Samsung

General discussion

serious HDMI issue with my Samsung LN40A650

by mikemelo13 / May 17, 2009 3:28 PM PDT

How's it going. Thank you in advanced for your time and effort in trying to help me through my problem. So I own a Samsung LN40A650 40inch. I've had it since the end of September and never had any issues with it. All of a sudden for some reason I am now having issues hooking up my Playstation 3 with an HDMI cable. This never gave me problems before. I've trolled through every forum out there and nothing has given me an answer yet. I thought okay it must be the cable because I also use the TV as my PC monitor with an HDMI hook up and that start to crap out every now and again so I had to restart my computer and it seemed to work.

So I've tried everything with the PS3 software updates reformatting the AV settings and nothing has worked. I have even gone out and bought a brand new Monster 750HD cable and still nothing is working.

If there is any insight anyone can give me or any further information you need from me to help narrow my issue down that would be excellent and I am willing to search for any other info needed.

Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: serious HDMI issue with my Samsung LN40A650
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: serious HDMI issue with my Samsung LN40A650
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Issue?
by MrDerbyUK / May 17, 2009 5:44 PM PDT

Hi,

If you could describe what the issue is in more detail, it may lead people on here to suggest a remedy for the problem.

For instance is there just no picture (no signal), or is there a picture but it has funny square splodges on it etc.

Does the TV work fine with other sources?

What is the PS3 set to output on the HDMI connector (I guess this would require connecting via component/svideo or something so you can see the PS3 menu).

Thanks

Collapse -
Issue still here
by mikemelo13 / May 18, 2009 1:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Issue?

Yeah sorry about that. What my main problem is, is that I keep getting no signal on all 4 HDMI ports. Now like I said I connect my PC to my HDMI port 4 becuase it seems like that's the only one it wants to get a signal with and sometimes it's a hassel. But yeah I've been using standard AV cables with my PS3 and setting the HDMI settings for it and then switching to the HDMI port and it still is giving me a no signal. I'm not hearing any audio or video. I went out and bought a monster cable to see if it was my cable that was the problem but I have ruled that out and know looking that it's the PC and the PS3 giving me issues more the PS3 I'm thinking it's the TV becuase it's highly unlikely for both the PS3 and the PC HDMI imputs to be crapping out.

Collapse -
Maybe
by MrDerbyUK / May 18, 2009 6:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Issue still here

Hi there,

Firstly in my personal opinion monster cables are a bit overpriced for what they are. A HDMI (1.3 spec) cable should cost between $10 to $40 tops for a ~1metre (hmm 3 foot?) cable. If you are doing a long run say over 4 metres (13 feet?) then yes go for expensive cables.

Anyhow to your issue. I think the key thing is trouble shooting so as to be able to provide more info for the official Samsung peeps on here (HDTech etc). That way they may be able to help diagnose your issue.

Try setting your devices to 720p and seeing if that outputs ok? If it does then change it to 1080p. If you don't get a picture then something hookie is going on.

Also have you turned on the device (PC/PS3) then turned on the TV and manually selected the HDMI port? From what I gather the sources list should only allow you to select HDMI ports that have a signal.

If none of the HDMI ports are selectable then the TV doesn't think it is getting a signal.

I presume all other forms of input (component etc) work fine?

Thanks

Collapse -
Thanks for getting back
by mikemelo13 / May 19, 2009 12:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe

Thank you for posting. Yes the AV cables for my PS3 work with the TV no problem. The PS3 can read the 480i or whatever it is with the AV cables but nothing else it won't go anything with the HDMI. I do have the Tech people coming to my house today to look at the issue so I will post back as to what they have to say and what the solution is:)

Collapse -
Problem narrowed down
by mikemelo13 / May 19, 2009 7:37 AM PDT

Alright well I had the Samsung techs at my house today and the problem does not lie within my tv because the cable I have works with their blu ray player so I have narrowed it down to the PS3. Now the PS3 AV cables work but not the HDMI do I have sent off an email to Sony techs and hopefully will recieve something in the next 24 hours pending a suggestion I will keep posted if anyone seems to be having this problem.

Collapse -
Problem narrowed down
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 19, 2009 9:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Problem narrowed down

mikemelo13,

I'm sorry for not responding earlier - I must have missed this thread somehow.

Try changing the resolution from your game console. Often times, the resolutions can change (cut scenes between game play, for instance) and often times, reducing the resolution can help.

As for the computer sending out audio, most of the time, those are driver updates and settings. Keep me posted, and now that you're in my queue, I'll assist where necessary.

I agree with the above statement regarding not requiring expensive HDMI cables. There is a poster here who bought some for under $20.00 and they work just fine for him.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Reset video settings on the PS3?
by clicq / May 19, 2009 12:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Problem narrowed down

Did you reset the video settings on the PS3? You can do this by turning the system on using the power button on the front of the unit, but *keep your finder on the power* until it beeps a second time. This should get you a picture over HDMI.

Collapse -
Tried it
by mikemelo13 / May 19, 2009 12:19 PM PDT

Yes thank you I have tried resetting the video output settings numerous times but still nothing. Like I said I think it has something to do with a malfunction in the PS3 now and I talked to a sony rep about it and he told me to do a hard reset which is basically waiting for the second beep but nothing happened so I'm waiting for another email response from them trying something else. Hopefully it gets fixed becuase everyone I have talked to has no idea wtf this problem is becuase no one has ever encountered it yet.

Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2009 12:26 PM PDT

My nephew's PS3 failed so I was the one to take care of it. I went online to Sony's PS3 repair and paid up 150 for the exchange service. A box arrived Monday and I packed it up and it was at the UPS store without delay. The next Monday a shiny PS3 was delivered. It was quite fast and the PS3 that left had a broken cover, many scratches and "issues." The returned unit was shiny new looking and works fine.
Bob

Collapse -
possibly
by mikemelo13 / May 19, 2009 12:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Just sharing.

Hey Bob,

Thanks for sharing but yeah it's looking like I'm going to have to send it off to get repaired or exchanged. So it costed $150 to have it exchanged was that inside or outside the 1 year warrenty?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.