Samsung forum

General discussion

Series 6 LED TV - Movies via USB

by Colin_Elvey / July 13, 2009 7:14 PM PDT

Have just purchased a 55inch Series 6 LED TV to find it does not play movies via a USB Memory Stick. Series 6 LCD TV's do and Series 7 and 8 LED's do play them.
Can anyone advise if the 1005 upgrade available on the Samsung website fixes this problem?
It would have been nice to be told it lacked this vital feature PRIOR to forking out over $5000 for the TV.
Otherwise how about a patch SAMSUNG!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Series 6 LED TV - Movies via USB
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Series 6 LED TV - Movies via USB
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
6 Series is 6000....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 15, 2009 6:27 AM PDT

The UN55B6000 television does support video, but it does only support certain movie types. Page 51 of the manual references the files that this unit will play.

Collapse -
Movies via USB
by Colin_Elvey / July 15, 2009 8:33 AM PDT
In reply to: 6 Series is 6000....

Thanks for that. My model is the UA55B6000 and on Page 51 of the manual, only terms from the LGPL are shown. I can't find anything in them about movie types. Please elaborate or provide a link to the manual you are referring to. Cheers.

Collapse -
Movies via USB
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 15, 2009 1:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Movies via USB

I'm guessing this isn't a US product then. Some features are available in some regions that (for whatever reason) aren't available for other regions.

The specifications posted here only apply to U.S. models. It may be possible that similar "sister" models are available worldwide may not have the same features. If it was advertised in your region with that feature, the best I can say is to call the Samsung Customer Service Center in your region.

Collapse -
Can the 6 series play avi files, my location is Sydney, Aust
by cpsarros / December 5, 2009 11:30 AM PST
In reply to: Movies via USB

I am located in Sydney, Australia and I just bought the 6 series 46" LED. Is it at all possible to play avi files ??

Collapse -
Why has Samsung ripped off Australian series 6 Led tv buyers
by lukesteele1 / December 27, 2009 12:51 PM PST

I just watched a youtube vid of the UN46B6000 TV, the US model, and it has internet access(LAN) and widgets and will play movies off a USB stick, SO WHY CANT MINE SAMSUNG? I'm sick to death of corporations playing games with us in Oz. I want a firmware update that will address this obvious inequality NOW!!!. If I'd known about this deceptive lack of features to start with Id have gone for a series 7, but I guess Samsung's price for what the US gets for free would have made the set too expensive anyway. I have read there is a way to upgrade the firmware on a 6 to a 7 with the remote..that would certainly help me feel better about this. I await a SAMSUNG reps reply.

Collapse -
Can the 6 series play avi files, my location is Sydney, Aust
by Highlanderinaus / September 26, 2013 11:11 AM PDT

I have the same model. Did you have any luck?

I can get into service mode, but the model options are totally different

Collapse -
Messed about too.... still awaiting their reply..
by james_austin / December 29, 2009 9:17 PM PST
In reply to: 6 Series is 6000....

I phoned samsung support for their help regarding a TV. - I wanted one that I could play mkv and avi's through.

They swore to me that the 32" 6000 could.

I asked him to clarify it about 3 times. - He swore to me that it could.

I then went to currys and found this leaflet....

This too said that it had usb 2.0 movie capability.

So I bought it! - and guess what. It doesn't.

I'm still waiting to hear back from them about whether or not I can get an upgrade or my money back....

Collapse -
Samsung sales misleading on Series 6 Ethernet connectivity
by usauser121D / January 30, 2010 11:05 AM PST

Just spent $3000 on an LED Series 6, B6000. Sales rep sold me the wireless samsung usb dongle (for another $75) confirming over and over that this would allow access to internet and PC wireless LAN with streaming video, pics, etc on a home wireless network. Turns out, the series 6 LED does NOT support DNLA and so I cannot do it although it will get on the network and import some cheesy weather/news info from USA today (? what the?)). Is there a way to upgrade a series 6 LED to a series 7 or 8 (through firmware or other?)? It's frustrating to pay this much money, be told one thing, only to find out it doesn't work. Sort of the reason I bought it in the first place. Any thoughts?

Collapse -
6 series samsung LED tv upgrade to 7 series to enable usb
by 8413bob / February 6, 2010 3:42 AM PST
In reply to: Firmware

To be able to view avi movies via usb on 6 series led tv eg. ue32b6000
Turn off tv with remote-On remote Press Info ? Menu ? Mute ? Pointing at tv.Then turn on tv.You are now in Service Menu..You need to scroll to Options-Model.Mine reads b6000 which I scrolled until I got to b7000-Then Press Enter.I changed nothing else(YET)Turn off tv & then on again.When you insert usb stick you now have an extra option(MOVIES)as well as your original MUSIC & PICTURES.I believe other options of the 7 series are now also enabled so I will be possibly buying a samsung wireless dongle but 1 thing at a time.Currently watching usb film with satisfying grin

Collapse -
service mode doesnt seem to be working for me
by cpsarros / February 8, 2010 4:44 AM PST

I tried to enter service mode as it says to but I still get the same screen once the TV it turned back on. I have tried pressing Info Menu Mute one at a time in that order and then all together and still nothing. Samsung really f'ed us over on this one. Can anyone shed some light on this, 8413bob ?

Collapse -
Service Menu
by 8413bob / February 8, 2010 5:23 AM PST

I assume you are using your original samsung remote.I have just tried again on my UE32B6000 LED and got straight to service menu,turn off TV with remote,Press INFO button Then MENU Then MUTE (All Pointing At TV) so you see your low level LED Flash each time if you have it illuminated.Turn off TV with Remote,Count to 5 & turn on again

Collapse -
Your "fix" doesnt work!
by lukesteele1 / March 17, 2010 10:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Service Menu

I have an Australian 46" LED Samsung and this fix never takes me to the service menu and therefore does NOT work!!

Collapse -
Samsung LED TV
by 8413bob / March 21, 2010 3:19 AM PDT

This way of entering the service menu has worked on many Samsung TV's.Obviously it works on my ue32b6000 LED TV (United Kingdom/Europe)as well as other countries.It may also work on your Australian TV as well but only samsung really know.You can try again,following this explanation...Turn off TV with your remote.Point remote at TV(even though tv is off)Press INFO button.Then MENU,Then MUTE,Pointing at TV.Then turn on TV with Remote & you should get a channel but overlaid with a service menu

Collapse -
I did that exactly. Nothing!!
by lukesteele1 / March 21, 2010 12:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Samsung LED TV

Does anyone have the code for Australian 6000 series Samsung's? Is there one? Samsung are you listening and saying nothing?

Collapse -
Samsung LED TV
by FORU2C / April 10, 2010 12:15 PM PDT

I've followed the steps below and it worked.

Thanks for this great poste.

Collapse -
excellent tip, worked fine.
by sjcollins1978 / February 19, 2014 6:24 PM PST

Had my 6 series LED for few years but never really tried using usb for movies until now and didn't realise the UK limitations of tv set so finding this forum is god send, couldn't get to work at first but was trying on the Hdmi screen, once I changed onto the actually tv screen it worked first time and it's now set up as a 7 series so thank you your the great advice

Collapse -
hi bob, please verified, i had tried so hard and still not
by vhdoan2006 / April 1, 2010 7:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Service Menu

dear bod

I tried to enter service mode as it says to but I still get the same screen once the TV it turned back on. I have tried pressing Info Menu Mute one at a time in that order and still nothing. can anyone help me with this

Collapse -
service menu ammendment
by 8413bob / February 8, 2010 5:59 AM PST

I meant to add to turn off TV & count to 5 once you had scrolled to options,model & changed to 7000 & pressed enter(centre button)

Collapse -
awesome, it worked
by cpsarros / February 8, 2010 5:16 PM PST

Thank you heaps for that, I tried this after your first reply and the TV was off for about an hour and then tried the key sequence and turned the tv on and it was in service mode, changed the model to the 7000 and tv off and on and plugged the USB in and it was perfect. It worked like it was always meant to. I hope that all the people with 6 series find this thread and get it working.

Thanks again!!!

Collapse -
hi my australian samsung...UA Series 6 Samsung Led tv.......
by vhdoan2006 / April 1, 2010 6:50 PM PDT
In reply to: awesome, it worked

hi, please help me.
my samsung from australia, i am not able to play movie via
i had tried to

1. turn off tv using remote
2. while tv is off. i pressed infos, menu then mute.
3. turn tv on
and i never get into the service mode??

please enlighten me thanks

Collapse -
Just plug your laptop vga out to your samsung vga in
by lukesteele1 / April 3, 2010 12:33 AM PDT

You can watch anything you want after that. I gave up trying to change mine too.

Collapse -
Worked for me in NZ
by technocratx / April 17, 2010 8:00 PM PDT

Initially I had trouble entering the code. It worked for me when I pressed the Info, then Menu, then Mute quickly. Try that.

Collapse -
Worked also for me in Greece
by ikar6 / April 23, 2011 10:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Worked for me in NZ

Thanks for your post mate! I was disappointed thinking that the triple button configuration for entering the setup menu doesn't work in my device when I saw your post. Indeed, the key feature is pressing the 3 buttons sequentially and fast! The movie feature was activated and works like a charm! Very happy indeed!

Collapse -
b6000 to b7000 for movie mode
by darrelliza / March 17, 2010 8:19 PM PDT

This was the best 20 Min's ever on the Internet. My b6000 was not showing movies off USB stick. Followed your advice and bingo now enjoying our telle even more. This really dose work Happy THANKYOU...

Collapse -
hi my australian samsung...UA Series 6 Samsung Led tv
by vhdoan2006 / April 1, 2010 6:31 PM PDT

hi, please send me an email to
i am not able to play movie via usb

please help me with instruction thanks
happy easter

Collapse -
read the posts again
by cpsarros / April 3, 2010 12:41 PM PDT

when you turn the TV off, you have to wait a few seconds, 5 is the key but in your case, leave it off and make your self a cup of tea and then go back and press info menu mute and turn the tv on...

worked for me

Collapse -
also can u play dvd file that u backup from the dvd (.VOB vi
by vhdoan2006 / April 3, 2010 8:35 PM PDT
In reply to: read the posts again

still not work, i leave for few hours, still not, could it be the firmware version, can u please verify the firmware version u got on your samsung??
also can u play dvd file that u backup from the dvd (.VOB via usb port??

Collapse -
check for lights
by cpsarros / April 4, 2010 9:47 AM PDT

I am not sure of my firmware version but when you press the buttons on the control, is the white light under the screen flickering when the buttons are pressed ?

Collapse -
upgrade 6 series led tv to 7 series
by roll12 / May 14, 2010 2:28 PM PDT

I tried that, got into the menu, but there was no reference to the B7000.
I then couldn't exit the menu, so I turned the tv off....mistake!
Now the light in the stand flashes on and off, and the tv will neither turn off nor on.
I've taken it in to the shop but they had no answers so it's back home - probably our most expensive ornament to date.
I'm now waiting for Samsung service to get in touch.
Any ideas, anyone?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.