Computer Help forum

General discussion

Should I delete the recovery file on my hard drive?

by Mr_Hym / July 13, 2008 4:06 AM PDT

I have a recovery file on my laptop's hard drive that's about 10 GB. When I first got my laptop, I also saved all of my recovery data to a set of discs. I could really use the extra hard drive space, but I'm worried that the recovery discs might need to access this file in order to work, and then I would be out of luck if I ever need to use them.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Should I delete the recovery file on my hard drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Should I delete the recovery file on my hard drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Should I have told make and model of my laptop?
by Kees Bakker / July 13, 2008 4:18 AM PDT

That's a clear "yes", anyway.

Kees

Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 13, 2008 4:19 AM PDT

"I also saved all of my recovery data to a set of discs."

And do you have a spare copy of that? I can't count the times people had just one set and it didn't work.
Bob

Collapse -
I have two sets
by Mr_Hym / July 13, 2008 4:23 AM PDT
In reply to: No.

Also, my laptop is an HP/Compaq C751NR.

Collapse -
Can only speak for my HP Desktop a1748x...
by glenn30 / July 13, 2008 4:35 AM PDT

The instructions very clearly states the recovery file can be used only once to make a set of Recovery Disks... you are correct in making duplicate sets in case one does not work.

After the Recovery Set Disks are made that space can be used in any way desired since no more recovery disks can be made from it. That is my machine... suggest checking your instructions documents or online with HP for your model laptop.

Glenn

Collapse -
Thanks
by Mr_Hym / July 13, 2008 4:42 AM PDT

I just read through the online guide, it doesn't seem like there is much advantage to the hard drive partition over the discs. I'll keep it for now, but I think it's safe to get rid of it when I get really low on hard drive space.

Collapse -
I think you are right... just read the same thing...
by glenn30 / July 13, 2008 4:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

from the HP site:

http://h10061.www1.hp.com/ccsearch/search?pname=HP%2FCompaq+C751NR&qry=Recovery+disks&submit.x=6&submit.y=6&method=prodFinder&ctry=us&lang=en&dlc=en&sni=&search=0

It's in one of the links on that page. My understanding is once the recovery section has been used to make recovery disks the system will not allow it to be used again for more sets. I think, as you, that the space can be used however you wish. As it is it's just space taken up that is no longer useful.

Thanks for the reply.

Glenn

Collapse -
My thoughts exactly
by Mr_Hym / July 13, 2008 5:03 AM PDT

Thanks for the help.

Collapse -
If you're getting to the point you're considering
by VAPCMD / July 13, 2008 5:56 AM PDT
In reply to: My thoughts exactly

deletion of the recovery partition, it's probably time to do some serious housecleaning or getting/installing a much larger hard disk drive.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Just remember, Mr_Hym...
by Paul C / July 13, 2008 10:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

That if that Compaq is anything like this Gateway I'm using, you can also run the system recovery from the recovery partition, so you might not want to nuke that partition.

Collapse -
I'll keep that in mind
by Mr_Hym / July 13, 2008 10:09 AM PDT

I didn't think about system recovery, I'll make sure to keep that in mind.

Collapse -
Where did my disk space go? (answer)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 13, 2008 5:59 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.