HDTV Picture Setting forum

Sharp Elite PRO-60X5FD picture settings

by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / December 8, 2011 2:53 AM PST

Related products:
Sharp Elite PRO-70X5FD

Calibration report using these settings:

Below you'll find the settings we found best for viewing the Sharp Elite PRO-60X5FD in a dim room via the HDMI input at 1080p/24 resolution. Your settings may vary depending on source, room conditions, and personal preference. Check out the Picture settings and calibration FAQ for more information.

--Picture Settings menu

Intelligent Variable Contrast: Local Dimming On
OPC: Off
Backlight: +1
Contrast: +32
Brightness: +1
Color: 0
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0

--Advanced sub-menu

C.M.S. -Hue
R: 0
Y: +3
G: +4
C: +2
B: -3
M: +3

C.M.S. -Saturation
R: +3
Y: -2
G: -1
C: +1
B: +1
M: 0

C.M.S. -Value
R: +2
Y: +2
G: 0
C: -12
B: +3
M: -2

Color Temp sub-menu:
Color Temp: Low [grayed out when 10 Point is "On]

[10 Point Setting Off]
R Gain (LO): +1
G Gain (LO): -5
B Gain (LO): -3
R Gain (HI): +2
G Gain (HI): -4
B Gain (HI): -4

[10 Point Setting On]
Position +1: R Gain +2, G Gain 0, B Gain 0
Position +2: R Gain 0, G Gain -4, B Gain -3
Position +3: R Gain 0, G Gain -5, B Gain -5
Position +4: R Gain 0, G Gain -3, B Gain -2
Position +5: R Gain 0, G Gain -4, B Gain -4
Position +6: R Gain 0, G Gain -3, B Gain -5
Position +7: R Gain -2, G Gain -5, B Gain -5
Position +8: R Gain -1, G Gain -6, B Gain -6
Position +9: R Gain 0, G Gain -5, B Gain +5
Position +10: R Gain 0, G Gain 0, B Gain -1

Motion Enhancement: 120Hz Low
Quad Pixel Plus: Off
Active Contrast: Off
Gamma Adjustment: 0
Film Mode: Off
Digital Noise Reduction: Off
Monochrome: Off
Range of OPC: [any]

Note: This post was edited by its original author added link to calibration results on 12/08/2011 at 11:00 AM PT

Note: This post was edited by its original author specified "Low" color temperature preset on 01/17/2012 at 12:27 PM PT

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sharp Elite PRO-60X5FD picture settings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sharp Elite PRO-60X5FD picture settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
10 point settings
by DYAUSWINTERS / December 11, 2011 12:05 PM PST

First off, thanks David for the excellent review. I have one question though, on the 10 point settings "ON" menu I don't quite understand how your supposed to use all 10 settings you give, I may be a little slow or new at this but I have tried selecting "ON" and I can only change position, r gain, g gain, and b gain once. Is it possible to use all 10 or is that just different suggestions for different preferences?

Collapse -
I figured it out.
by DYAUSWINTERS / December 11, 2011 6:53 PM PST
In reply to: 10 point settings

I figured out what to do to change each position. One other question, which is preferred, 10 point setting "ON" or "OFF"?

Collapse -
"On" since it's the only way to make adjustments
by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / December 11, 2011 10:02 PM PST
In reply to: I figured it out.

Sharp's menu design is confusing. You have to adjust BOTH 2 and 10-point settings. To adjust the 2-point setting you have to turn the "10 point settings" setting Off; afterward, turn it On to adjust the ten points (using the Position slider as you seem to have discovered). The actual "On/Off" position of the "10 point settings" switch has no impact on the picture itself.

Note: This post was edited by its original author to tweak explanation on 12/12/2011 at 6:05 AM PT

Note: This post was edited by its original author correct a typo on 12/12/2011 at 7:10 AM PT

Collapse -
by DYAUSWINTERS / December 14, 2011 7:13 PM PST

I'm glad that you do things like this for us David, thank you and I look forward to showing off my 70x5fd to It's better potential with these settings.

Collapse -
Color Temp Menu Omission
by burgersa / January 6, 2012 2:34 PM PST

Thanks very much for the in-depth review, and for posting your settings. In the Color Temp sub-menus, with 10 Point Settings set to off, I cannot find any reference as to what your setting was for Color Temp. The drop-down menu has five settings, and the THX Movie settings default is Low. With 10 Point Setting set to On, Color Temp is grayed out, and this setting is no longer visible. But as you mentioned, after the 10 Point settings are made, the On-Off position of the "10 Point Settings" has no relevance, as the Elite still uses both on and off settings to process the picture. I changed the default Color Temp (Off) setting from "Low" to Middle", eliminating the overall yellow cast. For my taste this made the picure much more natural looking.
What was the setting for Color Temp, "10 Point Settings" off, on your test Elite, when you finalized your calibration?
Again, thanks for the great review!

Collapse -
My bad, it's "Low"
by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / January 17, 2012 4:26 AM PST

Settings post amended, thx for the heads-up.

Collapse -
Brighter Room Settings?
by Luke_K / May 14, 2012 6:10 AM PDT

Thanks for the great settings David. I realize every room is going to augment the calibration somewhat and I have a room that takes in a lot of light hence why I went with an LCD. I was curious if you can recommend any settings settings or adjustments for a very bright room?

Collapse -
Does anyone has settings for a bright room?
by christer200 / June 17, 2012 11:57 PM PDT

My wife is not happy with this TV (PRO-60X5FD). My room has 8 windows (all around, 3 walls), so basically you can see the couch, the window, etc, reflecting in the TV. Is there is any recommended setting that would minimize this problem? I have no window directly behind or next to the TV, but basically all other walls have multiple windows.

Collapse -
by phxreq / April 13, 2013 1:02 PM PDT

Sounds like user error not the TVs. Should have thought that one through a little better... every tv is going to have some reflection/glare gotta get the appropriate type for you lighting.

Collapse -
Sharp Elite 70
by gilk43 / October 30, 2013 12:37 AM PDT

I just had a SE-70 installed. I set it up using the basic Menu. Then I read the CNET Calibration Report by David Katzmaeir. What does this accomplish when completed. Is is just a more accurate presentation of colors? Is the picture quality such as shapness, contrast and brightness improved? I would like to know more before attempting this lengthy proceedure.
Thank you
Gil Knauer
PS I am an advid fan of CNET and never purchase a product prior to reading your review.

Collapse -
by AdamCo10 / December 24, 2013 11:35 AM PST
In reply to: Sharp Elite 70

Yes, to all of your questions.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.