Linux forum

General discussion

Setting up internet connection in Ubuntu

by kshin / May 23, 2008 4:27 PM PDT

I am very new in using Ubuntu. After installing Ubuntu in a new machine which has no other OS, I wanted to connect my machine to the internet....... but do not know where to begin. Does Ubuntu has something similiar to XP setting up internet connection? I need advices someone can help me? TIA from kshin Malaysia

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Setting up internet connection in Ubuntu
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Setting up internet connection in Ubuntu
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by arochester / May 23, 2008 7:57 PM PDT

There is not just one point. How do you normally connect to the internet? Dial-up, ADSL? DSL? Wired? Wireless? Please give more information.

Collapse -
by kshin / May 24, 2008 12:07 PM PDT

Thanks, Arochester, for coming back to me so soon. I have DSL modem attached to my PC. My connection to my ISP is not 'ON' all the time. I need to login using my userID and password each time to connect to the internet. I hope to find something very similiar to XP internet dialup setting in Ubuntu. TIA, kshin from Malaysia

Collapse -
setting up broadband internet connection on ubuntu 8.10
by arclok / April 13, 2009 4:45 PM PDT

i am beginer to ubuntu. please guide me all the steps to st up broadband asdl connection.

i have pentium core 2 duo system. 1gb ram

Collapse -
Set up your router for auto-dialing
by 3rdalbum / August 14, 2009 9:07 PM PDT

Connect your router to the computer using an Ethernet cable, if possible. Open Firefox and type in the address for your router's configuration page (usually something like or, check the manual for your router).

There should be a place there where you can fill in your username and password, and other settings, and have the router make the connection for you automatically.

Once that's done, you will have an auto-on internet connection and you can surf the internet on Ubuntu easily.

If your router doesn't support this, then you will need to run this command to configure the connection:

sudo pppoeconf

Then, to start a connection:

sudo pon

To stop the connection:

sudo poff

Collapse -
internet connection for ubuntu 8.10
by avishek89 / August 25, 2009 6:53 PM PDT

I am a very new in using Ubuntu. After installing Ubuntu I managed to configure my system's ip add,default gateway add,dns add.But i cannot connect my machine to the internet.
I use a cable net broadband service, where my service provider only provide such info like ip add, dns add,gateway add, one user name& password. There is no modem. only need to plugin the cable in lan port & access internet.
with this information i manage to access the internet from 'xp machine but in ubuntu I try to ping my gateway add from ubuntu terminal,it sucess but when i open mozila and put any url -then it shows "try again" message.
... I need advices someone can help me?

Avishek from India-(Kolkata)

Collapse -
Gnome menu
by Porch-a-Geese / May 24, 2008 4:58 AM PDT

Go into the gnome menu and select networking.
select card.
make active.
open a terminal and use sudo
type in "ifconfig"
press enter
if your card is active it will show an ip address besides
If not type "ifconfig -a"
look at your cards
pick the card that matches the one used to connect to the internet: ethernet/wireless/phone/etc.
type ifconfig <name of active card> up"
to test type "ping"
continue this with each card until you have an active connection.
Then you're online.

Collapse -
how to connect my ubuntu with the internet
by ls1205 / August 8, 2009 8:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Gnome menu

It's my first time to use linux,And i have install the ubuntu 8.04.
The problem is i can't connect my ubuntu with the internet.
ps: i have little knowledge of internet
thanks for your help

Collapse -
by GODhack / August 13, 2009 3:57 PM PDT

what kind of modem and internet you have?
DSL? Other?

Collapse -
by ls1205 - 8/9/09 3:50 AM
by andrey--k / August 15, 2009 10:26 PM PDT

better to install 9.04. There more flexible network manager

Collapse -
by ls1205 / August 16, 2009 2:53 PM PDT

thank you!

Collapse -
Help Set Up Internet Connection
by Encrypt654 / February 14, 2011 5:48 PM PST
In reply to: Gnome menu

Computer: Dell Vostro 1510, MS-Vista Home BASIC-SP2,32-bit, 2GB RAM,

Linux Distribution: Maverick Meerkat

Disk Type: Running Linux from USB (Not yet confident to run it from my hard drive)

Internet Access: Wireless Broadband, with a DSL2640R/VM Router

Problem: Can connect to internet from Vista, but cannot from Ubuntu.

Collapse -
wireless card model?
by GODhack / February 17, 2011 3:53 PM PST

in terminal and copy->paste output here we will find it out.

Collapse -
RE: Wireless Card Model
by Encrypt654 / February 17, 2011 10:18 PM PST
In reply to: wireless card model?

Checked the device manager and came up with these two under the Network Adapters
Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC(NDIS6.0), Dell wireless 1395 WLAN Mini card.

Collapse -
hmm it should work
by GODhack / February 17, 2011 11:38 PM PST

Maybe autodetection fails somehow try command:
sudo modprobe r8169
It helps or error shows up?

Collapse -
Ubuntu Internet connection using WIFI
by kiyah_akbar / October 17, 2009 5:09 AM PDT

Hello, after installing Ubuntu on my Vista laptop, a wifi connection window popped up, after using the inernet connection successfully, i shut down. The next day i attempted to get internet access and for some reason its impossible. Any ideas?

Collapse -
post here some info
by GODhack / October 20, 2009 8:25 PM PDT

Output of 2 commands:
sudo iwconfig
sudo lspci

You can enter them into terminal find it in system toolz.

Collapse -
by kiyah_akbar / October 21, 2009 2:11 AM PDT
In reply to: post here some info

Ive tried these commands already, no success. Any other suggestions, any reason why this wouldnt work? could it be a problem with our router.... sorry im such a newb.

Collapse -
by GODhack / October 22, 2009 7:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Commands

Those commands give IMPORTANT information for future help. Copy - paste output here for me or other person willing to help.
"Hey my net is not working" means almost nothing. For most (more than 90% cases) ppl it just works.

Collapse -
Help for Ubuntu 10.04 Ultimate Edition datacard user
by santoshkumar.achary / July 18, 2010 6:46 PM PDT
In reply to: ...

Please help in configuring the Internet Connection with ubuntu 10.04 Ultimate Edition and want to connect to internet with High Speed Datacard 3.1 Mbps.
In Windows if i connect the USB datacard it pops up the page to connect , but the same is not happening in Ubuntu.

Collapse -
by GODhack / July 18, 2010 6:49 PM PDT

Copy-paste output of lsusb command before and after you insert that card.

Collapse -
Help for Ubuntu 10.04 Ultimate Edition datacard user
by santoshkumar.achary / July 23, 2010 2:42 AM PDT
In reply to: hmm

Where do i pase the output of isusb command ?? plez help i am new to this linux networking environment..

Collapse -
oh somehow missed this post before
by GODhack / June 18, 2011 12:50 AM PDT

Commands you type into terminal.
The most times network should work without any configuration on Linux.

But if you out of luck and if your network do not work the most useful commands are lspci and lsusb they simply list devices connected on usb and pci.
After you learn exactly what model of your network device (network card) is search net with it and you should find something.

Collapse -
by R_Head / July 19, 2010 12:42 AM PDT

Mandriva Linux 2010.1 it has some called the Mandriva Control Center (Control Panel in MS) is all GUI. I use the command console to add my repositories manually because I want to, but is all GUI too.

Collapse -
It sounds like Mandriva is your distro;
by ahtoi / July 19, 2010 5:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Try

The last package I bought was Mandrake 9 (that was long time ago). I have tried 2007 spring and 2009 alpha2 but it just wasn't to my liking. But I have been using PCLinxOS the last couple years though. Last week I have place an order for the 2010 spring to give it another look.

Collapse -
by R_Head / July 19, 2010 6:09 AM PDT

You like PCLinuxOS you will like Mandriva since is a Spin Off from Mandriva. The only problem is that PCLOS is getting a bit outdated.

You did not need to order Mandriva if you want the free version. There are a lot of mirror sites that has it. The Mandriva Website has links for the Torrent. I am one of the early seeders.

The edition that use is the Power Pack, just got spoiled with the Copyrighted Software that I do not mind to pay for the yearly subscription.

Get Mandriva One, that is the Live Disc for a test drive.

People might think that I am spamming or try to sell Mandy, is just so easy to use that I can say is the distro for the newbies.

The default is KDE, but during install, you can set GNOME or both.

Collapse -
I tend to agreed with you on the ...
by ahtoi / July 19, 2010 3:40 PM PDT
In reply to: If

the part about distro for newbie. PCLOS is really nice; I tried ubuntu a couple time, to me, it's still rough. But it appears to be the most popular distro right now (even my son is using it) or is that just publicity?

Collapse -
by R_Head / July 20, 2010 4:26 AM PDT

Can say that Ubuntu is pretty widely publicized. There are other Linux Distros that are as good or better depending of your liking.

I picked Mandriva over 10 years ago and still to me the easiest distro out there. To the point that I do not know how to use the command line, I use the GUI all the time Grin

Collapse -
Can u help me to impliment school network?
by apolin_b / June 17, 2011 9:31 PM PDT

Our school has 35 computers in one lab. So we installed ubuntu 10.04 operating system. But problem is there i can not do workgroup as windows xp. I installed networking with ip address, it's working but i can not see other all computers in any one computer as windows. can u tell me how to create workgroup?

Collapse -
You need SAMBA
by GODhack / June 18, 2011 12:44 AM PDT

I think you need Linux program called Samba.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.