Computer Help forum

General discussion

shortcuts always open minimized...Help!!

by facial1 / October 22, 2009 6:01 AM PDT

Dell Dimension 3000 desktop running XP and using IE8. I recently wiped the harddrive and reloaded XP. Everything works fine except whenever I click on a shortcut on the desktop it opens the window in a small screen. I then have to maximize it...more annoying then anything else. I've tried pulling the corners to make it large then using CTL and the X in the upper right corner. I've tried to right click the shortcut, property ...but there is no run to click so as to change from normal to maximize.
Is there something I'm missing here???

Thanks for any help given

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: shortcuts always open minimized...Help!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: shortcuts always open minimized...Help!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: shortcuts always open minimized...Help!!
by Tufenuf / October 22, 2009 6:29 AM PDT

facial1, Which program are you having the problem with. If it's an actual shortcut under Properties it would have a shortcut tab which would give you the Run: option. If it doesn't try the shortcut in your Start>Programs Menu.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
shortcuts open minimized
by facial1 / October 22, 2009 6:43 AM PDT

It would be the shortcuts that I placed on my desktop for web sites i visit often

Collapse -
Re: shortcuts always open minimized
by Tufenuf / October 22, 2009 9:35 AM PDT

facial1, Follow the instructions at the link below which are for IE7 but would also apply to IE8. It very well may correct your problem.

How do I have an Internet Explorer 7 (IE 7) window open in the maximized position every time?

http://www.mistered.us/wwwboard/questions3.shtml

Tufenuf

Collapse -
shortcuts open minimized
by facial1 / October 22, 2009 7:56 PM PDT

Thanks for the reply. When I click on the IE8 icon on my desk top it will open maximized. I was able to right click it and change run normal to maximize. It's the shortcuts on my desktop that I can't get to open in a maximized window.

Collapse -
Here is the Fix...
by jacobs_jl / July 16, 2013 8:25 PM PDT

For no reason whatsoever other than experimentation, I changed the way in which HTML documents are opened.

Double Click My Computer
Click TOOLS - FOLDER OPTIONS - FILE TYPES Tab.
Scroll to HTML, click to highlight
Click the Advanced Button.
Click on OPEN - Click EDIT.
Click "Application used to perform this action"
Move to the end of entry and BACKSPACE OVER THE "%l", removing it from the entry.
Click OK
Click OK
Click Close.

Reboot

Open the url shortcut, it will open in its minimized state....maximize it....and it will stay that way for ever and ever

Collapse -
DON'T DO THIS !!!
by rasman50 / October 14, 2013 3:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Here is the Fix...

I dont know who this idiot is, but if you do what they are saying..... hope you have your disk to reload your entire operating system. If you take the % symbol out of the HTML line and reboot your system, it will never work again. The only way to get your icons to open maximized is to open the shortcut, stretch it ( don't maximize it ), click on a link in that window, stretch it, close the first window, then close the second window. After doing that, your shortcut will open maximized. Do NOT change any entries in your HTML line, or your computer will not be able to open anything and will not be able to restore either. People who suggest crap like that should be banned from these postings. These posts are ment to help people, not for boneheads like "here is the fix" to get their rocks off.... if they had any in the first place !

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.