Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

service pack ?

by chris_prior / March 19, 2012 8:08 AM PDT

i have an xp service pack 3 machine. can anyone please tell me why it is trying to download a service pack 2 ,dll file via win update? called xpsp2res.dll and is this .dll dangerous

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: service pack ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: service pack ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
service pack ?
by chris_prior / March 19, 2012 8:23 AM PDT
In reply to: service pack ?

thankyou i 'get the' hotfix, but why is it trying to down load a sp2 onto a sp3 machine?

Collapse -
Check the link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2012 8:26 AM PDT

The name of the file.dll seems to be confusing some.

Collapse -
service pack ?
by chris_prior / March 19, 2012 8:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Check the link.

thanks again for reply, is hotfix not another name for a patch? just read this on http://www.file.net/process/xpsp2res.dll.html
(The service has no detailed description. xpsp2res.dll is not a Windows system file. It can change the behavior of other programs or manipulate other programs. Therefore the technical security rating is 64% dangerous, however also read the users reviews.)

Collapse -
Which is why
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2012 9:12 AM PDT

We get such from Microsoft and hope for the best. I don't want to re-write the Microsoft article but this patch/hotfix is not SP2. It only required SP2 (or later) before the HOTFIX is applied.
Bob

Collapse -
one last one
by chris_prior / March 19, 2012 9:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Which is why

thanks a mill Bob, Is there any chance the .dll could cause problems with DNS ?

Collapse -
It didn't here. But since you asked.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2012 9:38 AM PDT
In reply to: one last one
Collapse -
bar-stewards
by chris_prior / March 19, 2012 9:45 AM PDT

and I thought they were such nice people! Thanks again,
Rgds

Collapse -
Just a note about the site you referenced..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / March 19, 2012 9:55 AM PDT

I see no reason why you would want (or need) to take advantage of the scans they (file.net) offer. BUT .. on the outside chance you do, I would warn you against it.

The links they provide to identify and fix errors, are nothing more than a (disguised) download for Uniblue's Registry Booster. The site "appears" to have specialized fixes, when in fact they are not.

If you read this thread, paying special attention to this post, everything should fall into place.

Personally, I wouldn't trust anything about the site.

Only a friendly warning.. Happy
Carol

Collapse -
Mmmmn ok
by chris_prior / March 19, 2012 9:57 PM PDT

thanks, i'll take that on-board

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It appears to be a HOTFIX and not a service pack.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2012 8:11 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
That link.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 19, 2012 9:50 PM PDT

Hi Chris. I read the article in that link Bob provided and I believe I understand what is going on.

When SP2 was introduced, some years ago now, it caused problems in some machines with software that caused them not to run. The article provides 3 error messages users may have seen, to do with memory or storage errors.

It seems Microsoft has hunted this error down and found it applies to changes made by installing SP2. The {potential} problem may still exist, even for those users who, like you, are up to date with Windows Updates and installed SP3 and others afterwards, hence this Windows Update. Microsoft called it xpsp2res.dll simply to signify that it "resolves" problems created by installing SP2. That is an assumption by me because I don't know Microsoft's method of naming files and updates.

It seems that, prior to this general release of the fix, Microsoft offered Hotfixes for those users who reported the problem. But now Microsoft has incorporated the fix into a Windows Update. I am assuming, (sorry, a lot of assumptions), that being a DLL file it is intended to be called by the OS whenever such a problem exists, although it might even replace an existing file on the system with an updated and corrected DLL.

I have always trusted Microsoft Updates on all my Windows machines even if I don't really know what they are or what they are for. It is just too complicated for me to understand, Happy

That said, I have, on the odd occasion, created a System Restore point before installing some updates if there was a slight concern in my mind. Windows Vista and Win 7 always creates SR points beforehand anyway, but I never quite trusted XP to do this all the time, so that is why I created a manual SR point.

Also, XP allowed us to visit the Windows Update web site to view updates and see whether they were noted as security, or critical, or optional, and to 'hide' updates if we wanted to. I'm not sure if XP still allows that, (Start menu > Windows Updates), as Vista and Win 7 did away with that option.

In this case I would suggest to trust Microsoft and apply the update. You may not have experienced any problems as said by Microsoft so far, but we can't say that you never will, especially for any new software you install, and so this can be treated as a preventative measure.

I hope that helps, but any problems come back and we will help.

Mark

Collapse -
yup! makes sense
by chris_prior / March 19, 2012 11:02 PM PDT
In reply to: That link.

thanks a mill mark.

Collapse -
(NT) You're welcome.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 20, 2012 6:31 AM PDT
In reply to: yup! makes sense
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.