Computer Help forum

General discussion

Secure websites won't load!!!

by Eman / April 18, 2004 2:33 PM PDT

"The page cannot be displayed" shows up when trying to go to secure websites. Started doing this all-of-a-sudden! Had to go back to a restore point last time to fix. I've tried changing IE security settings, etc. I've tried disabling Norton Internet Security, although it worked fine before. (Now Norton doesn't show in the sys tray for some reason - I didn't change any settings and can't enble it nor uninstall it!!!) Anyone have an idea? (Running Windows XP Home, Latest Norton.)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Secure websites won't load!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Secure websites won't load!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Secure websites won't load!!!
by Cursorcowboy / April 18, 2004 9:22 PM PDT

The article "Troubleshooting Browsing Error Messages in Microsoft Internet Explorer" describes the steps you can use to troubleshoot the following error messages:

a. The Page Cannot Be Displayed.

b. Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site Web address. A connection with the server could not be established.

c. The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

d. Cannot find server or DNS Error.

e. An internal error occurred in Windows Internet extensions.

Note: If you don't find anything relevant, step-back to the main page titled, "Internet Explorer Support Center" and start on another item.

Collapse -
Re:Secure websites won't load!!!
by Yew / April 18, 2004 10:22 PM PDT

There was a worm or virus or maybe spyware (the lines between the categories seems to blur more and more recently) not too long ago that would disable the cyrptographic service as part of it's attack. My first guess is that since you're using IE and probably Outlook Express as well, you've been hit by this particular thing.

Run a full system scan with both your anti-virus program AND at least two spyware scanners (such as AdAware and Spybot). You'll probably pick up a number of things you weren't aware of.

After that's done, go to the Control Panel, Administrative Tools, and then Services. Look around and you should see cryptographic something or another. Make sure that's started and set to automatic not manual.

Of course a better solution is to just forget about IE for everything but Windows Update and just start using Mozilla or Opera.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Secure websites won't load!!!
by Mary / April 20, 2004 5:58 AM PDT

I had two friends with the same problem recently. Same set up for 4yrs. and nothing was changed or added. Both computers were win 98 with IE 6 and this happned out of the blue for no reason at all that I could see but I am no computer expert. They couldn't get outlook express mail, couldn't get to the last part of check out when ordering things online, anything that was a secure site. After helping to search out a solution and nothing we found helped we ran the IE repair on one computer and that solved it immediately so the other person tried the same thing and again fixed immediately. I thought this was very strange to happen for no reason at all but something must have changed to cause this.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.