Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Shiro MP3 players experience/review request?

by abhip76 / April 4, 2005 9:33 AM PDT

Has anyone used these/ know anyone who has used mp3 players from Shiro (especially Shiro SX)? Or have links for reliable reviews.
I looked up cnet Asia but could find only about Shiro TX.
I'm most interested in knowing their audio quality in comparison with iAudio, iRiver, iPod etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Abhijeet.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Shiro MP3 players experience/review request?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Shiro MP3 players experience/review request?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
" SHIRO, a subsidiary of homegrown Aztech Systems "
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2005 9:47 AM PDT

That tells volumes about this device. It's another factory massive volume product by a well known (to many PC owners) sound card and other device maker.

I don't see anything to get excited about here.

bob

Collapse -
Shiro SX MP3 Player, pretty good stuff
by BunGee / April 18, 2005 1:14 PM PDT

I was looking a compact and light flash based MP3 player to use in the gym. It had to have FM and a display (adios, iPod Shuffle), and must have SD expansion slot capability.

After reviewing several models, I settled on the Shiro SX and was sold on its features, sound quality & pricing (paid < US$110 for the 256mb model). The very nice 2-color multi-line OLED display was a bonus. Oh, and it comes with one of those 'integrated headphone lanyard' things, but I use it with an armband (not bundled) instead.

No compliants with my purchase so far. You can get more specs on the Shiro SX on http://www.shirocorp.com/mp3_sx.htm

Collapse -
Shiro SX MP3 Player, pretty good stuff
by BunGee / April 18, 2005 1:15 PM PDT

I was looking for a compact and light flash based MP3 player to use in the gym. It had to have FM and a display (adios, iPod Shuffle), and must have SD expansion slot capability.

After reviewing several models, I settled on the Shiro SX and was sold on its features, sound quality & pricing (paid < US$110 for the 256mb model). The very nice 2-color multi-line OLED display was a bonus. Oh, and it comes with one of those 'integrated headphone lanyard' things, but I use it with an armband (not bundled) instead.

No compliants with my purchase so far. You can get more specs on the Shiro SX on http://www.shirocorp.com/mp3_sx.htm

Collapse -
Voice Recording?
by DizzyMonk / April 29, 2005 4:24 PM PDT

How is the quality of the voice recording? Can the voice recording be saved directly to the SD card or only to the internal memory?

Have you had problems with saving files to the SD card but not have them show up on the player?

Is it firmware upgradeable?

Collapse -
Shiro SX Review
by corbinvgrimes / June 22, 2005 11:49 AM PDT

THE BEST OF THE BEST - Introducing The SHIRO SX MP3 Player

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With of over 4 months of intense market research and feature comparison, extensive technical testing, and obsessive manufacturer review, we are confident that the Shiro SX is by far the best decision available at this time for flash based MP3 players. No other MP3 player offers so many features!

Before deciding to distribute the Shiro SX globally, www.mega-rc.com reviewed in great detail over 90 different MP3 players (92 to be exact) and their manufacturers available in the Asian, European, and US market, and found no other MP3 product offering the Shiro's value, durability, features, quality, and performance. The SX was the clear winner and crushed the competition in our reviews.

Here are 5 major reasons to consider this player, aside from its AWESOME bells and whistles.

1.) Unlike the Apple Ipod and other more expensive MP3 players, this devise features absolutely no moving mechanical parts whatsoever. All of your data is stored on a solid state built in whopping 256MB memory chip and its expandable and SUPER SMALL! What this means to you is long lasting, durability, and well constructed superior quality music playback that you can count on for year and years, with no moving parts to wear out or break. As a computer geek I can say this honestly; hard drives belong in computers, not in portable devices that get banged around in gyms, dropped on hard cement or asphalt surfaces, or put in side your pocket, purse, etc. If your not familiar with how a hard drive works, just imagine taking your portable CD player ad dropping that a few times. A hard drive must read data that is hundreds of times smaller and more detailed than that of a CD at speeds much faster. It's precision mechanical platters are NOT intentionally designed for abuse. For a portable device like a walkman or music player, a solid state device is the way to go. TRUST US ON THIS Happy

2. ) Also, unlike the Apple Ipod, this device doesn't care where you get your music! It plays MP3s from your computer despite if you are a member of a monthly downloading service like Itunes, and doesn't discriminate in any way with what data you put on it. Drag and drop whatever you want into this player! I personally have tons of friends that have been disappointed by the Ipod because of this problem. Don't get chained down by the corporate big guns! Have your music the way you want it! (We don't recommend that you break the law either Wink

3. ) Don't be caught dead with dead batteries! Many MP3 players on the market have a permanent battery which can wear out, and only be serviced by the manufacturer. The Shiro SX uses a standard AAA battery, which you can get anywhere! That is huge! Bring a couple rechargeable NiMh AAA batteries with you and your good for days and you've got backups!

4.) The SX features a better display indoors or outdoors. OLED is the latest in LCD technology and features a super bright, high contrast ratio screen that's animated and simple to navigate around in.

5.) Shiro stands behind their products! Shiro is a well known Asian manufacturer of quality electronics products, and they back all their products up with an AWESOME warrantee, support, and communications. We talked with many manufacturers and analyzed their service, product, etc. If we can trust them by purchasing thousands of units from them, you can trust them! Happy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The SX offers the best of the best, for a price that is truly amazing and over competitive. We are confident that even the big guys aren't offering any product like this at this price point.

Check out the features below and then compare this product to the competition. No other model offers so many features!

The Shiro SX's many amazing features include:

A CRUCIAL expandable SD/MMC Memory Card Slot (Add a 1GB chip or more to give TONS of storage capacity) Don't ever worry about out growing your MP3 player; just add another inexpensive and easy to find SD/MMC card and have endless storage space!
256 MB of included internal memory!
Built in Digital FM tuner - (Record FM too!)
Voice Recorder Feature - No additional equipment or microphones needed! Make high quality voice recordings (3 levels of quality to choose from) and then easily drag the files to your computer!
Organic Light Emitting Diode Color Display! (OLED) Very few players offer this feature at this price point!
Awesome sounding headphones with reinforced steel braid cording and metallic capped dynamic balancing stereophonic perfection. These have some serious bass!
High Speed USB 2.0 data transfer rate up to 480 Mbps
Scratch durable and crystal clear "Nano Glass" protected LCD - one of the hardest coating glasses available today for CE.
MP3/WMA/WAV and MPE3 1-3 digital audio playback!
ID3 Tag support - See the name of your song as you labeled it in the display! Displays the song, and artist info, and it even scrolls so you can read all of the info!
5 EQ mode - Normal, Rock, Jazz, Classic, Pop - customize your audio for the best playback possible!
Digital FM recording, playback, deletion, transfer, etc.
Digital Voice recording
Line In Input! - Connect any audio device to this via a 1/8th mini plug and record the audio coming out of the device, into the MP3 player! Imagine the possibilities here! This includes external microphones, tape players, etc., etc.!
USB Flash Drive - use it also as a portable storage device you can use anywhere, with any USB compliant computer! Transfer Word documents, PDF's, webpages, pictures, or whatever you want!
A-B Repeat function
Hangs around your neck from the integrated headphone cord design.
Weight is only 54grams (without battery)
Uses only one AAA battery - (a generic type will last about 8 hours, name brand about 10 hours -ok to use rechargeable batteries like NiMh too!)
Dimensions: 75 x 33 x 23 mm
Awesome magnetic locking gift box -great for storage or gift giving.
Compatible with Windows PC's -Plug and play design - plug it in to your Windows PC USB slot, and your connected!
EXCELLENT and very clear ENGLISH instructions with pictures (Watch out for other competitors players that have instructions written only Chinese, respectfully)
One year warrantee, with warrantee card included in packaging!
Super durable! We tested 5 units dropping them from heights of over 15 feet onto carpet, and 6 feet onto concrete with no internal damage to the player! (It did get a bit scratched on the corner, but, what can you expect Happy
Tons of other little detail features not listed! (Like auto off, 3 quality FM recoding, hold lock feature (keeps buttons from being pushed while in use), etc., etc.)
Windows and Mac compatible!

The whole package Includes:

SUPER high fidelity Stereo Earphones
SX Player - Color as shown in pictures
USB Cable
Driver CD
User Guide (English)
AAA Battery
Minimal system Requirements

We recommend SD cards with a read/write speed of 6x or better, though older cards will work too.
Windows 98 or higher or Macintosh OS 10.x
USB Port (1.1 or 2.O)
No software driver required! Windows recognizes the device and if not, a driver is included anyway! Happy

You can't go wrong with the Shiro SX Flash MP3 player! Take it from our many satisfied customers and feel confident you made the best decision! Happy

"I hated my Ipod. I had it replaced within a week, and it broke only 5 weeks later. The SX has given me no problems at all, and it sounds incredible! - Ed H., Denver CO.

"This thing rocks! Its so small, and sounds killer." -Eric Davidson, Houston TX.

"The best I have seen. The screen is amazing. My friend has a similar model but this one sounds better. His battery doesn't last very long. Mine lasts twice as long! - Sarah Jacobs, Denver CO.

Collapse -
Where is that from?
by Bredd / June 23, 2005 12:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Shiro SX Review

Got a source?

Man is it only 256 mb though? Most people want more memory, without having to spend $80 more on memory.

If there was a cite i'd look at the picture.

Collapse -
will the MMC card stick out?
by mait8 / August 11, 2005 6:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Shiro SX Review

can anybody tell me if the add-on MMC card will stick out of the Shiro SX player? It would be VERY annoying if it does... and imagine how easy would it be to break your expensive 1 GB memory...
The product brochure does not mention this.
Anyone?

Collapse -
One flaw, though, you can't skip folders!
by ivorygate / July 7, 2005 5:47 AM PDT

Just a warning, while everything else about this player was exactly what I was looking for, it has what I consider a major flaw, especially since I have the 256MB model with an additional 1GB SD card installed:

You can't skip folders and there is no playlist capability!

Everytime I use this device, I still find it hard to believe, because every CD-based MP3?capable player I?ve used all have an easy way to skip folders; a quick web search indicates other comparable flash-based MP3 players also have this capability, but not this one.

I contacted Shiro?s tech support and their reply was:

?There is no playlist function whereby you can select the song you want to play. This is due to features limitation. I am sorry!?

Well, sure, a playlist feature is a bit more programming, but all I?m asking for is that I have the ability to put music tracks within folders (and sub-folders) and that their device lets me quickly skip playback of files within any given folder. In other words, say you have put 10 albums of music of 10 tracks each. To get to the 5th album, I now have to press the skip track button 40 times, before I can listen to the track I want to. With my CD-based MP3 players, though, I?d simply use the folder skip button and it would only require four button presses to get the music I want to listen to!

What good is having 256MB+1024MB of storage to put MP3 files on if you spend minutes/hours/days just skipping to the specific track you want. I put on 150 tracks on it, before I went to play them back and realized this fatal flaw. It almost makes this device worthless, at least for storing up a large music library. Apparently, I?ll have to limit it to one or two albums at a time?

Collapse -
Playlist support anf fodlers for MP3 support...
by tan_13heat / September 4, 2005 1:49 PM PDT

I am a concerned of ivorygate's feedback...

are there any firmware udpates for this model that would improve on this?

i like the features and specs of this Shiro SX.. but if does not have playlist and folder skipping support, i will not buy this model Sad

Collapse -
I was just about ready to buy it...... Whew!
by nuttygardener / September 26, 2005 7:23 AM PDT

Thanks for saving me from disaster.
I'll have to hold off if this hasn't been dealt with yet.
I was attracted by the ability to add external flash cards, but if you can't skip by folder.... I don't want it either.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.