Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Setting up a router as a wireless receiver

by kenbowman / April 7, 2009 7:57 PM PDT

Hi everyone!
Here's my question, I just bought a new desktop so now I have two desktops in my house. However, I still want to connect my old PC to the internet. I also happen to have two routers (I bought two just in case...) and I don't want to spend money buying a wireless adapter for my old desktop. So if anyone know how to turn a router into a wireless receiver please tell me! Thanks in advance!

My modems/routers (both of them) are NetComm NB6Plus4W ADSL2, firmware version 3.29u. My old computer uses XP and my new computer uses Vista.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Setting up a router as a wireless receiver
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Setting up a router as a wireless receiver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just use a wired connection ...
by Kees Bakker / April 7, 2009 8:00 PM PDT

between router and old desktop. Any wireless router I know (but I didn't check yours) offers wired connection also.

Kees

Collapse -
Desktops in two different places
by kenbowman / April 7, 2009 8:18 PM PDT

Thanks for the quick response! Well, I know that I can wire my old desktop to my router but I'm not putting my desktops in the same place. My old desktop is in my brother's room (before that, we just used the same computer) and the new one is in my room. I am looking for a way to connect my old desktop to internet wirelessly and I don't currently have the sufficient wire length. I found somewhere that you could use a repeater to connect a desktop to the internet. If you know anything about it, please tell me. I think that my router has a repeater mode but I haven't tried that yet.

Collapse -
Choose from ...
by Kees Bakker / April 7, 2009 8:29 PM PDT

1. Wired coonection.
2. Wireless PCI-card or USB-receiver.
It's impossible to use the router as a receiver, I'm afraid.

Your choice here.

Kees

Collapse -
Then...
by kenbowman / April 7, 2009 8:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Choose from ...

I think i'm just going to get an USB-receiver. I've already spent quite a bit of time on this... Should've thought about getting it before buying the desktop. Thanks for the response Kees. Cheers.

Collapse -
F.Y.I.
by FabricatedJ / January 13, 2010 8:58 AM PST
In reply to: Then...

Just to let you know, you can turn your wireless router into a wireless receiver using a program call tomato as long as your router is on the list. I know this is an old post, but hate when bad info is given so thought I would at least end this thread/post with the truth.

J

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.