Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

setup cannot copy the file:... (XP Installation Problem)

by poocano78 / September 3, 2005 10:05 AM PDT

Well I have been trying to install XP Home Edition for 2 days now with no luck.

XP was previously installed on the machine but the machine had many viruses and problems so we wanted to wipe everything clean and re-install. Computer is a fairly new HP (a220n) with an AMD processor.

Well everytime we try and install XP (brand new from Best Buy) it crashes in one form or another.

We get to the point where "setup is copying files" and every time at least 1 (up to 10) time we get the error "cannot copy the file: (varies every time) We either hit enter to retry (sometimes it works) or we hit escape to skip it.

After this part finishes it goes into the actual installation of XP. Well this is when it always crashes. The closest we have gotten is within 18 minutes of being finished. Most of the time it is the blue screen of death, but other errors have occured as well.

This is getting very frustrating and I'm at a lost of what to do.

The thing is, is that I have an old disc of Windows 98 and this will install just fine. I have tried upgrading to xp from the newly installed 98 but still the same thing.

I have even tried XP Corporate and another XP home and they all do the same thing.

I could really use some help here. Would I be best off just buying a whole new hard drive? Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam
Edit/Delete Message

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: setup cannot copy the file:... (XP Installation Problem)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: setup cannot copy the file:... (XP Installation Problem)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Usually a sign of broken hardware.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2005 11:13 AM PDT

The good news is that corporate OS. That means you have work supplied support. Let them fix it.

Bob

Collapse -
Just wondering. . .
by Coryphaeus / September 3, 2005 11:29 AM PDT

You didn't mention whether you did a full format and verify partition information. If the machine had problems to begin with there may be a lingering problem.

Collapse -
Having the same problem
by T_Jenkins / September 12, 2005 1:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Just wondering. . .

This started for me after I flashed my bios and XP started having strange errors, so I decieded to reinstall and I also keep having the problem when coping files. What does this mean, should I go out and buy another copy of XP? I don't see any scratches that are major on the CD. Also does anyone know how to restore your old bios from a floppy. I feel if I go back to my old bios will this fix the problem?

Collapse -
Same issue?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 12, 2005 2:16 AM PDT

Since you have the corporate version (you claim it's the same issue) then let your IT staffers have a go at it. The issue is a sign of bad hardware or CD. But nothing presented gives a clue which it is.

Bob

Collapse -
It is not an IT issue
by T_Jenkins / September 13, 2005 1:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Same issue?

I am using a copy that my friend gave me and I did not start having this problem until I flased my bios to update them. My mother board is really old ECS K7VZA 3.0. Windows XP service pack 2 was causing hangs to my system so I had to upgrade bois. After that I could not longer install windows I would get this message syntax error: 386\asms\7000\MSFT\WINDOWS\MSWINCRT\MSWINCRT.MAN on line 4

Collapse -
XP Corporate copies get IT support.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 13, 2005 1:49 AM PDT
In reply to: It is not an IT issue

As you've declared you don't own this CD or copy, it's unlikely it's a valid or good CD.

Bob

Collapse -
Windows XP installation problem
by TommyNguyen / September 13, 2005 1:22 PM PDT

I have the same problem when install windows XP in the HP 510n computer.
This Windows XP CD work fine in other computer.
I changed a new hard drive but the problem still exist.
I think the problem is the bios or the motherboard.

Collapse -
I have the same problem!!
by bzouchir / September 21, 2005 2:03 PM PDT

I assembled the computer myself with brand new parts:

Gigabyte Intel 955X board
Pentium D830 3.0 Mhz
2 x 80Gb SATA drive on RAID0
ELSA FireGL V3200 PCI Express graphic card
2 GB GeIL Ram
Pioneer DVR-109 - 16X DVD

Collapse -
You don't have the same problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2005 11:56 PM PDT

The original poster has an IT issued CORPORATE copy. They need to check with the IT group about what to do.

Your issue is not the same and you did yourself a disservice by claiming it's the same issue.

-> Let me be very blunt. 100% of the corporate copies I encounter are pirated. These forums are not pirate friendly.

Bob

Collapse -
FIXED!!! It was the Rams!
by bzouchir / September 22, 2005 9:28 AM PDT

I have 4 x 512 md DDRII rams,
I took them all off the board, and i started trying each one apart.

I plugged the first one, went through all the process again and this time the installation stoped also at random files but at 30 % of installation when it used to do that at 70%.

I removed the ram chip and put another one, went through the whole process again, and voil

Collapse -
Ouch
by Themisive / September 23, 2005 12:00 AM PDT

You don't mean to say that even though you'd found some of the RAM was faulty you re-installed it do you?

That's just plain asking for trouble, make sure you know which sticks are the bad 'uns and GET NEW RAM - if you must leave it in, pray that it does't fail before you get new RAM.

What do you need 2 Gb for anyway, I use games and photo-editing software as well as PDF convertors, I'm nowhere near the top of my RAM usage and I only have 1.5 GB DDR RAM installed.

The best think is to contact the supplier and let him know, as one of the nice things about RAM is that it usually has a lifetime warranty so they should replace it with out a murmer.

Collapse -
Problem solved
by bzouchir / October 2, 2005 7:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Ouch

I actually replaced the sticks straight away after finding the faulty ones.

You're right 2 GB is more than enough, I might not reach that high usage, but as a 3D artist I'm forced to use 3 to 4 softwares at the same time, especially when working on high res textures, a high usage of RAM is required.

I just found it weird that it was the Rams. You'd expect anything except that. Well at leats me!

I finally finished building my workstation and it's working great :). Finaly The blue screen nightmare is over.

Cheers!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.