Android forum

Question

Share contacts between two phones?

by AdamBAtlanta / December 12, 2011 6:59 AM PST

I have an Android phone and I just bought one for my wife as a gift. I would like her to be able to share my contacts with me and keep them synced - so I'm not talking about a one-time export and import.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Share contacts between two phones?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Share contacts between two phones?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
At this point I think you are ready to discuss Apps?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2011 3:01 AM PST

I know you wrote you wanted it to be native but now that you have some replies I wonder if you are ready to change your mind?
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'm going with no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2011 7:36 AM PST

The stock apps don't seem to meet your requirements. I'd look at other sync and contact management apps.
Bob

Collapse -
Suggestions for contact syncing / management apps?
by AdamBAtlanta / December 12, 2011 9:09 PM PST
In reply to: I'm going with no.

If it is not possible to do this natively then are there any apps you recommend to do this which are not structured and priced like we are a large company sharing leads with its sales force?

Collapse -
An app would be native.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2011 10:53 PM PST

Sorry but as a writer of apps, if I install an app then it is now "native." I wonder if folk are thinking that apps that come with the device are "native" (they are not.)

As to the complexity I commiserate but will think about this today. One contact sync app was from memory OK but the end user agreement had me never mention their name. Something about they could use what you put into the system.
Bob

Collapse -
Yes, please
by AdamBAtlanta / December 21, 2011 7:46 AM PST

The objective is still the same. If either my wife or I adds, changes or deletes a shared contact from our phones or from GMail's Contacts from our PCs, we want the change to be reflected all over. I've spelled this out on the original post. Thanks for your advice.

Collapse -
Then the most often noted solution I know of.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2011 8:19 AM PST
In reply to: Yes, please
Collapse -
I think that it looks promising
by AdamBAtlanta / December 21, 2011 11:40 PM PST

Thanks for the suggestion. I have looked at the site and it seems that it would support what I need. It isn't yet clear to me whether I should just set it up to sync multiple GMail accounts or I need to run it on the phones (which would really only know about their individual GMail accounts). If it is the former then it seems like it would run behind the scenes in the cloud - changes made on my phone would be synced (by Android) to my Gmail contacts. Soocial would sync my Gmail contacts to my wife's and Android would sync her Gmail contacts to her phone. Do I have that right?

Collapse -
Yup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2011 1:33 AM PST

All I can do is nod here and mutter Yup. This area of shared contacts, calendars and more is the domain of BIG SYSTEMS like Exchange Server, Lotus Notes and CRM systems.

Which are bigger chunks of change.
Bob

Collapse -
Understood
by AdamBAtlanta / December 22, 2011 3:49 AM PST
In reply to: Yup.

Do you have any information on the mechanics (in the first paragraph of my prior response)? If I have it right then I'll check it out. Thanks again for your help.

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2011 3:55 AM PST
In reply to: Understood

But as I tried to find the first paragraph of the prior response I got a little lost. It's like looking for the 3rd sentence in the 4th paragraph but on the 2nd chapter.

Sorry but make it easy on everyone.

And when it comes to software, I know of few that call it a mechanical system. I do have a background and am currently updating some PalmOS, MicroChip.com applications but that's besides the point of this discussion. When it comes to system design, and software design I think it's best to get a designer and programmer on the team.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
What about Google Apps
by Sovereign Forum moderator / December 16, 2011 2:13 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks for the suggestion
by AdamBAtlanta / December 16, 2011 6:23 AM PST
In reply to: What about Google Apps

I appreciate the suggestion; but Google Apps seems like overkill for me. At $100 per year, it is pretty costly too. If I had a small business then this might be the way to go. But we're just a family who wants to share an address book. Thanks though.

Collapse -
You might give the free
by Sovereign Forum moderator / December 18, 2011 5:49 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks, but I'm not seeing how this would work
by AdamBAtlanta / December 21, 2011 1:56 AM PST

Sorry for the delay in responding (very busy). I appreciate the suggestions. I've spent some time looking through Google Apps and I cannot find anything on how sharing contacts might work. Furthermore, it seems I'd have to set up a new domain and then migrate my existing contacts (~1500) and calendars over. The migration path from GMail isn't clear to me. If the Exchange migration is to be used then that would seem to be a premium option. I haven't looked as far as the calendar migration. The bottom line is that this feels very complex, I'm not sure what interoperability with other Google applications I'd be giving up if I moved to the free business apps subset of functionality and I still can't find how my one goal would be solved - that of sharing a phone book with my wife. I thank you once more for your suggestions though.

Collapse -
Answer
Share contacts between two phones?
by Decidebay / December 20, 2011 2:43 PM PST

have you tried mybackup its in the market and will back up all contacts and programs or whichever you choose.or sms backup and restore in market also which is free.

Collapse -
I'm looking for syncing and not backup
by AdamBAtlanta / December 21, 2011 1:59 AM PST

Thanks; but I'm looking to share (synch) my contacts rather than backing them up and restoring them.

Collapse -
Answer
Not a problem
by KenHusveg / December 20, 2011 5:48 PM PST

Only one extra app required. All you need is the existing Android calendar, contacts, one new gmail account and GTask app for each phone. On each phone add the new gmail calendar, contacts account and set them to sync. When you add shared contacts on each phone pick the new gmail account option (not phone or SIM).

Grab GTasks app for each phone (use new gmail account only), use GTask instead of the native calendar program when entering shared task/appointments. GTask syncs with Google calendar online. All tasks will show up in each of your Android calendars as well.

You use GTask separately for shared tasks so you don't affect any of your default email/calendar accounts.

Collapse -
Not really it
by AdamBAtlanta / December 21, 2011 2:06 AM PST
In reply to: Not a problem

GTasks appears to be a very nice app to sync tasks; but I am trying to share (sync) contacts. Your suggestion to create a dummy Gmail account to do so is intriguing. I wasn't aware that you could have two phones sharing a GMail account and I'm not sure what would happen if the same contact were modified on both phones.

Collapse -
Two accounts no problem
by KenHusveg / December 21, 2011 2:19 AM PST
In reply to: Not really it

I use my method with 3 accounts no problem.

I repeat, "When you add shared contacts on each phone pick the new gmail account option (not phone or SIM)." Any contacts saved this way puts the contact on your phone, online and synced to the other phone.

Same for tasks, "use GTask instead of the native calendar program when entering shared task/appointments. GTask syncs with Google calendar online. All tasks will show up in each of your Android calendars as well."

Collapse -
Answer
Use NFC
by TommyRasmus / March 4, 2014 2:59 PM PST
Collapse -
Answer
The landscape has changed and this post is out of date.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2014 1:19 AM PST

Start a new discussion so we don't have to cover what changed since 2011.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.