PC Hardware

General discussion

Second monitor has "no Signal"

by CodeCola / August 14, 2006 2:43 AM PDT

This is weird because everything was working just fine. I have 2 TFT displays connected to my Windows 2003 server box. I have nVidia GEForce 5500 Graphics Card whose DVI-to-VGA adapter I used to extend my primary display (Samsung TFT 17"). I set the second one (Daewoo HL710S 17") as the second monitor with "Extend your display" property in the Display settings. This was working just great for 3 weeks.

Last week I may have touched something on the connectors and the second display since then shows "NO SIGNAL". Of course I checked, tightened and did this again for the DVI-to-VGA adapter as well as the incoming connections.

I noticed that when the computer boots up, the second monitor displays just fine (the Windows 2003 Server logo etc). As soon as the machine boots up the display says "no signal".

I read somewhere the DVI-to-VGA adapter is basically an analog device. But all this was working just fine, I dont know what I touched off for this to stop working. Any ideas anyone?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Second monitor has "no Signal"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Second monitor has "no Signal"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Video cards and screens
by rmfunnies / August 14, 2006 11:37 AM PDT

How many video cards do you have on the PC? If there is only only then right click on the desktop and go properties. Then go to settings open-up advance and set your 1st monitor has defauft. Then apply the screen will go off for sec. this will ask you if you want this setting, click oK. If you have 2 monitor video cards with 2 monitors there is a free proagram that lets you use both at the same time, in fact the way you point your mouse is the monitor that is use. You can even have your back ground on both and spilt the screen if want. Here is the site http://www.mediachance.com/free/multimon.htm

Collapse -
re: Second monitor has "no Signal"
by ramarc / August 15, 2006 1:09 AM PDT

check device manager and ensure the OS 'sees' both monitors.
in display properties, ensure the 2nd monitor is still set for extended desktop

if both of the above are ok, i assume the issue lay with some driver setting. delete your display adapter and reboot to force the OS to reinstall the drivers. if that doesn't correct the problem, uninstall the drivers and set your display adapater as generic SuperVGA. after rebooting, reinstall the nvidia drivers.

Collapse -
Windows sees 4 monitors when there are only 2!
by CodeCola / August 15, 2006 1:21 AM PDT

Its strange. I have 2 monitors (both 17" TFT LCD displays) but Windows Device Manager sees 4 monitors! There are 2 "Default monitors" in the Monitors tree and even though I disable and uninstall them, when I dot a "Scan for hardware changes" it picks it up and show them again!

Where are these 2 extra monitors coming from?

Collapse -
Works in Safe Mode!
by CodeCola / August 15, 2006 5:22 AM PDT

By doing some tests I found the second monitor works all right in safe mode. so I checked the resolution / frequency and find that these are all way within the range the monitor can handle (60Hz and 1048x768). What gives?

Collapse -
re: works in safe mode
by ramarc / August 16, 2006 6:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Works in Safe Mode!

uninstall all of your video drivers and delete all your display adapters and monitors from device manager. turn off your 2nd monitor. when you reboot, don't allow the OS to install any software. check device manager and ensure you have only one display adapter (disable on-board via the bios if necessary).

now install the latest nvidia drivers. turn on the extra monitor and reboot.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.