Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Search function not working at all in XP

by nahcjason32 / December 7, 2006 5:45 AM PST

For some time now I have not been able to use my Windows XP Search function. It doesn't even start up, from either of the two spots I use it. The first is by clicking the Start Menu, and clicking Search; the second is by right clicking My Computer and clicking Search. Both do nothing when clicked (at all, not even an hour glass or anything). It's almost as if teh executable for the function has disappeared. I have been pulling my hair out for a couple months now. I have searched many forums and have tried the fixes such as registry keys; running (regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\srchasst\srchui.dll); running sfc /scannow; kellys-korner help pages; etc..

So far nothing has worked and the only thing I have not yet tried was re-installing teh whole OS. I would like to avoid this if anyone can give me some direction or input.

Thanks again

JAY

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Search function not working at all in XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Search function not working at all in XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No clues there. But ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2006 5:56 AM PST
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/04/11/winxp_search_assistant_silently_downloads/ notes a few other files as well as it may depend on the internet connection. Now that most of us firewall off such it's too possible that we can break this. Also the lack of detail in your post is daunting. No mention you have all the service packs, scanned for spyware, if some trojans attacked the OS, etc.

Let me be clear here. Not all damage can be repaired at costs the owners will endure or tolerate. So today we must wiegh if a reinstall is the right answer.

Bob
Collapse -
NO clues??
by nahcjason32 / December 7, 2006 6:34 AM PST

Sorry about the "lack of detail in my post", as you put it. Didn't think there was alot of relevance in the fact that my computer is up to date. This isn't the first day I have had this issue. It has been going on for quite some time. And yes my PC is completley up to date, SP2 most recent service pack , I have a firewall and IDS as well and run frequent checks for malware and spyware. I can't tell you the last time I had to worry about a virus on my machine. And just for humor sake I ran Hijackthis and checked my firewall settings and ran a virus scan after checking for new virus definitions. No notable problems on my system. This is not the problem. The problem is the SEARCH function is simply not operating and with eveything I have tried, nothing is even remotely close to why its happening.

Collapse -
I'll bow out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2006 7:19 AM PST
In reply to: NO clues??

If it's considered irrelevant to ask to for details, I feel I must bow out. Best of luck and I hope you find it.

Bob

Collapse -
huff
by monsejour / August 31, 2011 7:04 PM PDT
In reply to: I'll bow out.

taking the huff, bob?

Collapse -
You ask this question
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 31, 2011 7:06 PM PDT
In reply to: huff

after 5 years?

Mark

Collapse -
Try
by phantazy / December 7, 2006 7:40 AM PST

Open Explorer and go to the Windows\Inf folder. Locate the srchasst.inf file. Right click it and select Install. You'll need your XP CD or the files from the I386 folder. (This fix will require you to have your Win XP CD).
phantazy

Collapse -
Plus
by phantazy / December 7, 2006 7:42 AM PST
In reply to: Try

You may have tried this already, but to be sure you should 'expand' the file from the Recovery Console.
phantazy

Collapse -
Still no good
by nahcjason32 / December 7, 2006 8:50 AM PST
In reply to: Plus

Thanks alot Phantazy for your help, I had tried to reinstall the .dll from the I386 folder already so that hasn't fixed it. I did the whole recovery console and that also didn't work. I appreciate you taking the time to consider some answers. If you have anything else I would love to attempt it as I am still stuck with the problem.

On another note, the Search function is not completely missing and not working as I thought originally. I can open up an Explorer window and click the Search on the menu bar and bring up the program in that window. It just does not want to work in the other two places (the Start menu and the right clicking My Computer and hitting Search).

JAY

Collapse -
My last shot
by phantazy / December 7, 2006 8:59 AM PST
In reply to: Still no good

I have a vague memory that this problem was caused by a recalcitrant windows update. Somebody loaded about 40 all at once after a re-install and this happened, and the solution was to uninstall one by one until it was fixed. Can you pinpoint when this occurred and whether any updates were installed beforehand?

Collapse -
Update
by nahcjason32 / December 7, 2006 9:33 AM PST
In reply to: My last shot

Not a clue, I will take a look at my update history and see if there was anything in particular that stands out. It has been happening for some time, I am talking months so exactly pinpointing it will be tough, thanks for the option, Reinstalling Windows right now is not an option so everything I try is a plus.

JAY

Collapse -
XP search window comes up blank for me also :(
by King of Potatoes / December 19, 2006 11:55 AM PST
In reply to: Update

Hi - I have the same or a very similar problem with my XP search assistant. When I try to search for a file the Explorer window on the left where the folders go, and where the search parameters used to show up, just goes blank - all I see there is my desktop background color. I tried the fixes above and still have the problem. I've scanned my PC with every AV product I can get my hands on for free and no luck there (which is actually kinda good...) The problem has been with me for weeks now, I can't recall whether the latest update or installing Kaspersky happened just before it shoed up. This was a recent XP install (months) and I got a whole lot of updates all at once, but the search worked fine for quite a while until recently (weeks).
Please let me know if you need me to check anything or supply more info. *crosses fingers*

Collapse -
In my case.
by tesaito / January 7, 2007 2:23 AM PST
In reply to: Update

Jay,I fell in exactly similar situation as you. In my case, new IE windows could not be opened in web browsing etc. So I think it relates something with IE, and tried to re-install it.
In my case, I just uninstall and re-install IE from "Windows component add & delete" panel, such that just uncheck IE and process, and re-check IE and process.
Hope this helps.

Collapse -
updates not the issue? - maybe a trojan?
by King of Potatoes / January 7, 2007 8:42 AM PST
In reply to: My last shot

OK I tried uninstalling all the updates installed after the initial XP install. Didn't help.
I still can't open the Explorer search function.
I tried installing the srchasst file too, no luck.
When I hit the search button in Explorer it pauses for a good 8 seconds like it's trying to find something and can't.
Almost like a trojan attack that doesn't want to be found...

Does that sound likely or familiar to anyone??

thanks...

Collapse -
Jay
by tomron / January 7, 2007 4:00 PM PST

Right click on start menu>properties>start menu tab>customize>advance>is the search box checked?

Windows explorer>right click a blank spot at the right end of the menu where the icons are>customize,highlight search on the left, click Add

Tom

Collapse -
still not working, a little confused.
by King of Potatoes / January 8, 2007 4:12 AM PST
In reply to: Jay

>Right click on start menu>properties>start menu tab>customize>advance>is the search box checked?

Did you mean right click on the start button?
when I start from there, advanced goes to Explorer/s Start Menu...??
I get a checkbox list at Customize, but there's no search checkbox there.

>Windows explorer>right click a blank spot at the right end of the menu where the icons are>customize,highlight search on the left, click Add

Yes the search icon is there, that's how I've been accessing Search.
I tried removing it, then re-adding it, still no luck.

?????

Collapse -
King of Potatoes
by tomron / January 8, 2007 6:09 AM PST

When you go to right click on start>properties>start menu tab>customize>advance tab>in the start menu items box,scroll down to search,is it there.

Tom

Collapse -
menu box
by King of Potatoes / January 8, 2007 6:37 AM PST
In reply to: King of Potatoes

When I right click on start>properties>start menu tab>customize I get a checklist box titled Advanced Menu Items, BEFORE I click on the advanced tab. I'm guessing that's what you mean.
There's nothing about searching in there.
There are things like expand My Documents, Scroll Programs, Show Small Icons in Start Menu, etc. but nothing regarding searching.
Does that help??

Collapse -
menu box
by tomron / January 8, 2007 7:11 AM PST
In reply to: menu box

Click on the advanced tab,you should see this,SCREEN SHOT

Tom

Collapse -
found the menu box
by King of Potatoes / January 8, 2007 7:33 AM PST
In reply to: menu box

AHA - I was using the Classic Style.
Yes the box is there and Yes it's checked.

Collapse -
Re: found the menu box
by Tufenuf / January 8, 2007 7:40 AM PST
In reply to: found the menu box
Collapse -
found something??
by King of Potatoes / January 8, 2007 11:03 AM PST
In reply to: Re: found the menu box

I searched my registry for the vaue listed in post #7, and found that (I think) the 3rd instance of it,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FindExtensions\Static\ShellSearch\0\SearchGUID\UrlNavNew

had 2 colons in front of it. Like this.

::{e17d4fc0-5564-11d1-83f2-00a0c90dc849}

See that \0\ zero directory near the end? there's also a /1/ and a /2/ and the value for the /1/ is different and also has 2 colons in front of it. The value in /2/ is different still, but has no colons.

Is that anything? Should I delete the colons? how about the /1/ and /2/... should they be deleted?

Collapse -
bump!!
by King of Potatoes / January 16, 2007 3:52 PM PST
In reply to: found something??

...it had 2 colons in front of it. Like this.

::{e17d4fc0-5564-11d1-83f2-00a0c90dc849}

See that \0\ zero directory near the end? there's also a /1/ and a /2/ and the value for the /1/ is different and also has 2 colons in front of it. The value in /2/ is different still, but has no colons.

Is that anything? Should I delete the colons? how about the /1/ and /2/... should they be deleted?

Collapse -
search problems fix
by hotrod54 / January 23, 2007 6:22 PM PST
In reply to: King of Potatoes

get a copy if tweakui ver 1.33, set it up, go to control panel and under 'desktop' check the "search results" box and voila, it works like advertized.

Collapse -
any luck yet?
by alw75 / December 15, 2008 9:13 PM PST

any Luck yet

Collapse -
Search Option is not working........in Windows XP
by g_raju_21 / April 27, 2009 4:57 PM PDT

START -- > RUN --->
regsvr32 wshom.ocx
regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 urlmon.dll

after this just restart and Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!11

Collapse -
Problem with Search Tool and radio buttons, in XP
by frank6th / January 28, 2010 11:53 PM PST

Your 3 line fix worked perfectly...Thanks alot

Collapse -
Works!
by splinebender / April 29, 2011 3:17 AM PDT

Thank you for making this easy.

Collapse -
Thanx
by smohi4u / November 29, 2011 7:51 PM PST

Your 3 line targeted time saving and perfectly work ...Thank you very much

Collapse -
search window problem
by anuantonype / January 16, 2007 2:12 PM PST

For some time now I have not been able to use my Windows XP Search function. It doesn't even start up, from either of the two spots I use it. The first is by clicking the Start Menu, and clicking Search; the second is by right clicking My Computer and clicking Search. Both do nothing when clicked (at all, not even an hour glass or anything). It's almost as if teh executable for the function has disappeared. I have been pulling my hair out for a couple months now. I have searched many forums and have tried the fixes such as registry keys; running (regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\srchasst\srchui.dll); running sfc /scannow; kellys-korner help pages; etc..

So far nothing has worked and the only thing I have not yet tried was re-installing teh whole OS. I would like to avoid this if anyone can give me some direction or input.

Collapse -
Solution
by andreazauli / January 21, 2007 6:24 AM PST
In reply to: search window problem

It's a problem of service registration.
Try this (that works for me).

Open a shell (start -> run -> cmd):
regsvr32 /i C:\Windows\Srchasst\srchui.dll
regsvr32 /i urlmon
regsvr32 jscript
right-click windows/inf/srchasst.inf > install

The problem, for me has started after kaspersky av uninstall!!!

Andrea

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.