Computer Help forum

Question

Second hard drive recognised, but only D partition.

by dafyd02 / January 24, 2013 2:46 AM PST

Hi. I added my old Vista hard drive (500 gigs) to my Win 7 computer. This drive came on the PC with the OEM. I bought Win 7 and cannot run some programs and installed the old drive hoping to use them. The screen went black for a second, I thought it was going to BIOS but changed back and said updating drivers. It assigned Drive letter G and it recognizes only D partition with 12-13 GB and says that it is empty. I put the drive inside the cage with the power and sata cables. Should I do something more or is it a lost cause? Thanks for any help. Bettie

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Second hard drive recognised, but only D partition.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Second hard drive recognised, but only D partition.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Did you go to Disk Management?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2013 2:48 AM PST

What did you find there?

And no, programs rarely run from the old drive. It's possible 7 saw the drive as C and didn't assign it a drive letter.
Bob

Collapse -
disc management
by dafyd02 / January 24, 2013 7:56 AM PST

Thank you both for replying. I went to disc management and the drive is listed exactly the same as D drive with roughly 13 gigs. Drive Manager shows 1 C drive, 2 D drives, 1 G drive. I wanted to use the Vista OS for 2 little programs, one a file lister and one b/u software both that do not work on Win 7. They both worked on XP and Vista. They are both easy programs to use and I am haaving difficulty with the newer ones.

Collapse -
What is "Drive Manager"? Link follows.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2013 8:09 AM PST
In reply to: disc management
http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=faq-Win-7&faq=15

Just to check I opened it and it is titled "Disk Management" and not what you noted. It shows Drives and how they are partitioned. Your response has me thinking you are not using Disk Management.
Bob
Collapse -
Drive Manager
by dafyd02 / January 24, 2013 10:07 AM PST

I am sorry. I meant disc manager. Drive manager is the b/u software that came on my external drive. Disc Management listed C, D, and G referring to the scond hard disc with Vista. Also the external drive. There is an extra connector on the power cable with no port. I assumed it to be for something like a RAID as a b/u.

Collapse -
I'll need a screen shot of Disk Management.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2013 1:50 PM PST
In reply to: Drive Manager

Drive Manager is not useful here. If you don't have a place to share the picture, try photobucket.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Old and new OS issues
by Willy / January 24, 2013 4:06 AM PST

You need to reformat and initialize it, if the whole plan was to add the old HD as a storage media, using the whole space. The plain fact you still have the old OS(Vista) present causes issues. So, under the disk managment area, do what it takes. You will lose whatever current data is on the old HD, so is that what you want?

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
screen shot
by dafyd02 / January 25, 2013 2:16 AM PST
In reply to: Old and new OS issues

I tried to send the screen shot of disc management. I did print screen, opened note pad and from there nothing happened. I am sorry I do not know more about using Windows; never uploaded or used photobucket. I do not understand why the screen goes black like it is going to bios (with the white print) and then switches back and opens in 7. Could Vista be trying to establish? I do appreciate the time you have taken with this.

Collapse -
In Windows 7, try the Snipping Tool.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2013 3:41 AM PST
In reply to: screen shot

It can save to file to send to a web site. It's a native tool for 7, and notepad is not for graphics.
Bob

Collapse -
Snipping Tool
by dafyd02 / January 26, 2013 5:00 AM PST

I used the snipping tool and attached the picture to the link in the notifications yesterday. I am guessing cnet did not receive it. I feel this is enough time spent; the failure is on my end. Thank you for the effort you put into the problem. I did learn about the snipping tool so something was gained. Bettie

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.