Windows 7

Question

Sharing Internet Connection

by Baloeb / April 18, 2012 6:44 AM PDT

I have searched online for this and I am still unclear if it is possible. I have a laptop connected to my tv for watching videos. It is connected to my home network through a wireless connection. Can I share the internet with my blu-ray player through the laptops ethernet port? The blu-ray doesn't have wireless and it's too far from my router.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sharing Internet Connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sharing Internet Connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Maybe.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 18, 2012 7:10 AM PDT

There is ICS in the OS, but it's finicky. Try VIRTUAL ROUTER (see google) and be aware that support is non-existent. (this stuff is too finicky.)
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Re: sharing Internet
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 18, 2012 7:10 AM PDT

Internet Connection Sharing between 2 PC's, since Microsoft introduced it in Windows 98, has been one of the more difficult things to implement. Although I must admit I have seen it working once, but that was installed by a pro, back when the sharing was a dial-up connection.
Adding a Blu-Ray player to the mix might even make it more difficult.

But I dare not say it's impossible.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
It may as well be
by Jimmy Greystone / April 18, 2012 7:55 AM PDT

It may as well be. Just to add to the chorus here, the only solutions that exist are finicky or tempermental at the best of times, often breaking seemingly out of nowhere and being near impossible to fix short of an OS reload. It'd probably be a lot easier and possibly even cheaper, to just get a good length of ethernet cable from a cheap wholesale place like Monoprice. I haven't checked recently, but you could probably get a 50ft length of Cat5e for $20-$25 shipped. Not an unreasonable price, unlike what you'd find at a big box retailer. There is absolutely no reason why a 6ft HDMI cable should cost $25+, outside of gouging on the part of retailers.

Collapse -
Thanks for the replies!
by Baloeb / April 20, 2012 8:52 AM PDT
In reply to: It may as well be

I've tried to play around with it a little, and anytime I change a setting or try to share a connection I lose internet access on the laptop. Oh well. The bluray is in a different room than the router and I rent, so I'll just have to come up with another option. The wireless adapters for those are so expensive I might as well buy a new player with wireless built in.

Collapse -
Look into
by Jimmy Greystone / April 20, 2012 11:39 AM PDT

Look into wireless ethernet bridge devices. They can be had for something in the $50 range, and basically they let you make any device with an ethernet jack wireless capable.

They're not a whole lot better than ICS, but are at least a step in the right direction.

Collapse -
Re: Thanks for the replies.
by Ad-nan / April 24, 2012 2:40 AM PDT

"I've tried to play around with it a little, and anytime I change a setting or try to share a connection I lose internet access on the laptop. Oh well. The bluray is in a different room than the router and I rent, so I'll just have to come up with another option. The wireless adapters for those are so expensive I might as well buy a new player with wireless built in."

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.