Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

search specific header

by Fat Fingers / February 4, 2012 10:55 PM PST

Hi there
I've found that a rival company has somehow engineered their page headers so that if anyone googles my company name their site comes up at the top of the search results with my company name as the title.
I've contacted them about this and they just say it's due to PPC but surely they must have set this up when building their site?
Can anyone please explain what they've done, what's the name for this and is there anything I can do about it?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: search specific header
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: search specific header
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Did they do this
by Sovereign Forum moderator / February 6, 2012 9:26 AM PST
In reply to: search specific header

through Google ad words? Was it a natural search result or in the advertising section?

Collapse -
that's what I want to find out
by Fat Fingers / February 6, 2012 12:51 PM PST
In reply to: Did they do this

It was a normal search from the google search page, I googled my company name and found that with that specific search their company comes up listed with my company name as the main page header, this only happens if I google my company name. I have been told that they employed a web optimisation company specifically to target my web traffic. They spent an entire afternoon discussing how to do this, I only know because the idiot then phoned a friend of mine and told him what he'd been asked to do.
They insist that this happens because of pay per click but surely they will have to have set their page headers on their site for this to happen?

Collapse -
It would be helpful
by Sovereign Forum moderator / February 7, 2012 2:49 PM PST

in this case if you could provide a link to their page, but if anything, open their website's source code (CTRL+U in Firefox) and do a CTRL+F to search for your company's name and see if it's referenced and where.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.