Phones forum

General discussion

Set a mobile phone up as remote camera

by GRAHAM WESTON / August 29, 2008 10:54 PM PDT

I do work on remote hilltop repeater sites, but sometimes when we travel to these sites by helicopter, we find that we cannot get in due to cloud cover. This can be an expensive exercise. What I would like to do is set up a mobile phone under cover at one of these sites. Be able to call this mobile phone, have it answer itself after say 2 rings, and then have it turn it's camera on. This way we would be able to look at the weather conditions at the site, and know if we can get in or not. Can a mobile phone be set up to do this.

Many thanks
Graham Weston

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Set a mobile phone up as remote camera
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Set a mobile phone up as remote camera
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This is specifically ver boten in some countries.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 29, 2008 11:14 PM PDT

Nokia had such years ago but it never made it into the USA. You are likely going to disbelieve that some countries forbid such equipment.

As such you will research studies done like this:
"Philipp Bolliger, Moritz K

Collapse -
Camera phone mod
by GRAHAM WESTON / August 29, 2008 11:49 PM PDT

Bob,
Many thanks. Yes I know that the governments of some countries get a little paronoid about things like this, yet they will still let you buy a gun.????. I am just looking at a cheap alternative to this problem. We are going to set up a remote telemetry system with still camera capability at this site, but that could be up to 12 months away, and cost a hell of a lot more than a mobile phone. So in the interim, the cheap option of a phone camera would do the trick nicely. I will give google a hit up and see what I can find.

Many thanks
Graham

Collapse -
GSM remote camera
by runner27 / December 28, 2008 2:07 AM PST
Collapse -
Did you notice the lack of the US office?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2008 2:34 AM PST
In reply to: GSM remote camera

While some laws have been relaxed in this area, in the USA there are still laws that could get you into trouble if these were in a business or not in your own home.
Bob

Collapse -
GSM camera
by runner27 / December 28, 2008 3:13 AM PST

I'm aware of "peeping Tom laws". The only difference between this GSM camera and the many IP cameras on the market is the route of transmission. I purchaced a v900 camera from Hong Kong and still have not got it running. It sends a sms message telling me it is "sending a picture", But I never recieve one. The instructions are the worst translation I have ever seen.
Paul

Collapse -
This goes beyond that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2008 8:29 AM PST
In reply to: GSM camera

Try to record audio and you could suffer. This area is a minefield and why you don't see this company here.
Bob

Collapse -
Cameras
by runner27 / December 28, 2008 9:55 AM PST
In reply to: This goes beyond that.

Go shopping at Sears, Wallgreens, Walmart, HomeDepot the list goes on.
You will be photographed from the time you walk in to the time you drive off their lot. As you drive home you will be recorded at many traffic signals. I live in the Detroit metro area, I can log onto State of Michigan Traffic cams and use their 121 cameras to follow a car as it drives 50 miles across town. A person in a public place can and will have their picture recorded, and they have no legal course to stop it. Cameras can not be used in a place that one would assume to be private. What places are private has been tested in the courts since the invention of the camera. There was a case in Indiana where a pervert had a camera hidden his boot, he was taking pictures up womens dresses while standing in a supermarket checkout. He was busted for that one. If he had the camera on his hat, he could snap away all day. By placing it on his boot he was taking pictures in a place assumed to be private.
I guess you just can't hide!
Paul

Collapse -
hey
by digx / August 12, 2009 4:44 AM PDT

Why don't you check out www.digitalxtractions.net ?

It's cheaper, easy to use (has only 1 button) and uses the AT&T network which has a wide coverage. If for any reason AT&T does not offer coverage where you work, any other GSM provider can be used.

Or give us a call at 1-866-976-4376.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.