Networking & Wireless forum

Question

set up usb adapter

by rickborg / January 30, 2012 3:26 AM PST

I have actiontec m1000 dsl modem with w1000 module for wireless a usb adapter
I want to install usb adapter on a win xp pc
actiontec site says to push wep button modem then on usb adapter modem has no wep button usb adapter does main pc is hp 410t win 7 home

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: set up usb adapter
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: set up usb adapter
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Sorry I'm lost
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 30, 2012 3:39 AM PST
In reply to: set up usb adapter

No punctuation makes your post difficult to read.

"actiontec site says to push wep button modem then on usb adapter modem
has no wep button usb adapter does main pc is hp 410t win 7 home"

I think that should read;

"Ationetec site says to push WEP button on modem then on the USB Adapter, but the modem has no WEP button, only the USB Adapter does.

My main PC is HP 410t with Windows 7 Home"

If that is right, what Actionet web site is this? May be we could check.

Mark

Collapse -
actiontec
by rickborg / January 30, 2012 11:39 PM PST
In reply to: Sorry I'm lost

I type with a mouth stick due to disability and i do best I can sorry your concern is more toward punctuation I did say actiontec m1000 dsl modem with w1000 module put that in any search engine and you can see my equipment

again I stated support site video says to press wep button on modem and then on adapter but modem has no wep button so do you or anyone know what to do when modem has no wep button or do we discuss punctuation

again i clearly listed all my equipment so anyone would be able to follow

Collapse -
It would be even more clear ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 30, 2012 11:51 PM PST
In reply to: actiontec

If you could provide a link to the manuals of both the router and the adapter. Most (especially for the router) are available as a pdf-file somewhere on the net. Why should WE do YOUR homework?

Kees

Collapse -
actiontec
by rickborg / January 31, 2012 4:11 AM PST

thanks for your help.

clearly you missed my first post where I gave name of each item, model, etc. If you google actiontec as I did it gives you what I saw. I am unable to insert actionnntec into your search box or I would Kees sorry

thank you to everyone else I appreciate it

Collapse -
I did.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 31, 2012 6:04 PM PST
Collapse -
I'd have someone set this up for you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2012 2:10 AM PST

While I applaud you trying this, if the company that supplies this is selling you gear with defects that even an average person can't set it up my vote is simple.

Return the product for something that works.
Bob

Collapse -
button?
by bill012 / January 31, 2012 2:18 AM PST

Where are you seeing them talking about buttons. Could they mean icons on the screen?

I would suspect you configure this like any other wireless router. You go into the wireless setting menu and set things like your ssid and keys and such and then configure your PC adapter to match.

I would try to avoid wep if you can it can be cracked in seconds. Most stuff will support WPA I would advise you use that rather than wep.

Never saw this router before they sure like to overcharge for the wireless upgrade. You can get a whole router for that cost.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.