Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

security for mac & pc

by hw4977 / January 23, 2009 10:42 AM PST

I have a macbook and a pc (Dell XPS 200).
I would like to know if there is software that is compatible with both op systems. In other words one product to run on both. I dont want to have to buy seperate products/versions.
thanks
Holly

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: security for mac & pc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: security for mac & pc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have a look.....
by Marianna Schmudlach / January 23, 2009 2:20 PM PST
In reply to: security for mac & pc

here:

ClamXav is based on the open source ClamAV virus scanner. Popular among open source fans, in practice ClamAV lags behind the detection capabilities of commercial antivirus software. For Mac users, this may not be a significant limitation given that there are far fewer malware impacting the Mac OS. If you're looking for free Mac antivirus software, ClamXav is certainly a virus scanner worth trying.

http://antivirus.about.com/od/antivirussoftwarereviews/fr/clamxav.htm

Collapse -
For your Dell machine and Mac
by Donna Buenaventura / January 23, 2009 11:56 PM PST
In reply to: security for mac & pc

You can install the free antivirus like Antivir or Avast for your Dell PC:

1. Antivir free at http://free-av.com/en/download/download_servers.php or http://www.download.com/Avira-AntiVir-Personal-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10322935.html?part=dl-10322935&subj=dl&tag=button&cdlPid=10986298

or

2. Avast free at http://avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html or http://www.download.com/Avast-Home-Edition/3000-2239_4-10019223.html?part=dl-AvastHome&subj=dl&tag=button&cdlPid=10998297

For your Mac:

ClamXav do not offer real-time protection for Mac computer but you can schedule it to run a scan daily, every other day, every week. You can try though iAntivirus by PCTools.com, you can get it at http://www.iantivirus.com/features/
There is free and paid edition of iAntivirus. The free edition offers real-time protection but only for Home users.

Collapse -
Not needed for your Mac
by jboroman / January 25, 2009 12:59 AM PST

You don't need anti-virus SW for your Mac ... as long as you don't install a virus yourself. EG, visiting 'unknown' web sites and downloading something from one of them; or, opening an email from an unknown source and clicking within the email and downloading something. Actually pretty simple. There are literally millions of Mac users who've never gotten a virus, trojan horse, mal ware etc...and, never used anti-virus SW.

Collapse -
I don't own a Mac but if ever I will have one
by Donna Buenaventura / January 25, 2009 2:39 AM PST

I will install anti-virus for Mac for the following reasons:
1. There are known virus, trojan and rogue software for macs. Maybe little types or names of infection for macs but that little amount is expected since the number of mac users compared to Windows is not much and I don't want to be infected in any way.
2. I've seen Mac users reporting infection found in their system so why take the risk? It does not cost much time to run a scan especially if the Mac system has enough memory to run a scan.
3. Apple allow installation of anti-virus program, Apple allow developers to develope anti-virus for Mac. This, to me an evidence that it is OK to have anti-virus.
4. Apple got an old article where they recommended to their customers to install antivirus but they pulled the article calling it old article/support/knowledge base. IMHO, there's no 100% immune operating system. Not even linux, mac or windows. So pulling it does not make Mac not affected at all. Why they don't check with security program developers where they found detection for infections on Mac and maybe Mac will put back the said support/kb.
5. Mac system has their own vulnerabilities.. a good antivirus might help prevent exploit to the 'not yet patch' security flaw in Mac.
6. Mac system allows installation of 3rd party applications like Skype, Firefox, Opera and these products have their own security issue that can "put" users at risk.
7. Mac system is bundled with plug-ins not created by them e.g. java and as we know already, java is another plug-in out there that can be use to exploit, infect or attack.
8. How a Mac user will know if there is NO infection at all, if there's no scanner that will try to determine an infection exist or not?

I can write more but the above is more than enough to me (I hope to other Mac users also to, at least, check if their system or emails is not infected at all), if ever I will own a Mac to use a security tools.

It is also up to the Mac, Linux and Windows users to protect themselves. Not visiting bad sites, not installing rogue products are the same advise that every user, no matter what OS is in use.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.