TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Shootout: 50 different HDMI cables

by jostenmeat / August 27, 2008 7:46 AM PDT
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Shootout: 50 different HDMI cables
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Shootout: 50 different HDMI cables
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for the link - hope it spreads some knowledge
by NM_Bill / August 28, 2008 6:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
Very interesting, very interesting!
by jcrobso / September 3, 2008 5:08 AM PDT

One can easily see that HDMI was meant for short distances.
The next thing I noticed is that the cost of the cable does NOT guarantee good picture quality. Why spend $80 and up for Mon$tor cable when a $10 Mono Price cable works just as good. John

Collapse -
HDMI
by Tuba4me / September 5, 2008 2:45 PM PDT

Hello.
I've been researching on these HDMI cables rather than coming on and asking ignorant questions.
I've gathered that I need to find a v1.3 HDMI cable, and that it isn't necessary to waste money on a monster brand. I've been looking at monoprice, cablestogo, etc.. as some recommend.

Now, my question is why are there so many different gages of wire within different HDMI cables? Say at monoprice.com for example, they have 30 awg, 28 awg, 24 awg, 22 awg, etc... v1.3 HDMI cables.

Will there be any advantage by having larger gage wire or a disadvantage to having smaller? I know with electrical current, for longer runs a larger gage is better, but I am not sure about digital signals.

Thanks in advance.

Collapse -
The same. Bigger wire (lower gauge number) is better.
by NM_Bill / September 6, 2008 2:16 AM PDT
In reply to: HDMI

However, don't obsess about it. If a cable is certified as 1.3a, then it supposedly is sufficient. If you like the idea of a "safety margin" then just pay a bit more to have thicker gauge that should be able to handle more electrical current.

Until I got big screen A/V, I had never even used wire labeled as speaker wire. I had simply used common "zip cord" which is the usual light duty extension cord stuff. My old dealer told about someone is bound to do the extreme. A customer came back very concerned he was not getting the expected performance. It turned out the customer had done his own wiring (which is fine) but to minimize fishing bulky cable, he had used tiny, thin bell wire to fish those wires to the speakers. This was a brand new $15,000 outfit. The bell wire was obviously not sufficient to do the multiple thousand dollar speakers justice.

Collapse -
yeah thicker is better
by jostenmeat / September 6, 2008 8:04 AM PDT
In reply to: HDMI

just like with speaker wire. now, I have some longish speaker wire runs, but I just leave the 16 gauge because I think its fine, even with speakers dropping to 4 ohms, playing reference levels, sitting decently from speakers... Im in no rush to change my speaker wire.

my hdmi cable is monoprice, 35 ft long, works perfectly well. the picture is disgustingly good. even on a 159" screen. and my cable is not even 1.3 certified.

1.3 certified means that it is "rated" to carry a certain bandwidth, or roughly double the 1.1 version. That does not mean the 1.1 can't handle that double bandwidth, its just not "rated" to do so. Just like Id trust a 70 lb Rotel amplifier to do as well as a "THX rated" $600 onkyo receiver. its simply "rated" or "certified". This is As Far As I know...

Its really all about the length of the cable.

If your runs are short, as are most people's, monoprice is the wtg. their cables are actually the very thickest Ive seen. to a fault. even the speaker wire has insulation that is thicker that I think it should be, perhaps good for those who like to run in-wall...

Collapse -
(NT) bumpity wumpity bump boolah
by jostenmeat / December 15, 2008 11:07 PM PST
Collapse -
RE monoprice HDMI cable
by tom10i / December 19, 2008 10:59 PM PST

Hi all,

I have a blu ray, 46 inch screen, HDMI 7.1 receiver (Pioneer) et al. and am using some Monoprice cables bought over a year ago, which I assume must be 1.1 or 1.2 (all of which are six feet or less in length) but could be higher, to carry signals. Everything works just great. Of course the guy at the store attempted to sell me a $150 dollar cable until I mentioned Monoprice and then he backed down rather fast once I demonstrated that I knew what I talking about. You do have to show those young snobs on commission (radio shack et al.) or even the ones not on commission (circuit city/best buy) that you know what you are talking about. This chart is great for that.

Collapse -
cheers
by jostenmeat / December 20, 2008 5:25 AM PST

your cables might very well be 1.3. Mono simply didn't make my desired length at 1.3, but they sure do make plenty of them.

as for big box store employees, having read what some employees state, its what they are told to do. They can risk losing their jobs if they don't push the cables. Too bad, but its how it is.

Be polite, while informed I suppose.

Collapse -
(NT) This thread is in dire need of a bump.
by jostenmeat / January 24, 2009 10:53 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.