Peripherals forum

General discussion

seagate freeagent hd rescue

by nofret / August 11, 2009 9:40 AM PDT

One of my free-agent 500g external hds crapped out. Oh no I thought. Another bunch of stuff gone. Then I took it apart. I slid it in the bay of an ext. hd I use for testing. The hd was ok. Just the electronics fried. At least no lost data. Hope this helps someone.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: seagate freeagent hd rescue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: seagate freeagent hd rescue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thanks for sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 11, 2009 9:47 AM PDT

This is one of the best kept secrets about failed USB drives. I've made your post a sticky for this week!

Thank you!

Collapse -
Just too good a secret.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 28, 2009 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for sharing.

I'm leaving this one as the sticky for awhile.

Collapse -
Seagate Freeagent
by JoJo_cat / October 30, 2009 2:21 PM PDT

I've had nothing but difficulties with my 500GB Freeagent back up drive.
I'm currntly on my third. The first one crapped out simultaneously to the hard drive on my computer about August of 2008. So I was forced to use Seagate's data recovery services for $1,200 bucks.
Since the drive was still under warranty and had failed they sent me a replacement. This second one only lasted a couple months before it would begin shutting down. By this I mean that the main computer would no longer recognize its presence even though it seemed to be running.
I've read posts online where people feel that it's the fault of the light along the front edge that causes these units to overheat. It is true that if you totally unplug them for about half an hour, and then plug them back in they will remount to the system. However this is a bad situation if you've got your computer making automatic back-ups. You never know when the drive won't be available.
Anyway I contacted Seagate and they sent me a third unit.
This one seemed to be operating well for about the first eight months I had it, but now it too has developed the symptoms I described above. I'm currently looking to purchase a different brand of back-up drive.
I'd be curious to know if your drive exhibited any of the symptoms I described prior to its crapping out. But based on my experience I'll never purchase another Seagate drive.

Collapse -
seagate freagent
by nofret / November 1, 2009 6:18 AM PST
In reply to: Seagate Freeagent

Hi. Just got home from surgery so I couldn`t respond until today. Anyways; Fortunately, My freeagent showed none of the problems yours had. My other unit has yet to fail. The light strip is just a low powered led. Cant do no harm. But I`m not taking any chances. The freagent electronics suck, so I went and got a Nexstar hd case. I can slide off the cover and put in any hd. I want. The circuits look well built. It has an on-off switch and Esata as well for fast data transfer. The kit even comes with wiring if you want to tap into an Esata port on your mobo. I use it for all my extra hds. Including the seagate hd.

Collapse -
hd rescue
by danderson029 / January 13, 2010 2:16 PM PST

Wow! Thanks, I know just where to test drive this info.

Collapse -
how do you open? no screws
by redstepchild / March 12, 2010 10:37 AM PST

got the free agent go classic. I left it unplugged for a few days to see if it would come back up..nope.

i dont know how to crack open the case.. just crack it open at the seams (I can wedge a tweezer in there and work it open),

If this works, its my only option.

Collapse -
I used Google to find out out. Link only.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 12, 2010 10:44 AM PST
Collapse -
thank you
by redstepchild / March 12, 2010 10:47 AM PST

i'm loving this link!!

Collapse -
seagate freeagent
by nofret / March 14, 2010 8:57 AM PDT

The bottom just clips apart. Use a couple of small screwdrivers or a flat knife. Sorry for the delay in response as I was a guest of the hospital for a while. Good luck.

Collapse -
instructions on opening your external hard drive
by redstepchild / March 12, 2010 10:46 AM PST
Collapse -
Possible causes for failures
by Willy / April 12, 2010 3:57 AM PDT

I offer this and anyone wanting to add or correct can do so. Understand its offered as an incomplete list, thought I feel it covers typical failures. -----Willy

External drive failures of HD or flash/thumb drives

1) mishandling
2) droppage
3) improper dismount(corruption)
4) ESD(static) damage
5) port or drive contacts
6) exposure to elements
7) USB port voltage/ampage low/high
80 OS, USB issues

Failure causes can be attributed to many things but the above should touch on what maybe your reason for failure. It is but no means emcompasses all failures but does seem to be most common. The following will try to explain each failure and its cause.

1) Improper handling can introduce ESD or intolerance even though robust devices, they shouldn't be moved during use. Some ext. HD drives are so quite you thought its working, but look for telltale LED or being "ON".

2) You drop it more than likly it won't work, though you could get by for awhile or simply luck out until next time. Beware of kids and pets.

3) Once a drive is done its task and want to remove it, go through the dismount procedure. Doing so reduces occurance or corruption or data loss. usually the wording used is "eject".

4) ESD damage from static is highly possible. Those users that mount a ext. drive are the contact point to discharge. So, beware of ESD build-up as 5-12V is used to run a drive, ESD voltage far exceeds that.

5) Dirty contacts at port or cradle can cause "non-contact" or less than desired full contact. Further, some cradles(docks) are nothing more than simple wieght-bearing contacts. If you use a cordless phones, you know what simple cradle is.

6) Exposure to elements or anything other than typical desktop or PC enviroment is asking for trouble. While flash/thunb drives tend to be robust, they do fail sooner or later. I exclude the family pet.
While success stories abound of washing machines, auto run-overs, left on dashboard, etc., back-up ASAP if this occurs.

7) A limited voltage/ampage is availble through USB ports. Some makers address this with a USB dongle to help, use it. Use the rear USB ports for best operation when available. Prolonged and repeated prolonged usage can force the USB port to fail of itself as quality of the motherboard is tested by "solder lands" separation or componet failure. This is more pronounced in laptops, which maybe using several USB devices at once or attached. The PSU starts to waver in stable
outputs, causing damage. This can be related to system heat stress/build-up.

Cool OS updates, chipset issues, the device driver/software may become corrupted or be improperly reset as time marches on. Try a restore point to return before the problem arose. Check system poporteries, etc. to see if the cause. However, don't jump immediately into a software issue as cause, because if msihandled will cause issues of its own. Just thread carefully in this area.

-EOF- -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.