HDTV Picture Setting forum

Tip

Sharp LC-60LE847U picture settings

by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / December 11, 2012 4:53 AM PST

Review:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sharp-quattron-lc-60le847u/4505-6482_7-35118026.html

Related products:
Sharp Quattron LC-70LE847U

Calibration report using these settings:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/116420536/Sharp-LC-60LE847U-CNET-review-calibration-results

Below you'll find the settings I found best for viewing the Sharp LC-60LE847U in a dim room via the HDMI input. Your settings may vary depending on source, room conditions, and personal preference. Check out the Picture settings and calibration FAQ for more information.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9996461-1.html

Calibration notes: As usual the Movie mode was best prior to any adjustment, although it was plagued by a few major issues. The ambient light sensor ("OPC") was engaged by default--a no-no for people who crave an accurate picture--and even worse, the "Extended" color gamut was activated. The latter problem, caused highly inaccurate greens and secondary colors, which I assume is intentional to show off the supposed benefits of Quattron. Movie also had more conventional issues, namely an overly blue grayscale and too much light output.

Sharp's calibration controls addressed most of these issues. The color management system worked almost flawlessly once I compensated for its tendency to dim blue by using a different test pattern--in other words, the issues introduced by Quattron can mostly be calibrated away. The 10-point grayscale didn't work well at all since it didn't provide enough range to adjust properly, but the 2-point system worked well enough that it wasn't a major problem.

Engaging either of the 240Hz settings truncates light output substantially, so I elected to use the 120Hz High mode instead, which still scored well enough in our motion resolution tests. It is possible to get 40Fl out of the 240Hz modes, but I did not do so for this calibration.

AV MODE: MOVIE
OPC: Off
Backlight: +11
Contrast: +28
Brightness: 0
Color: 0
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0

--Advanced sub-menu

C.M.S. -Hue
R: 0
Y: +4
G: 0
C: +2
B: 0
M: +8

C.M.S. -Saturation
R: +3
Y: -6
G: -2
C: -4
B: -7
M: -7

C.M.S. -Value
R: +3
Y: 0
G: -3
C: 0
B: -2
M: 0

C.M.S. -Hue
[all zero]

C.M.S. -Saturation
[all zero]

C.M.S. -Value
[all zero]

Color Gamut Range: Standard

Color Temp: Low

[10 Point Setting Off]
R Gain (LO): +3
G Gain (LO): +5
B Gain (LO): -2
R Gain (HI): +4
G Gain (HI): +6
B Gain (HI): -20

[10 Point Settings: No adjustment]

Motion Enhancement: 120Hz High
Quad PIxel Plus 2: Advanced
Active Contrast: Off
Gamma Adjustment: -1
Black Level: [grayed out]
Film Mode: Off
Digital Noise Reduction: Off
Monochrome: Off
Range of OPC: [any]

Note: This post was edited by its original author Fixed typo in "Color Gamut Range" from incorrect "Extended" to correct "Standard." on 01/03/2013 at 9:29 AM PT

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sharp LC-60LE847U picture settings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sharp LC-60LE847U picture settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sharp LC-60LE847U picture settings
by RocShemp / April 9, 2013 12:28 PM PDT

You mention a Backlight setting of +11. That seems very high. Is that accurate or a typo?

Also, you mention having Quad PIxel Plus 2 set to Advanced. I noticed that there is a yellowing in certain portions of the overscan pattern found in the Disney WOW disc when Quad PIxel Plus 2 is set to either Standard or Advanced. The yellowing disappears when Quad PIxel Plus 2 is set to Off.

Collapse -
Sharp AQUOS LC-60LE847U Custom Display Settings
by RocShemp / August 9, 2013 2:48 PM PDT

Before I list out my settings, I think some explanation is in order as to how I came to these particular settings.

It's pretty well known that the Sharp AQUOS LC-60LE847U & LC-70LE847U have a bizarre issue that while watching some 60Hz content, it seems that motion interpolation is still active. It's subtle but it's there even if you made sure to deactivate both Motion Enhancement and Film Mode (the latter being the actual culprit as it engages the set's motion interpolation feature) on your setting of choice. The only AV Mode to completely disengage motion interpolation is Game.

By fiddling with the settings of my TV, I noticed that even when dealing with 24 Hz content, Game mode seems to move better than any other mode. By "move better" I mean to say that the set is only capable of passing the correct 1080p/24 film cadence in Game mode. Every other AV Mode (including Movie) exhibits the choppy stutter of 2:3 pull-down. Also, Game is the only AV Mode that doesn't add an unwanted A/V Sync Delay (that needs to be defeated with a Receiver or similar external device).

However, when fiddling with the Colors through the filters included on the new Spears & Munsil disk, I noticed that whatever Color Space that Game Mode uses is different from both the Standard and Expanded Color Space selections available in film mode. It's basically a third, unnamed Color Space.

A user over at AVSforum did three separate calibrations for his LC-70LE847U. One of them was for Game AV Mode which can be found here.

Using his settings as a base, I then tweaked my own LC-60LE847U, using Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark 2nd Edition. In this manner I came to the following setting for my TV:

[quote]Model: LC-60LE847U

AV Mode: Game

OPC.......................Off

Backlight ................-12

Contrast ................+24

Brightness...............Zero

Color......................Zero

Tint.......................Zero

Sharpness...............Zero

Gamut ....................N/A

Motion Enhance........N/A

Quad Pixel...............Off

Active Contrast........Off

Gamma...................-2

Film Mode...............N/A

Digital NR ................Off

OPC Range..............-16 to +16

Color Temp..............Low

CMS

HUE

R.....-3

Y.....+12

G.....-30

C.....+3

B.....-30

M.....-5

SATURATION

R.....-10

Y.....Zero

G.....-30

C.....-18

B.....+30

M.....-27

VALUE

R.....-20

Y.....Zero

G.....+30

C.....+30

B.....-10

M.....+1

COLOR TEMP

R Gain (LO) +14

G Gain (LO) +9

B Gain (LO) -9

R Gain (HI) -20

G Gain (HI) -20

B Gain (HI) -30
[/quote]

For 3D content, I use those exact settings except for the Backlight. That value I increased to -2. All the other values I replicated exactly for the Game (3D) AV Mode.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.