Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Service Pack II for Windows XP

by jraesner / November 12, 2004 9:29 AM PST

Every time I try to download Service Pack II for Windows XP I lose my ISP. If I go to Start, Setting, Network Connections, nothing shows up. If I try to create a new connection for my ISP I get a message that the connection is already established, but I can't find it and I can't connect. I have to uninstall Service Pack II in order to re-establish access to my ISP. Help!!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Service Pack II for Windows XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Service Pack II for Windows XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Service Pack II for Windows XP
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 12, 2004 7:47 PM PST

I'm not sure I understand the problem here.

Downloading a file should not normally make you lose your connection and it doesn't sound as if you have lost your connection if you are getting a message saying you are already connected.

We need more information;

1] How do you connect to the internet? Is it by dial-up or by cable?

2] If by dial-up, how do you physically connect when you want to go surfing? Do you have a shortcut of your dial-up-network (DUN) connection on your desktop that you have to double click then click "Connect"? Or do you just open Internet Explorer which then automatically dials your connection for you, and you start surfing when the connection is established?

3] What is your ISP's policy on downloading? Some ISP's limit the amount of data a person downloads to a certain number of MB's or GB's a month. When that limit is reached, no more downloading is permitted for the rest of that month.

4] What do you mean when you say "nothing shows up" in Network Connections? Are you saying that your ISP connection has disappeared? If so, does it re-appear at a later time? I have never heard of a connection disappearing from Network Connections before, to reappear at a later date.

5] What do you mean when you say you have to uninstall SP2 in order to re-establish access to your ISP? Does that mean you have completed the download of the SP2 file, then have installed it, then have to uninstall it? Does the connection type re-appear in Network Connections when you have uninstalled SP2?

6] Why do you have to re-download SP2 each time? Once it is downloaded and saved on your hard disk, if install fails and you have to uninstall SP2, you just reinstall from the saved file.

7] Is this the problem? Are you downloading SP2 and "Opening" it each time without saving it? What you should be doing is downloading it, and "Saving" it to your hard disk, (to any suitable temporary location), then you can double click on it to install it at your leisure.

Mark

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Agree order CD!... you have it for future use. :)
by glenn30 / November 12, 2004 11:05 PM PST
Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 12, 2004 11:30 PM PST

I take it back about saving the SP2 installation file to your hard drive when it downloads.

Having overcome my cowardliness and just downloaded and installed SP2 myself, I wasn't presented with a way to save it anywhere myself.

So, my apologies for suggesting you should do that.

Mark

Collapse -
by glenn30 / November 13, 2004 3:03 AM PST
Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 13, 2004 4:11 AM PST

Ahh, excellent Glenn.

Many thanks. I was looking for that link.

Mark

Collapse -
by glenn30 / November 13, 2004 5:01 AM PST

Mark, you will need something other than dial-up to get that file... it is quite large and larger than the auto download. I suppose they trimmed it down to accomodate most people with slower speed access. My brother got it first and passed along to me. It was used to install SP-2 on my computer and I have never had a problem.

Cheers!

Glenn

Collapse -
by William Randall / November 13, 2004 6:06 AM PST

Back when I was still using my Win98 comp, I downloaded SP2 on dialup. Of course I used DAP, which I've since removed from my new WinXP comp.

I did it over several days but never used it since the free CD came from MS.

Collapse -
William...
by glenn30 / November 13, 2004 6:43 AM PST

I later received the Microsoft CD (two of them) but have never used them. I did make a Slipstream CD incorporating XP plus SP-2 in one CD. If ever there is a calamity I will get to try it out.

Glenn

Collapse -
Glenn...
by William Randall / November 13, 2004 10:47 AM PST
In reply to: William...

I too received two CDs. I never found out if the downloaded version was ok which is fine by me. Happy

William

Collapse -
Re: Glenn...
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 13, 2004 4:14 PM PST
In reply to: Glenn...

I have a cable connection and have used P2P file transfer programs in the past, (I hasten to say, not Kazaa), so I understand what downloading large files is like.

But perhaps ordering the CD would be a far simpler solution as has been suggested. Especially as now I have SP2 installed and running smoothly there is less haste involved.

Good suggestions all, thanks.

Mark

Collapse -
by jraesner / November 14, 2004 9:48 PM PST

1) I have dial-up. It the only option available to me where I live.

2). I have a short-cut on my desktop that I click on to open my ISP and then click on connect.

3). I don't know what my ISP's download policy is.

4). Networks Connections states it is "empty". The connection does not reappear later.

5). If I want to be able to have a "connection" to my ISP I have to uninstall SP II so that my system returns to it's previous state before I tried to install SPII.

6). My automatic updates keeps reminding me that I need to update and install SPII.

7). SPII is saved, I just can't install it without losing access to my ISP connection.

Collapse -
by glb613 / November 12, 2004 11:07 PM PST

Order the CD. Mine came in about 4 days.

Collapse -
by jsft / November 13, 2004 12:32 PM PST

I've done the same thing downloaded serp2 and tried to go on line and stayed connected but couldn't go to any web page and open it just a blank window had to go and create a time before down loading it as I couldn't find it to remove it in order for it to work so I still don't have it downloaded and microsoft will not answer me as to why this has happened or even contact me period so I would also like some help on this matter or help on finding all the files to remove them I know enough to get in trouble,Thank you.

Collapse -
Pack II for Windows XP W/ No Downld or Upload?
by tobeach / November 13, 2004 3:29 PM PST

I'm new to XP Pro w/SP1 +. But have seen several post of similar problem.
Service Pack 2, when installed, changes your native XP incoming firewall into a 2 way (in & outgoing). Further, last I heard, it also defaulted Firewall (XP) to the ON position. In this case, if you haven't specifically told the firewall to allow your particular connection to make outgoing connections, it will simply block all attempts. This would prevent existent progs from updating online till approved inside firewall setings. Additionally, if you have a 3rd party firewall already, having both running at once would be even more impossible.

Have you tried simply disabling XP firewall (rather than uninstall SP2) to see if your already running connection is now usable?? If so you have your answer!

Note: The previous update disc (Feb.2004) had a Comp.Assoc firewall & AV on a 2nd disk. This was one of the programs listed as being affected by SP2.

I haven't rec'd my SP2 disc yet (to long for net dwnload) at my speed, and am hesitant to use it when I barely know anything about XP Pro. H T H. Happy

Collapse -
by templain4 / November 13, 2004 11:38 PM PST
Collapse -
by jraesner / November 14, 2004 9:55 PM PST

From everything I've read it sounds like I should order the CD, so I have. Hopefully, I'll have better luck downloading from the CD than I've had using the automatic update. Thanks.

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 14, 2004 10:27 PM PST
Collapse -
by aintnorainbowdorothy / November 21, 2004 3:07 AM PST

Sounds like when you receive the CD you're still going to have problems. You don't download from a CD but copy to the hard drive the information on the CD.
And, depending on the firewall or multiple of them, you're going to have problems. It's just like having three different anti-virus programs on your computer. They think each other is a virus so they fight each other all the time, making your computer nearly useless or completely useless. Having three firewalls may sound like a good thing but it just ain't. I use the default firewall in SP2, have it low-medium, and have blocked most of those incoming messages (spam) that I don't want. The more you junk it, the more SP2's firewall recognizes it as junk and then blocks it. I use only one anti-viral, AVG by Grisoft. It works fine and all that. I used to use Norton Suite and may do so again when AVG runs out. But, and this is a big but for those of you who don't know much about reged, you have to tell the hard drive it's non-operable anymore by deleting it from your registry. It's hard and one thing to remember is that your hard drive now knows that it isn't to be used. But it will never leave your hard drive. Every, and I mean every, thing ever put there stays there. That's how they caught the Enron people, the brokers, etc. Forensic computer scientists, like any other forensic scientist, can get the computer to pull the information back to the front. It's still there. Anyway when you install SP2, lower the built-in firewall, don't leave it on default, and voila, bet your ISP shows up. And the more you tell the service that something is junk the more things will be blocked.

Collapse -
Able to recover EVERYTHING? Maaaaybe ;)
by unigamer69 / November 26, 2004 11:27 AM PST

It may not be able to destroy everything, or stop the most determined attackers - but data wiping, especially Gutmann-style (35 pass), will most likely make life difficult for anyone looking at a drive. Not that they couldn't get *something* - I'm sure that the wiping programs for an active system will leave *some* traces, and with enough time, money, and a Tunneling Electron Microscope.... you get the idea.

Note that I'm not recommending anyone use such a program for illegal purposes, because 1.) That'd be morally wrong, 2.) It *may* (not a lawyer here) be Obstrution of Justice, and 3.) In the case of a criminal case, there's a good chance something will be left, esp. on an active system... so don't do anything stupid.

I certainly would recommend that anyone disposing, giving away, selling, etc. a computer which has an operable hard drive use a disk wipe though... I've read a few horror stories of people that didn't. Do a little Googling and you may find out what I mean.

Jeff

Collapse -
Re: Able to recover EVERYTHING? Maaaaybe ;)
by mjandjason / November 29, 2004 3:26 AM PST

Jeff,

I am thinking about selling my laptop, what software would you recommend me using to wipe my drive but still retaining my harddrive so I don't have to reinstall the OS?

-Jason

Collapse -
by FrankS / November 19, 2004 11:20 PM PST

Welcome to the club i tried to uninstall sp-2 now my computer just keeps rebooting over and over someone ought hang gates buy the short ones!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
by pgoodma / November 20, 2004 11:18 PM PST

I have downloaded SP2 and installed/uninstalled it several times. Every time I install it I lose my Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, Outlook, and System Restore. I consider myself VERY computer literate, but I can't find a fix. Have searched extensively!

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / November 21, 2004 2:05 AM PST
Every time I install it I lose my Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, Outlook, and System Restore. I consider myself VERY computer literate, but I can't find a fix.

First, your posting a thread to a thread here, it should be your own Message so things don't get mixed all together with somebody else's problem.

Second, have you read through the entire content of this "message" to possibly identify the culprit/cause?
Collapse -
by sysintegrator / November 22, 2004 4:45 AM PST

THe clue is the disappearing DUNS connectivity. If RPC is okay in your services stack - Look first in your administrative tools, event log to see which failed, but RAS gives you a error 5 access denied, then you need to look at this Microsoft KB link:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330163

You probably tried to do a system restore to a point prior to a post SP1 update auto download patch point. This will cause this error unless you downloaded a 650K patch from about mid 2002. From memory I think it was Q39441. You'll have to check. Worst case is to use your XP CD to do a repair. Boot from CD, access repair. Most of you stuff except for a few things in document and settings will be okay, even if you haven't backed up.

Collapse -
by edintheclouds / November 26, 2004 5:38 PM PST

All I know about XP SP2 is that everything slowed down to a crawl after I installed it. I suppose I'm guilty of not knowing enough of firewalls and the like, or even if I have one installed already, but the remedy I employed was to uninstall it, whereupon everything returned to normal. Now I just have to keep putting up with the reminder that updates are available. I reckon what you don't have you don't miss, but AM I missing something that would be of any great benefit?

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 26, 2004 7:11 PM PST

Ed,

I believe you are.

SP2 provides greater protection against the things that are out there that want to make your internet surfing difficult and painful.

It provides updated security for Internet Explorer, (IE). Not the most favorite internet browser on these forums, but a necessary evil. Security patches for IE may not be available for non-SP2 computers in the future.

It provides a Security Centre which recognises whether you have any firewall installed "other" than the WIndows XP SP2 internet firewall, (Windows XP's own firewall). And it warns you if this other firewall is turned off, so you have the XP one as back-up for any reason. The new XP firewall is better than the pre SP2 one.

It provides, through the Security Centre, recognition of the Anti-Virus, (AV) program you have installed, and warns you when the AV's virus definitions need updating. If you have no AV, it suggests you get some.

All in all, it is a worthwhile upgrade. But, before anyone upgrades, they must "housekeep" their computer first.

Have a look at this post I did awhile ago for another person. His problem was complicated, and he resolved it different ways, but the steps I listed there are still valid, in my view.

The post is at;
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=46283&messageID=550557

In short, you must be completely prepared to accept SP2, and I think you have little choice but to download and install it.

Good luck,

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.