TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Setting up my surround sound to PS3

by nysin / December 31, 2009 4:23 AM PST

Hey everybody, I looked around a little bit and couldn't find any threads that answered my question specifically so I decided I'd post it and see if I can get any answers.

So I just bought an RCA RTD317W model surround sound/DVD system. I'm trying to get it hooked up to my TV/PS3, and I'm not sure how to go about this. The only wires it has provided me with are an AM antenna loop thing, and a yellow video input/output wire. I have an HDTV, and my PS3 is hooked up to it via an HDMI cord. So I'm just wondering how in the hell I'm supposed to get these three things to work together? I want to be able to see my PS3's video, and hear the sound from it through my surround sound, as well as my regular TV's sound from the surround sound.

Is there any way to do this? Do I need to buy a different wire that they decided not to include? And if I do, how do I go about finishing setting it up? Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Setting up my surround sound to PS3
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Setting up my surround sound to PS3
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by givemeaname / December 31, 2009 5:22 AM PST

I was able to find out alittle info on it... It does have an old HDMI 1.1 outport but I can not find if it has a toslink inport so you can hook up the PS3 for audio, then run the video from the PS3 direct too the tv (HDMI).

So what is on the back? Or a photo of the back of the unit, if you can.

Collapse -
by nysin / December 31, 2009 6:28 AM PST
In reply to: Well
Collapse -
by givemeaname / December 31, 2009 6:34 AM PST
In reply to: pic

It takes me too 'windows live' logon page

Collapse -
by nysin / December 31, 2009 6:37 AM PST
In reply to: ...
Collapse -
by givemeaname / December 31, 2009 8:02 AM PST
In reply to: Oops

Well you can expect too much from a $100 HTIB.

Looks like all you can hook up is 1 L/R RCA.

2 things

1: get your money back, if you want a budget HTIB look at Onkyo. You have a much better DVD player in the PS3 then in that RCA unit. Onkyo's HTIBs run $300-800 depending if you want 5.1 or 7.1 and a few otherthings.

2: run the L/R (red & white) out of the back of tv to the back on the HT unit, that will cover the TV & PS3 but then your limited to 2.0, unless the RCA has a setting that can turn it into 5.0 audio (?).

Collapse -
by nysin / December 31, 2009 1:02 PM PST
In reply to: Ok

Thanks for your help, but I talked to a friend tonight at a party and he told me how he handled it. I just used my old PS2 red/white/yellow cables, hooked them from the PS3 to the surround sound. Worked like a charm.

I appreciate it, thanks.

Collapse -
by givemeaname / December 31, 2009 1:58 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

You can not get 1080p or any HD that way, just 420p only with yellow cable.

You have to use HDMI to get 1080p or RBG component for up to 1080i + no upscaling for DVD without HDMI.

Collapse -
by nysin / December 31, 2009 4:50 PM PST
In reply to: FYI

It's because the PS3 is still hooked into the TV with an HDMI cable. I forgot there were two different ways to plug it in to your TV, so I just left the HDMI cable in the TV and use the other input/output straight from the PS3 to the DVD player.

Seems to work, it still looks HD to me if nothing else lol.

ALso, happy new year!

Thanks again.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.