iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

Question

Should i Get a iPad 2 or a laptop ?

by gaminogabriel / July 16, 2011 8:15 AM PDT

Hi.I'm looking for advise on weather to get a laptop or a iPad 2. I would use it for school along with the average use of games web ect.Please let's me know which you think is better and why Thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Should i Get a iPad 2 or a laptop ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Should i Get a iPad 2 or a laptop ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Laptop
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 16, 2011 9:30 AM PDT

The iPad is good but it is not really that suited for school work. (IMO)

Collapse -
laptop
by birdmantd Forum moderator / July 16, 2011 11:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Laptop

I agree with the prior post that a laptop would be a far better choice in this circumstance.

Collapse -
The IPAD 2 just won't hack it.
by DWyant / August 17, 2011 6:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Laptop

I agree that it's restricted, but can't imagine what software could be required for classes? IPAD is a media toy, not a computer--too many engineered in restrictions (gotta buy from Apple) or missing interfaces (e.g. USB)

Collapse -
I agree
by NavyCorpsman2326 / February 22, 2012 7:02 AM PST

I have to agree. The Ipad is an Awesome device/pad. Great Visual display second to none. But its a NERD toy for games and vids etc. it lacks the interfaces(USB) and has too many restrictions. A laptop is the way to go here...but i still love the IPAD Happy

Collapse -
Answer
Laptop
by KTJW88 / July 23, 2011 5:52 AM PDT

Hello gaminogabriel,

To answer your question, my better suggestion is to buy a laptop because you have to use it for your school works, and iPad have some restriction on it. Laptop will protect you from virus and other bad things, but not 100%. On side note, iPad have some flaws on it although people will tell you the difference. But remember, it is your money and you have to like your gadget and protect yourself from bad causes.

Kevin

Collapse -
Answer
school a priority
by softchicken / July 24, 2011 9:35 PM PDT

no doubt that if you are using it for school, a conventional laptop will serve you better.

Collapse -
Answer
iPad 2 or Laptop?
by baddog6915 / August 1, 2011 1:21 AM PDT

I like to tell people that Ipads are for entertainment and notebooks are for work. The iPad is great for books, games, taking short notes and recording lectures. The notebooks allow you to do work, like creating and editing papers, real research and anything that involves a lot of typing.
On a side note, I recommend that you get a notebook that has the spill proof keyboards.

Collapse -
Answer
Should i Get a iPad 2 or a laptop ?
by BestiPhoneWallpaper / August 8, 2011 9:19 PM PDT

I think laptop is best than iPad 2
because laptop has so many functions as compared to iPad and you can also carry with you laptop like ipad2..

Collapse -
Answer
better for school
by samisgray / August 10, 2011 2:26 PM PDT

First, its "whether", just saying since you're going into school and that'd be useful to know..
Second, I agree with the most of the comments here that say iPad 2 is no replacement for a real computer. you should definitely get a laptop for school use.

Collapse -
Answer
Macbook Pro for sure
by zapatasghost / August 12, 2011 8:43 AM PDT

I also vote for laptop - but only if you're going w/ a Mac...you get what you pay for. Try to get the "back to school" deal at Best Buy - they'll give you $100 gift card (versus Apple's lame back to school deal of $100 iTunes/App store card). I would get an iPod Touch (or the iPad if you insist) w/ the Mac - If you get Best Buy's "sale" price and/or online price for both the Macbook and iPod and apply the $100 toward the iPod - that just about "matches" Apple's "education" price as well as the $100 gift card deal - only better because you get more than $100 off an iPod (vs just for iTunes/App store).

Collapse -
All due respect....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / August 12, 2011 9:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Macbook Pro for sure

Mac laptops are very expensive compared to a Windows laptop. The average student may have limited resources and there are far more affordable WIndows systems available. The average Macbook starts near $1000 and goes up from there vs. a Windows system starting @ $300 and up from there. Simple mathematics to me. I use a Macbook Air but wouldn't recommend it for the average student.

Collapse -
A nod to the about 1K MacBook.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2011 1:36 AM PDT

It's well built and hits all the right marks without any pretention about gaming. It's very nice and I expect them to last the 4 years without much ado.

There is some extra costs if you need VMWare's Fusion and Windows but most will sail along without speeding their spare time scanning for malware.
Bob

Collapse -
In understand what you are saying. ....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / August 13, 2011 2:26 AM PDT

but since many students may be on a limited budget, a MacBook is still a very expensive item. An MS Windows system is much more affordable for most people.

Collapse -
Not if you count the replacements in years 2 or 3.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2011 5:44 AM PDT

Frankly after a few kids through college now I think the one that we got the Mac for was the lowest cost solution as they are at year 6 with their now old MacBook Pro.
All the Windows laptops are dead.
Bob

Collapse -
ipad
by lucacoleman / August 15, 2011 2:53 AM PDT

You can get all the features with an ipad...:)

Collapse -
No you can't
by birdmantd Forum moderator / August 15, 2011 6:05 AM PDT
In reply to: ipad

Last I checked, the iPad lacks an internal CD/DVD drive, cannot be expanded (system RAM, hard drive or Solid State Drive memory, CPU) by the consumer (without voiding the warranty). I haven't heard of an application that allows printers to plug directly into the iPad and not all printers can print wireless from an iPad. The iPad is not meant to be a desktop replacement in it's current form. "Not ready for prime time", yet.

Collapse -
The iPad is not meant to be a replacement for a laptop,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 15, 2011 6:24 AM PDT
In reply to: No you can't

with that in mind, the iPad is certainly "ready for Prime Time"

P

Collapse -
I only meant
by birdmantd Forum moderator / August 15, 2011 7:37 AM PDT

...that the iphone isn't yet a laptop replacement yet, but may be eventually. It is what it is and is no substitute for another device. I would compare it to an oversized cell phone without the cellular components.

Collapse -
(NT) I meant iPad....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / August 15, 2011 8:38 AM PDT
In reply to: I only meant
Collapse -
Answer
Laptop
by chu_nicholas / October 1, 2011 11:39 PM PDT

iPad is not more for school. The iPad is more for leisure

Collapse -
Answer
Definitely a laptop
by HailApple / October 4, 2011 4:28 AM PDT

I'm a big fan of iPad. But when it comes to school, you must definitely want it to "Do-it-all", right? iPad can't replace laptop on that context. iPad is only suitable for a controlled work environment, or for personal usage case, you controlling how you run your environment. School works, lab works, you must need to install some software along the way. If you're in engineering, which I was, iPad is definitely out of the question. Unless you want to start acquiring iOS development skill and make the apps for you while you're at school.

Collapse -
Answer
ur answer
by ChrisMollfulleda / October 13, 2011 8:31 AM PDT

well they both have their perks....
depending on what you need it for will decide what you will buy. if its for entertainment go iPad all the way.
i recommend the iPad because you can buy keyboards for it, and if you don't like how apple works, you can always jailbreak it and make it work how you want.
i would get the ipad if i were you

Collapse -
Answer
I Vote IPAD 2!
by j_vick / October 13, 2011 11:43 PM PDT

A laptop has a lot of bonuses and by default would be safe but remember that Ipad has the capability of connecting to a removable keyboard and has awesome programs like pages, numbers, and keynote that provide you with everything you need to complete a homework assignment or presentation. Plus the games on it are awesome! Playing games on a computer will cost you more and you will have to make sure your computer is fast/powerful enough to render graphics for high-end gaming. If this is for college work and you need certain software or program to use, go to the library. All schools are required by law to have the software required in the classroom installed on their public computer for student use. IPAD 2

Collapse -
Answer
Go with the Laptop, get the IPAD later for gaming
by NavyCorpsman2326 / February 22, 2012 7:14 AM PST

Just remember this:
IPad=FUN
Laptop=Work

The Ipad is an Awesome device/pad. Great Visual display second to none. But its a NERD toy for games and vids etc. it lacks the interfaces(USB) and has too many restrictions. A laptop is the way to go here...but i still love the IPAD
If you go with the laptop, you may not get that "OOOOH he has an IPAD" look from all your friends...but you'll be able to pretty much do with your laptop anything the ipad can and more........plus you'll have a USB port and wont have all the restrictions of Apple. Dont get me wrong....apple is AWESOME with a capital AWE.....but still, it does have a lot of drawbacks. Good luck on your choice.

Collapse -
Answer
iPad 2
by pinkzroxor / March 5, 2012 11:50 AM PST

5 years ago, I probably would've went with the laptop.
But now, it's a different story. Things are moving fast and you really don't have time to sit for like 5 minutes and wait for your laptop to boot up. Even after it boots up, it will take another couple minutes to start your tasks. Although iPad doesn't have all the features that laptops have but it is a tablet after all. I would go with the iPad if you're looking for something to use for school and web surfing.

Collapse -
poor advice
by birdmantd Forum moderator / March 5, 2012 12:44 PM PST
In reply to: iPad 2

If you want to get the same startup speed as in iPad, try an Ultrabook with a SSD installed. I own a MacBook Air and it starts up in mere seconds and is ready to go. An iPad is just not a good device for school-bound student but it is good for most internet access. An iPad is not a desktop replacement like a laptop can be. An iPad is far too limited for serious computing needs.

Collapse -
Re:
by pinkzroxor / March 6, 2012 9:54 AM PST
In reply to: poor advice

I get all my school work done using my iPad so I don't think it's not a good device for school

but I don't oppose to your opinion, it isn't a desktop replacement like a laptop

Collapse -
Not sure I would classify the iPad as
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 5, 2012 9:51 PM PST
In reply to: iPad 2
Collapse -
In my opinion....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / March 5, 2012 11:33 PM PST

....once there is an attached, physical keyboard it is no longer a tablet computer. Looks more like a hybrid laptop from the link to Newegg.com.

Collapse -
(NT) yet all are described as Tablets
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 6, 2012 3:18 AM PST
In reply to: In my opinion....
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.