Networking & Wireless

General discussion

Setting up 2 wireless networks to connect together...

by mesesmith / August 8, 2006 8:20 AM PDT

I am attempting to setup 2 wireless networks together but allow them to use their each individual internet connections, they are in close proximity of each other and share the same SSID and WEP password, yet I cannot see/nor access files or systems from one network to another? Does anybody know how to painlessly correct this issue?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Setting up 2 wireless networks to connect together...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Setting up 2 wireless networks to connect together...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Setup wireless network
by minh78 / August 8, 2006 10:56 AM PDT

Smith

Did you used Setup Network Wizard from Window XP.(Setup home or small office)
I setup my wireless network this morning. It worked great. Similar setup like your. I have my laptop is wireless and desktop is wireless also. After go through Network Wizard setup. I am able to view share files from either computer. My sticky point during wizard setup was the choice of my connection to the internet. There are total of six choices. My setup was number 4. To get to selection number 4. You have to click Other then click Next. After that select the first choice.
Good luck. Please let us know again.

Collapse -
Thanks Mihn78
by mesesmith / August 8, 2006 2:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Setup wireless network

I appreciate your reply, But I am actually attempting to connect 2 seperate networks together, Mine and my Brothers.... He has his setup through an dsl account with his 3 computers and I have mine with a cable modem and my 5 computers, I want to join the two networks together to read as one or atleast be able to be part of the same/shared workgroup.

Collapse -
wireless connection of two accesspoints
by hnteknik / August 9, 2006 7:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Mihn78
Collapse -
Sharing / connecting 2 WI-FI networks --
by RWeigand / August 9, 2006 10:00 PM PDT

From the original question, it seems that the requirement is to "BRIDGE" the two networks together so that files and services can be shared among networks. The "bridge" concept in networking has been around for a long time and is supported in WI-FI. As such, the reader should be looking for a network appliance that will bridge both networks together -- a sort of "radio wave reversed cable"-- the solution is most likely to be found in the advanced networking sections of the hardware vendors web site.

Collapse -
Setting up 2 wireless networks to connect together...
by KidTerror / August 9, 2006 11:52 PM PDT

RWeigand has you on the right track. If your wi-fi equipment does not support bridging you may be able to load 3rd party firmware that can add that capability. Also I believe most equipment can't be a bridge and an access point at the same time, it has to be one or the other. If that is the case then you would need to add a seperate wi-fi access point and configure it with a different SSID for your wi-fi clients. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Collapse -
Use VPN routers
by dgode / August 11, 2006 2:19 AM PDT

One way to achieve your goal and still remain secure is by having routers that support VPN. I have seen good ones and resonably priced from both Netgear and DLink. You replace both yours and your brother's existing router with the router mentioned above. You configure your LAN to set to say 192.168.1.x addresses and your brothers to say 192.168.2.x addresses.

With the VPN software you create a tunnel between the 2 routers (over the internet using the WAN IP addresses). Once the tunnel is established, you will be able to see his network with 192.168.2.x addresses and he can see your network with the 192.168.1.x addresses.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.