Cameras forum

General discussion

Seeking advise

by camera_errol / September 18, 2008 12:08 PM PDT

I am new to camera world. And would like to buy a Digital camera (semi professional). Most of the time, I like do more outdoor shooting (both day and night on landscape or human). If possible I would like to do some product shooting (such as mobile, mouse etc) as well.

Which camera would you suggest for me?
1. SONY A200k
2. Canon EDS 1000D
3. Olympus E520

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Seeking advise
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Seeking advise
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Of those three
by HTHMAN / September 18, 2008 1:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Seeking advise

The Sony.

Even the Canon users hate the 1000D. The Olympus is a little small for me, but a good camera. The Sony can use all the old Minolta lenses, so you can save some bucks as you expand your system. The same is true for Canon, but with Olympus it is a new system and you will need to buy new.

Sony and Olympus build image stabilization into the body so all lenses are stabilized. With Canon, you must buy the stabilized lenses. The old lenses will not be image stabilized.

Also consider the Nikon D80. It is being DC'd and is a good camera at discounted prices.

You will get great images with any of them. You need to get them in your hands, try out the controls and menus. Buy what you feel combortable with.

Collapse -
HTHMAN's on the right path
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / September 18, 2008 9:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Of those three

The only thing I will add is a question. Do you plan on learning about photography? There is a learning curve in shooting with a DSLR and getting the photos you see others shooting. Just because you buy pro style equipment does not mean that you will get pro style results. There are many people that would have had better luck with a very good point and shoot. Check out the forums at dpreview and you will see many posts of people wanting to know what's wrong with their camera because their point and shoots take better photos than their DSLR. People do not move to DSLRs for increase image quality, they do it to have more control over the camera. That control is what will give you the increase in image quality.

Collapse -
Among the 3 camera,
by jump1127 / September 20, 2008 3:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Seeking advise revealed the comparison of each camera against the competitors. Pick one that you're familiar with and feel comfortable of using it. Good luck.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.