TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Setting Up PS3 Using HDMI: Receiver Not HDMI Compatible

by EXCON / February 20, 2007 12:29 AM PST

I currently have my PS3 connected using component inputs to my receiver and the receiver has 1 component out to the TV. When my new TV arrives it has HDMI connections but my receiver does not. I want to use B/RAY to its fullest so I must use HDMI correct? If thats the case then how do I get my audio thru my receiver? Do I connect the PS3 directly to the TV and then connect an optical from the PS3 to the receiver? What confuses me is will I have to have a dedicated source for the PS3? If so then the receiver must be configured to provide audio? It really starts to get confusing. If my receiver had HDMI it would be fairly simple. If anyone could shed some light on this it would be appreciated!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Setting Up PS3 Using HDMI: Receiver Not HDMI Compatible
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Setting Up PS3 Using HDMI: Receiver Not HDMI Compatible
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) HDMI to your HDTV, and Digital audio to the AV reciver.
by jcrobso / February 20, 2007 12:39 AM PST
Collapse -
by bevillan / February 20, 2007 12:52 AM PST

The above poster is right. And even if you had a receiver with HDMI switching, I highly doubt it would support HDMI 1.3 switching.

Collapse -
I Am Not Too Bright
by EXCON / February 20, 2007 1:20 AM PST
In reply to: yep

Can you please explain what you just told me? LOL
Are you saying that basically I am in the same boat as everyone else and that I connect the PS3 DIRECTLY to the TV using HDMI and then run optical thru the receiver?

Collapse -
by bevillan / February 20, 2007 1:32 AM PST
In reply to: I Am Not Too Bright

That is correct. Until receivers support HDMI 1.3 you will have to go with that setup.

Collapse -
by stewart norrie / February 20, 2007 2:10 AM PST

And all the posts are correct RUN ALL YOUR VIDIO STRAIGHT TO THE T.V. USING H.D.M.I. AND AUDIO TO THE AMP WITH OPTICAL AUDIO CABLES.Its really no big deal. Also I have the stand alone blue ray player Your going to love the picture quality. Also If you have a problem with picture flashing on and off go to the menue where you can select 480.720, 1080I or P and auto select auto and for 1080P you must use h.d.m.i. post back and let us know how you like it steweeee

Collapse -
by bevillan / February 20, 2007 2:20 AM PST

That until HDMI 1.3 switching receivers with DTS-HD support comes out you won't get the sweet HD sound that is one of the biggest marketing factors for Blu-ray/HD-DVD.

Collapse -
by EXCON / February 20, 2007 2:31 AM PST
In reply to: except...

So you mean I can't get 5.1 when using my PS3 as a B/RAY DVD?

Collapse -
no no
by bevillan / February 20, 2007 4:45 AM PST
In reply to: What?

You can get 5.1 sound using the setup with the digital optical audio cable going to your receiver and your HDMI cable going to your TV. You can still get DTS and DD sound modes but until receivers actually support DTS-HD and TrueHD soundmodes, part of the hi def player's strong points is not utilized.

Don't worry though, the receivers with that support are on their way and you will still love your movies in 5.1 via the optical cable.

Collapse -
by Xeneizeblue / March 4, 2008 9:22 AM PST

I have a very similar problem...I have an older pioneer receiver and I am running my ps3 through component cables directly to my Sony Bravia. Now...I want to watch blue ray movies on my ps3 and want to listen though my speaker system.
The receiver is handling a dvr, dvd, and cd. So my Question is: WHERE should I assign the ps3 to? That is where I am having I put the optical cable out of the ps3 to the "vcr" or "cd-r" (my two open slots for optical in back of receiver)

Does that make any sense?

Thanks people....I really appreciate any help at alllllllll

Collapse -
by albeach55 / March 5, 2008 9:02 AM PST
In reply to: PLEASE HELP ME!!

You should be able to plug the optical cable from the PS3 into any of the open slots on your receiver. Then set the audio output on the PS3 to optical, and you should be set.

Collapse -
Browser Screen Flashing
by WYDT1 / February 21, 2007 11:41 PM PST

I think I might have the same problem as the original post. I have an Onkyo SR 674 thru which I am trying to run my PS3. On the browser screen, every once in awhile I keep seeing the screen flash. No sound issues, but just annoying flash. I used HDMI cables to run from the ps3 to the receiver and another hdmi to run to the tv. I am also experiencing some popping noises through my surround sound when I pause a movie in the the PS3. I called Sony, and they suggested that I run the PS3 directly to the TV. The receiver is 7.1 and would like to take full advantage of this. Any suggestions?

Collapse -
Setting up PS3 using HDMI- with no receiver
by iamkaramia / January 3, 2009 2:25 AM PST

I am trying to set up my PS3 through the tv alone. I do get the picture, but no sound. I am not using a receiver as everyone else seems to be, and my tv is a Sony Bravia, so I would think it would be compatible with Sony PS3. I tried using just HDMI, I tried using HDMI and Optical for audio. But all result in no sound. I know nothing- total beginner at this stuff, so if you have an answer, try to speak simply to me.

Collapse -
PS3 audio
by Dan Filice / January 3, 2009 2:39 AM PST

You need to go into the PS3 menu, under BD settings>Audio Settings and choose HDMI for the audio output. Your PS3 may have been configured to send audio out of the Optical audio-out, which is how the early posters suggested you have your PS3 connected to the receiver. The unfortunate thing about PS3 systems is that you need to choose how you want the audio to be sent out of the unit, either through Optical or HDMI. Unlike all other DVD players that simultaneously send audio to both connections, Sony chose not to make the PS3 do this. I own a PS3 and it just boggles my mind what Sony was, or wasn't thinking when they made this audio decision.

Collapse -
Difficulty setting PS3 to output Digital (Optical) Audio
by enrothloc / February 14, 2009 6:10 PM PST
In reply to: PS3 audio

I am trying to get my PS3 to output to a Sony Surround Sound Receiver but the PS3 set-up does not seem to allow me to select the Digital Optical Audio output over HDMI? Any advice?

Collapse -
PS3 TOSLINK Optical vs HDMI Audio
by jfreuler / October 30, 2009 12:16 AM PDT

The PS3, and most other BD players, requires HDMI to output the uncompressed 5.1 or 7.1 audio streams.

If you are using the PS3 optical output because your receiver does not support HDMI, then your choices for BD audio output are limited to LPCM 2.0 (stereo), or compressed bitstreams (DD5.1, DTS5.1).
This is because the decades old SPDIF standard has a limited bandwith requiring compression to support the multi-channel audio formats
even though the TOSLINK interface can handle higher bitrates.
(TOSLINK can actually handle uncompressed 8 channel 48k/24 bit audio via the ADAT Lightpipe standard but it is a shame that no consumer devices or receivers incorporate ADAT interfaces or equivalent). Unfortutately the PS3 currently cannot down-convert the BD uncompressed 5.1 streams to compressed DD/DTS 5.1 for the TOSLINK output, so you end up with LPCM stereo.

If you don't desire to buy a new receiver to take advantage of the
much clearer uncompressed BD audio, there is a ~$220 HDMI device that can seperate the HDMI audio stream into descrete analog channels (ex. Atlona HDMI (1.3) Audio De-Embedder. Model: AT-HD570). It supports most HDMI formats including uncompressed analog LPCM 7.1 and lossless compressed digital bitstreams (Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD Master Audio).

Collapse -
have a problem that the same...ish
by thedsmlife / July 9, 2015 6:03 AM PDT

Hey guys
seen this post i know it old and hope some one answers this
im trying to hook up my buddys ps3 and tv to a onkyo reciver with no hdmi plug or any of the green, blue, red plugs ethier only has the yellow red and white and it has optic plug ins as well
now the ps3 has the 5 plug hd cord (green,blue,red ,green/black, blue/black)
and his lg tv has all the plug ins
now when i hook the audio up to the reciver from the ps3 i get sound when i try to go from reciver to the tv i get no sound at all from reciver or tv what am i doing wrong or what do i need to do?
should i just do what was stated in this post go to the tv with everything then run a optic cord from ps3 to the reciver?
hope some one answer

Collapse -
should i just do what was stated in this post go to the tv
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2015 6:16 AM PDT

"should i just do what was stated in this post go to the tv with everything then run a optic cord from ps3 to the reciver?"

That is widely accepted as a solution on PS3 discussion boards since many TVs don't pass more than stereo.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.