over the last year and a half. I will soon be coming due for an upgrade, and I feel the iOS interface has become a little stale for my tastes (full disclosure: I also have an iPad 2, but I don't plan on replacing that anytime soon).

With this in mind, I've reached a dilemma: for my next phone, should I go with something running Android, or should I go to Windows Phone 8?

My history with technology is mixed. I'm not a developer, but I guess one could categorize me as an "advanced consumer." I can move back and forth pretty seamlessly between Mac OS X and Windows (I was a Mac devotee until I entered the architecture profession, which has a much stronger Windows base), and I know how to manipulate each of the big 3 mobile operating systems. Learning curve has no bearing on this decision, as I will hunker down and learn what I have to, provided I know I made the right choice for myself.

I like the fact that Android is open source, and think the Holo interface of ICS is gorgeous (I'm not really one for the UI skins made by some of the manufacturers), but I know of many people complaining about the fact that the operating system updates don't roll out on a unified schedule. My dad and brother had the LG Ally and spent a long time wondering if they were ever going to get Android FroYo (they eventually got iPhones). At least I know that Windows Phone would have a coordinated update, since it's not open source. As someone in a design field, I'm pretty much in love with the Windows Phone/Windows 8 interface (I'm not saying that all designers automatically love it, but I personally do because of my own background). It's simple, crisp, and clean. I love the emphasis on typography and icons, and the live tiles look very useful. I've grown tired of glossy and faux-3D effects.

My concern has more to do with general apps and how I organize my life. I have pretty much everything on Google: G-Mail, Google Drive/Docs, Calendar, Google Play Music. It's my go-to for search and for maps, and I haven't ventured too far beyond it except for using Bing on occasion. I feel that as Microsoft builds in more support, I'd be able to natively sync my Google data with the WP system (or can that be done already?). WP has the fewest apps out there designed by Google, but that could change in the next 6 months and the necessary apps could be available. WP has Facebook (and I've heard very good things about social integration), and I can read my Kindle books on it, look on Yelp, and that's mainly it. Save for a few other apps, I think I use about 10-15% of the apps that I currently have on my iPhone, so having a smaller app base isn't necessarily a problem. The only game I ever really play anymore is Tetris, and if I feel the need to play any other game, I do so on my iPad. Furthermore, I also like the fact that WP8 and Windows 8 will be sharing the Windows NT core, considering that the next laptop I get will most likely be running Windows 8 (currently using a Windows 7 ThinkPad that I heavily used and abused in architecture school). I imagine the phone and computer would be able to sync together nicely (one can hope).

So, forgive all the rambling, but as you can see I'm trying to ponder this more heavily than just the look of the operating system and social integration (thumbs up Windows) or just Google integration (thumbs up Android). Hardware specs don't mean as much to me for this decision (don't get me wrong...I like a powerful piece of hardware as much as the next person, but since I'm not in this for tons of video and games, and I don't take phone pictures besides the impromptu snapshot, it's not the guiding light here).

So...thoughts anyone?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Should I Get Android or Windows Phone 8?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Should I Get Android or Windows Phone 8?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
In my opinion.....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / August 16, 2012 3:09 AM PDT

At this time, Android is far more robust operating system and a better choice than Windows Mobile. Currently, Microsoft is going to have to play catchup and offer far more applications to effectively compete. Far more developers are designing apps for Android and Apple than for WM. Microsoft is a little late to the party as I see things. Sure, they had some earlier WM devices but they did not sell well and had mediocre support/acceptance. Don't get me wrong, it may be a good product, but I have yet to have a desire or need to buy a WM device.

Just my $.02 worth on the matter.

Collapse -
Answer
Just one ACE card.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 16, 2012 2:51 PM PDT

MSFT is very likely to put Office on the tablets. That could be their ACE card or "Hail Mary Pass" (depends on your point of view.)
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.