HDTV Picture Setting forum

Settings needed: Vizio E390-A1

by roninzeta / December 13, 2012 8:50 AM PST

I did a search, and I tried playing with picture settings myself using the tips in the DIY article. But I've always been terrible at this sort of thing. So, if anyone has a Vizio E390-A1 (39" LED FHDTV) already calibrated, or a similar model from the E Series, I'd appreciate some advice.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Settings needed: Vizio E390-A1
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Settings needed: Vizio E390-A1
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Re:Settings needed: Vizio E390-A1
by earthboundmisfit79 / January 18, 2013 10:52 AM PST

Hi there,
I used the settings listed for the Vizio E601i-A3 listed in this thread. Not all the settings listed applies to our 390's but most do. Give them a shot, see what you think and play around with them from there. Happy

Collapse -
Here are my Calibrated Settings for the Vizio E390-A1
by mrmamboatl / January 18, 2013 11:43 PM PST

I used the AVS Forum calibration videos on mine:

I wasn't able to burn a BluRay disc, so I played them thru my Roku via Chaneru and Plex. Therefore, the results may be a little skewed, but I was pleased with the results. (I also used the blue filter glasses that came with my ancient Video Essentials DVD to view the color calibration screens.)

My Standard settings:
Picture Mode: Standard
Backlight: 85
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 60
Color: 44
Tint: -2
Sharpness: 0

Color Temperature: normal

Noise Reduction: off
MPEG NR: off
Color Enhancement: normal
Adaptive Luma: Medium
Film Mode: Auto
Backlight Control: off
Ambient Light Sensor: off

My Custom settings based on the video files are actually slightly different; I found them too dark, though, and so adjusted the Standard as above.

My custom settings:
Picture Mode: Standard
Backlight: 53
Brightness: 47
Contrast: 60
Color: 44
Tint: -2
Sharpness: 0

Color Temperature: normal

Noise Reduction: off
MPEG NR: off
Color Enhancement: normal
Adaptive Luma: off
Film Mode: Auto
Backlight Control: off
Ambient Light Sensor: off

Collapse -
Rgb gain and offset
by Geovanigrande / April 16, 2013 8:52 PM PDT

Do you know what settings to use for RGB gain and offset with this vizio model ...I can't seem to get the picture right

Collapse -
Didn't adjust color temp
by mrmambo--2008 / April 16, 2013 10:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Rgb gain and offset

I didn't actually change the color temperature--I have it set to Normal and so my RGB gains/offsets are all set to the defaults. Those controls don't even show up for me unless I set the color temp to something other than Normal.

Are you seeing shifts in some colors? I was able to set the color levels correctly through the use of color and tint. I didn't need the granularity of individual color channel adjustments.

I would try Normal--if it doesn't work, either get a calibration disc or use color bars and try to tweak it by eye, if you can.

Collapse -
Thanks for replying
by Geovanigrande / April 17, 2013 8:20 PM PDT

I try your settings and they look good while watching tv but when I use my Xbox 360 it doesn't look as good. I have try tweaking the settings my self but I found your settings to be the better.

Collapse -
thank you but one question
by soccermom9091 / May 29, 2013 11:16 PM PDT

I adjusted my controls exactly as you listed in the second part of your post. The picture looks SO much better, that horrible neon green/yellow tint is gone. When I try to adjust the brightness it jumps over this setting. It is at %100 and I cannot change it to your recommendations. Any ideas?

Collapse -
Not sure
by mrmambo--2008 / May 30, 2013 2:33 AM PDT

I'm not sure what's locking you out. It may be that one of the Advanced Picture items is turned on and blocking it. Make sure they're all off, including Color enhancement, except for Film Mode.

Collapse -
That was it!
by soccermom9091 / May 30, 2013 7:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Not sure

I turned everything off in the Advance settings, other than film which says auto (?) and that allowed me to adjust the brightness to 47. Thank you again!

Collapse -
by mrmambo--2008 / May 30, 2013 10:10 AM PDT
In reply to: That was it!

Cool--the Film mode has to do with the frame rate differences between film and video. Film is shot at 24 frames per second and frames are duplicated to match video's 30 frames per second. This setting senses that duplication and fixes it when displaying film, which makes the action smoother.

Collapse -
Vizio E390 A1 Settings
by mr73516 / July 2, 2013 9:23 PM PDT

I have the same TV .Here are my settings Give them a try...

Picture Mode: Vivid (Don't adjust anything)
Color Temp:Cool (No adjustments)
Under advanced picture:
Noise reduction :High
Mpeg: High (for pictures)
Adaptive Luma :Strong
Film Mode :Auto
Backlight control : OPC (Optimal contrast)
Ambient light sensor :OFF!! This option will dim you picture if turned on..
I have found that these settings gave me the best picture after tooling around with quite a few times.
I hope this helps.....

Collapse -
RE: Settings needed: Vizio E390-A1
by Sevensvox / February 22, 2015 11:08 PM PST

I know I'm a couple years late to the party, but I just bought a 2014 model of this TV and have fooled around and fooled around with multiple different Calibration settings until I finally settled on a setting that works for me and just may help someone else out there (like me) that may google "Vizio E390 TV Calibration Settings" and stumble upon this thread as well.

To me the KEY for getting this TV to look great is adjusting the "Color Tuner", so make sure to look at those settings below. They will sound odd since it's stating -50 for Magenta and Yellow, etc. But trust me, it works. Here are my FULL Calibration settings that I use and love:

Auto Brightness Control: Off
Backlight - 75
Brightness - 50
Contrast - 70
Color - 50
Tint - 1
Sharpness - 50

More Picture:
Color Temp - Computer
All other settings (Black Detail, Active LED Zones, Film Mode, etc) - Off
Gamma - 2.4

** Optional Settings could be to have "Black Detail set to Medium, but if you do that then make sure you push the Gamma back to 2.2"

Color Tuner:
Red - Brightness 5, Gain 2
Green - Brightness 5, Gain 1
Blue - Brightness 10, Gain -1
Cyan - all 0's
Magneta - Hue 50, Saturation -50, Brightness -50
Yellow - Hue -50, rest 0's

11 Point White Balance:
5% all 0
10% 2, 0, -4
20% 2, 0, -3
30% 6, 2, 1
40% 4, 2, -4
50% 3, -2, -6
60% 2, -5, -4
70% 6, -2, -2
80% 8, 0, 0
90% 10, 0, 0
100% all 0's

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.