Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

seagate goflex 2tb external harddrive

by kunsankorea66 / September 1, 2012 5:11 AM PDT

Have been using the goflex on a Windows pc, Just bought a MBP, want to use the external drive on it, do I need to format it for Mac use, if so, what software should I use?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: seagate goflex 2tb external harddrive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: seagate goflex 2tb external harddrive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I would.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2012 5:42 AM PDT

As to what software, Apple has a disk utility to partition and format the drive for use with your Apple. That utility is supplied with the OS and machine so there is nothing to buy.
Bob

Collapse -
Seagate 2tb goflex
by kunsankorea66 / September 1, 2012 5:51 AM PDT
In reply to: I would.

Thanks Bob,
For the time being, I am Apple challenged as I only took delivery on it a couple days ago. What is the name of this utility, and where is it located? I am the worm in the Apple, so far Apple is eating me!!

Collapse -
Disk Utility is located
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 1, 2012 11:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Seagate 2tb goflex

in the Utilities folder which is inside the Applications folder.

Launch it and, if you have the Seagate connected, it will appear in the left hand pane.

Select the drive in the LH pane and check the Tabs in the right hand pane. You are looking to Erase or Partition the Seagate drive.

The format you want to choose is Mac OS X Extended(journaled)

P

Collapse -
goflex
by kunsankorea66 / September 2, 2012 12:50 PM PDT

Thanks, got it done.

Collapse -
(NT) Good Job!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 3, 2012 12:31 AM PDT
In reply to: goflex
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.