Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Security Center won't stay enabled

by new england / August 8, 2007 7:01 AM PDT

We're on xp sp2. When I check Windows Security Center, it is often disabled. I've enabled it more than once via the procedure listed at but eventually (like after logoff/logon or reboot) it's disabled again. I even set Recovery to Restart on Failure and Logon as local system account. Virus is unlikely with Spyware Blaster, SpyBot, NAV 2007, and Ad-Aware SE protecting it. Any ideas?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Security Center won't stay enabled
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Security Center won't stay enabled
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Virus unlikely?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 8, 2007 7:54 AM PDT

Disabling the Security Center is one of the favorite things viruses and spyware like to do, and it can be a sure sign of virus infection.

You say virus is unlikely with the utilities you have protecting it, but protecting it in the background isn't always enough. Have you updated the virus/spyware definitions for these applications and run full scans with them?

What I would do;

1] Disable System Restore. Viruses and other malware can hide in the backup files produced by System Restore points and anti-virus and anti-spyware utilities cannot remove malware from these protected files. Disabling System Restore deletes all the backup files. Be sure to re-enable it and create a new System Restore point once you are done.

2] Make sure all your anti-malware apps are up to date.

3] Reboot into Safe Mode and scan with each anti-malware utility, one at a time. In Safe Mode most malware cannot get started.

4] When you are done, boot back up into Normal Windows mode and visit the following for online scans;
a) Housecall at and
b) Ewido at

Let them remove everything they find.

5] Re-enable System Restore and test the Security Center settings.

I hope that helps

Collapse -
In addition
by tomron / August 8, 2007 10:08 AM PDT

Since you have spybot check this LINK

Collapse -
security center
by new england / August 8, 2007 11:12 PM PDT
In reply to: In addition

Mark, Tom- thanks. Will review your comments (we keep all the anti-malware updated) and report back. Your help is much appreciated.

Collapse -
Problem solved!
by new england / September 4, 2007 2:07 AM PDT
In reply to: security center

Spybot was preventing Windows Update from executing properly. When I cancelled the Teatimer.exe module, a component of Spybot, I could reenable Security Center and go to Microsoft's Windows Update page where it could then properly download the history checker. I then uninstalled SpyBot, rebooted from power on, and my system has been perfect ever since. My Windows Update history file is now being recreated (had to purge it before) as new updates are installed each evening. Sometimes too many safeguards can cause unknown problems by interfering with system functions.

Thanks to all (including Microsoft's online support people) who helped fix this problem.

Collapse -
Glad you got it sorted.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 4, 2007 2:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Problem solved!

And that's interesting about Spybot's Teatimer preventing Windows Update from working properly.

Well done.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.