Cameras

Question

Selecting a DSLR Camera

by pkbothers / July 3, 2013 4:19 AM PDT

In one of the forum I read that Nikon camera are leader in digital photography and Canon's are more towards Video. How far it is true?

Can anyone tell me which camera is a best one among these 3.
Nikon D4
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Nikon D800

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Selecting a DSLR Camera
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Selecting a DSLR Camera
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Canon - Nikon
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / July 3, 2013 12:23 PM PDT

These are full frame cameras and they are top of the line.

People have been asking which is better Canon or Nikon for well over 50 years and the answer is still - YES.

Canon owners say buy Canon.
Nikon owners say buy Nikon.

If you are serious about video, I say buy a Camcorder.

Collapse -
Canon 5D vs Nikon D4
by pkbothers / July 3, 2013 11:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Canon - Nikon

Thank you for your prompt reply. I am looking for a professional camera not a camcorder. I know all these are good still wated to know which one has more edeges over other the other. As the price of Nikon D4 is higher than canon 5D to me there must be some more advatange in D4 over 5D.

Collapse -
Apples and Oranges
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / July 4, 2013 12:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Canon 5D vs Nikon D4
Collapse -
Goood reply
by oterrya / July 12, 2013 5:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Apples and Oranges

If you want truly Pro, look at the Nikon D4 and the Canon 1D.

Go into a real camera shop (not a big box store) and ask to see them, pick them up and see how they compare. Pick the one that feels the best to you and works like you want. Unless you know of something that is critical to you, don't worry about the features. These are both top-of-the-line cameras. Both will do quite well for you. The important thing to me is how you make changes -- f-Stops, shutter speeds, ASA, light temperature, bracketing and the like. Both cameras are very fast to start up and to respond from idle.

I will admit I like one much better than the other -- it is simply because the menu and how to change the settings outside the menu is more intuitive to me. It works more like I think. You will have to determine which one works the best for you. (The one that works best for me is immaterial.)

That said, the Nikon D800 and Canon 5D are also great cameras. Don't compare the D4 and the 5D or the 1D and the D800 -- the comparisons are not fair to either. If you have the money, look at the D4 and 1D and go from there.

And then there are the lenses. Picking them out can get to be even more fun.

Collapse -
Good Answer-Canon 5D Mark III or Nikon D800 or 800E
by pkbothers / July 12, 2013 11:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Goood reply

I really appreciate the answer. Because of the price I just down from D4/1D to Canon 5D mark III or Nikon D800.

I went through many articles, everyone is saying both (Canon 5D III / Nikon D800) are good. No one giving a clear cut conclusion about who is the winner. I really appreciate if you throw some light or give me some tip or suggestion.

Collapse -
More Info
by oterrya / July 13, 2013 3:48 PM PDT

When I first entered the digital world, I knew I was possibly switching brands of camera -- my film camera brand was being acquired by another and the line was changing. I started out looking at, I think five different camera lines and quickly narrowed it down to two, Nikon and Canon. Not that there was anything wrong with the other three brands, I just liked the Nikon and Canon the best.

I then went in to my local camera store that has been around for almost 100 years (not a big box retailer) to look at them and feel them. I picked up each of them, had the sales person go over some of the features with me and tried taking a few pictures right in the store. I also tried making some of the exposure changes and other feature settings that I thought I might use. After doing this for each camera, I felt I had a clear winner. The pictures for both were excellent quality, both cameras had excellent response time. The only differences was in how you handled the settings -- exposure, bracketing, color temperature and other stuff. To me, one was more intuitive than the other -- it happened to work more like I thought. As I said before, there was no discernible difference in the quality of the two cameras or in what they could do.

I think it is important for you to go in to the store, ask to see a 5D and a D800, have the sales agent show them to you and try them. They will dig up a chip that will fit the camera to allow you to take a few pictures and look at them. I bet they would even put them on a USB drive so you could take them home and compare them (you would probably have to buy or bring your own USB drive). I did not do this last part (take the images home). I was not concerned with the quality of either camera. At that point it was the feel of the camera that was important.

There is no clear winner for all. Both take excellent pictures. Do I have a preference? Yes. But my preference is not about the quality of the camera but more that it works like I think. Friends of mine will swear by the other brand for exactly the same reasons. If I was aware of reasons why one was better than the other I would share them. I firmly believe this should be your choice in which one feels best to you.

Each time I add a digital camera to my collection, I look at the comparable models in the Canon and Nikon lines. So far, one brand has won every time -- it still is not about quality but merely personal preference. Go into the store and get the sales agent to let you play enough so you can pick one over the other. You will not save much if anything by buying one on-line. The prices should be same. If you find a place that ells one much cheaper than the others, I would be very afraid. For example, it might be an suspect import without warranty. Buying from Nikon or Canon direct through their website should be OK.

Please let us know what you do and how you like it.

. . . . T.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.