Computer Help forum

Setting up efax at home

by caretaker6176 / January 4, 2013 8:42 AM PST

I am trying to set my computer so I can fax digitally stored documents on my computer to outside fax machines.

I currently have a Multi-Function Printer (HP Laserjet M1319F) attached to my Windows 7 computer (custom built) with a USB connection.

I also have a dedicated fax line and number which the MFP is attached to over a traditional phone/fax line. Traditional paper faxing works fine over the fax line.

Please let me know if I can with this hardware and if so, what I need to do from here. Thank you for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Setting up efax at home
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Setting up efax at home
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Sure you can
by wpgwpg / January 4, 2013 8:53 AM PST

If you have Windows 7, you can use the built in fax and scan program that comes with it. Since you neglected to mention what version of Windows you're running, that's about all I can tell you software-wise. You'll also need a fax modem which you can add inexpensively if you don't have one. They cost from $15 to $50 and come in both internal and external versions.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Thank you for your help, still questions
by caretaker6176 / January 4, 2013 9:37 AM PST
In reply to: Sure you can

I mentioned Windows 7 in my OP Grin

I was hoping there'd be a way to use the fax modem from the MFP and not have to buy the extra hardware. Is this possible? If not, it's not the end of the world or anything, just looking to save a little money and to have one less thing connected to the computer.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
I'd be surprised, but check the user guide
by wpgwpg / January 4, 2013 9:49 AM PST

If you could use the MFP's fax modem from the PC, that would be ideal obviously. You'd have to check your MFP's user guide or call HP to see if that's something you could do. If you have a separate modem, you could always set it up to send AND receive faxes. You could also get one of those dual outlet plugs for the phone jack and connect both the MFP and the PC modem to that line - you just couldn't use them both at the same time. Personally I always buy a separate printer, scanner, and modem so YMMV.

Good luck.

Collapse -
One more thing
by caretaker6176 / January 4, 2013 9:38 AM PST
In reply to: Sure you can

Add: I was also hoping that I could continue to use the fax number I already have without issue. That is more important to me than the other issues.

Collapse -
Since the HP LJ M1319F that you have ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 4, 2013 10:00 AM PST

supports faxing and assuming you have the software that came with it installed about all you need to do is connect the MFP to your fax line and start faxing.

It is all explained in detail in your user manuals but if you have misplaced them you can take advantage of these in Adobe Acrobat PDF file format:

The one that specifically covers faxing is HP LaserJet M1319 MFP - Fax Tasks ? although you also need to ensure you have the phone lines and handset properly connected as <a href="">this getting started guide shows starting on page 9<a> </a></a>

Your fax number will also remain the same.

Collapse -
Fax from Print Dialogue
by sunwatcher / January 4, 2013 10:40 AM PST

Here's how you should be able to do it (works with my Canon MX340):

- Open the document on your PC

- Select Print

- In the Print dialogue box, the printer name drop-down should have an HP printer with "Fax" appended to it. Select that one

- Select "Okay"

- On the next screen enter the recipient name and telephone number, then select "send now"

- The MPF will begin to fax the file.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
No, still need more
by caretaker6176 / January 4, 2013 11:14 PM PST

Thanks for the help, but I feel I'm not being clear. Windows Fax and Scan tells me that I need to set up either a fax modem or a fax server over my network when I try to fax something (using any method).

I'm trying to figure out how to use my current MFP (with fax capability) as the "fax modem" or "fax server" and just work straight through it without a separate fax modem. This is by far the ideal situation for me for simplicity, keeping everything on the same fax line, and for the small cost savings.

If this is not possible, then my major concern is, if I get an external fax modem and attach it to my computer, how do I get it to play nice with the current fax machine and also share the same fax line without issue?

Thanks again.

Collapse -
Don't use Fax and Scan
by sunwatcher / January 5, 2013 12:33 PM PST
In reply to: No, still need more

I didn't mention anything about Windows Fax and Scan in my post. What I described is exactly what you are trying to do - use your MFP to fax from your PC and not through an internal modem. Don't try to fax through Fax and Scan, do it through the Print function from your application (word processor, document reader, etc). If the fax doesn't show up as a selection in the print dialogue, then you may need to reload the printer drivers.

Collapse -
Windows Fax and Scan ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 6, 2013 2:36 PM PST
In reply to: No, still need more

require the fax server but if you either use the method I pointed you to in my previous post (that HP recommends) or the method sunwatcher suggested you are simply using the capabilities of the MFP itself.

Collapse -
Thanks for the help guys, but still no luck
by caretaker6176 / January 7, 2013 10:30 AM PST

Ok, Sunwatcher I tried your suggestion again, but this time I checked what's different. In my case, there is no HP-Printer "Fax" option. I tried reinstalling the MFP with no change. It sounds like I definitely can do what I'd like to here, I just need to figure out why it's not detecting/installing the fax feature of the MFP properly. Suggestions welcome, I swear I'm going to lick this thing.

Edward, maybe I'm blind, but I don't see anything in the manual linked that addresses my situation. What section is it under?

Collapse -
I am assuming that "my situation" ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 7, 2013 3:52 PM PST

is your initial desire to use the MFP for faxing.

The first link I offered you is a link from which you can access all the manuals:

The link on that page you should look at first is the one titled HP LaserJet M1319 MFP - Getting Started Guide (811.7k) and it steps you through setting up the hardware and installing the software. On page 18 Step 18 says "Set up the fax. If you did not complete a recommended install, set time, date and fax header" then it steps you through the header setup.

Next you need to read the User Guide (2.55M) and on Page 97 of the User Manual it starts with:

"Use fax

Fax software

Supported fax programs

The PC fax program that came with the product is the only PC fax program that works with the product.In order to continue to use a PC fax program previously installed on the computer, it must be used with the modem that is already connected to the computer; it will not function through the product modem."

This is Chapter 10 where it goes into some detail on sending faxes using the document feeder and dialing and coversheets and cancelling and many other tasks until around page 104 it finally gets to using the fax software that came with the MFP and should have been installed by you. It says:

"Send a fax from the software

This section contains basic instructions for sending faxes by using the software that came with the
product. All other software-related topics are covered in the software Help, which can be opened from
the software-program Help menu.

You can fax electronic documents from a computer if you meet the following requirements:
* The product is connected directly to the computer.
* The product software is installed on the computer.
* The computer operating system is Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista, Mac OS X v10.3, orMac OS X v10.4."

It then tells you step by step for each applicable Operating System using the HP software and then it goes on to explain how to fax from other programs such as Microsoft Word (pretty much as sunwacher spelled out).

Only problem I can see is that YOU need to read it and YOU need to ensure that the HP software for the MFP was installed.

Collapse -
Thank you all who offered help
by caretaker6176 / January 9, 2013 9:04 AM PST

Well, it turns out that the fax portion of the software isn't compatible with Windows 7 64-bit version (checked on HP site). This would explain why the print and scan capabilities were showing fine, but not the fax. I broke down and purchased an external fax modem and am running the fax line through it. It works like a charm now.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.