Storage forum

General discussion

Seagate External Hard Drive Not Recognized.

by madmaxxtwo / February 7, 2010 11:31 AM PST

Hi, I have a Seagate 1TB external hard drive which is not been recognized by my PC. When I plug it in the green light at the front just flashes and the motor inside doesn`t even seem to be running. I have checked in disk management but it doesn`t appear in there either. I have also tried to use my hard drive on other computers but it still does not work. Any help would be great, cheers, Richard.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Seagate External Hard Drive Not Recognized.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Seagate External Hard Drive Not Recognized.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is it still under warranty ?
by VAPCMD / February 7, 2010 12:15 PM PST

Have an data on it you need and don't have elsewhere ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Is it Stil under warranty?
by madmaxxtwo / February 8, 2010 4:22 AM PST

Yeah it is still under warranty, but I need the data that is on there.

Collapse -
To get the data out, we'll void the warranty.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 8, 2010 8:54 PM PST

Your choice.

The usual is to pull the drive out of the housing (this kills the warranty) and try it on some other good case or cable. I use one of these -> http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=2020

Some can't bring themselves to do that but it all comes down to "are my files worth this much?"

Next time, keep backup copies.
Bob

Collapse -
To get the data out, we'll void the warranty.
by madmaxxtwo / February 9, 2010 1:28 AM PST

Well I think it might actually be the plug!i`v been looking through a few other forums and that seems to be the case sometimes!If that is not the cause I will take the drive out of it`s housing. The whole of me buying the external hard drive was to make back up copies!So what do you reckon,I buy two in case the other fails!madness!lol

Collapse -
So no loss?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2010 1:31 AM PST

"The whole of me buying the external hard drive was to make back up copies!"

I read your reply but maybe you were using this as STORAGE which is not safe as we learned. If it was a back up copy then the original is safe and ready to be copied again.

However the lesson is that we need no less than 3 copies to stay in a state of backup. This lesson is often learned the hard way.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.