Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Server taking too long to respond

by techcuse1 / September 7, 2010 5:51 AM PDT

Hello Forum

When i go to view certain web pages like yahoo, google,etc. i get a message saying server at is taking too long to respond.

The connection has timed out
The server at is taking too long to
The site could be temporarily unavailable or too
busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your
computer's network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a
firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is
permitted to access the Web.
Try Again

What steps can i take from stopping this to occur, it happens on a regular basis. I have windows vista 32 bit home premium with ie and firefox as my browsers.

Any suggestions or ideas to help me with this problem would be greatly appreciated ?

Thank You

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Server taking too long to respond
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Server taking too long to respond
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If this is a Proxy server.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 7, 2010 6:36 AM PDT

Your problem sounds strangely like a Proxy Server problem, and yet from your post it only seems to be intermittent.

For example, if you were unable to connect to any web site except secure, (HTTPS) sites, I would do this.

Open Internet Explorer, (It doesn't matter if you normally use Firefox). Goto Tools > Internet Options, then the Connections tab. Find the "LAN Settings" button and click it.

In the new window, if there is any Proxy Server settings listed, remove them all and remove the ticks. Leave all the options blank. Click OK, then Apply/OK, close down IE and then restart Firefox and try again.

If that fails, then this is a different problem, and also, I am assuming you don't use Proxy Servers by choice anyway.

Collapse -
proxy server
by techcuse1 / September 8, 2010 9:55 AM PDT

Lan settings nothing was checked

Any more suggestions

Collapse -
Next steps then
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 8, 2010 7:57 PM PDT
In reply to: proxy server

Do these web sites work in IE?

Does this problem happen with every site, or just Yahoo, Google?

Some security applications can block sites, eg Firewalls or anti-virus/firewall combined utilities. Which do you use?

Some anti-spyware apps can also block sites, like Spybot Search & Destroy. What anti-spyware utilities do you use?

Check your Hosts file. Hosts has no file extension and is found in;

Click, (or double click) the file and select Notepad to open. Be sure that the option "Always use this application to open this file" is not selected.

Hosts is a file that every browser reads through first when it is looking to connect to web sites. It can be used to block sites, or it can be used to 're-direct' the browser to a different web site to the one you chose. If a web site is blocked there will be an entry similar to;

The IP address is your own computer, so an entry like the one above would prevent your browsers from connecting to Google as it 'loops back' to your own computer.

If you find any entries like that, delete the whole line for each. Then goto File > Save as, and make sure that the "Save as type:" shows "All files (*.*)" and not *.txt before clicking Save.

If there are no entries, just close down the Hosts file by clicking the "X" at top right.

If that fails, start looking for malware using the recommended utilities below;
Malwarebytes' Anti-malware and SUPERAntiSpyware

Let us know how you get on.

Collapse -
next steps
by techcuse1 / September 9, 2010 9:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Next steps then

Do these web sites work in IE? No

Does this problem happen with every site, or just Yahoo, Google?
Every site i visit

Some security applications can block sites, eg Firewalls or anti-virus/firewall combined utilities. Which do you use? Windows defendor, AVG 9 free edition, mcafee security came with computer

Some anti-spyware apps can also block sites, like Spybot Search & Destroy. What anti-spyware utilities do you use?
Super Anti spyware free edition, malware bytes and i also mil shield 7.5 to clean files as well.

No luck with the host files.

I have malware bytes and superanti spyware already.

Collapse -
Just a thought
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 9, 2010 8:19 PM PDT
In reply to: next steps

Hi Jeff.

Tell us more about AVG 9 free edition and McAfee Security Center please.

I know AVG 9 free edition is an anti-virus scanner and anti-spyware scanner combined. I believe, (but I am not 100% certain), that this free edition does not include a firewall.

I don't know anything about McAfee Security. What does it do, and what components does it have, eg Firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware?

It's just a thought that having two of utilities like firewall and anti-virus both running in the background can cause conflict in a system.

When did this problem begin, and what changed on your system when it did? I'm thinking any software installs, Windows settings changes, any updates, (Windows or other software), or change in internet access, like a new router, or change of ISP, etc.

Can you use the internet for secure pages, (those where the web address starts with https:// ), and can you update anti-malware definitions without problems?

And just to confirm, have you scanned with MBAM and SAS since this problem started?

And finally, for now, what type of internet connection do you have, broadband, dial-up, router, (wired or wireless)?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.