Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Senior Citizen Friendly MP3/ Books on tape player

by Dental_FlossTycoon / January 19, 2010 10:51 PM PST

My elderly grandmother who can barely see is in a retirement home and in the past she used to read 3-4 books a week for most of her life. I'm thinking of using Audible.com to allow here to listen to books on tape instead of squinting to watch television/DVD's. I'm looking for something with good sound, but very easy big buttons and very easy download and organization for a Senior Citizen. I don't think a standard MP3 player, (i.e. iPod, Zune, laptop, iMac) would work for her.
Any suggestions for a player to buy?

A "Jitterbug" type MP3 player if you will.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Senior Citizen Friendly MP3/ Books on tape player
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Senior Citizen Friendly MP3/ Books on tape player
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In terms of large controls
by make_or_break / January 21, 2010 5:21 AM PST

Generally I think the iPod Touch is best at granting a large 'footprint' to control surfaces. Yes it's touchscreen and lacks any sort of haptic/mechanical feedback, but its screen is large and generally its onscreen choices are reasonably easy to read. I may not be in a retirement home, but I'm definitely challenged with my near-sight vision, and I've yet to have any visual clarity issues with my Touch. Plus it's Audible compatible.

Now as to how easy it is to manage and download...well, someone else will have to attest to that. I still do books the old-fashioned, traditional way.

Collapse -
MP3 for sight impaired senior
by Eileen36 / January 23, 2010 1:03 PM PST

I can't suggest an mp3 for someone with a visual problem and I don't know how a touch unit could help. What I do want to say is that you can download books from most libraries with either the IPod Touch or Zune Touch to LISTEN to, not watch. Yes, others with good vision, can also dl them to read. My library in Marin County, CA allows me to dl 8 books at a time so I always have plenty to read and the most important thing is that it's FREE.....to my very old mp3 player. They have recently added the ipod downloads thru Overdrive.

Eileen

Collapse -
Did you find anything yet?
by micherrera / April 22, 2013 9:17 PM PDT

I am looking for the exact same thing, a "Jitterbug" type MP3 player. Just wondering, did you find anything for your grandmother yet? I'd love to know so I could get the same for my mom. Thank you! -michelle

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.