Camcorders

General discussion

SdCopy program

by afinkel / April 20, 2009 3:01 AM PDT

Hi , Help Needed !!!
we want to use SdCopy but remain the source file name and only change the extention and get the 16:9 aspect ratio .
what should we do to obtain it .
Thanks ahead .
Alex.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SdCopy program
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SdCopy program
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
use SDcopy's WS-Flag patch mode
by sektionschef / April 20, 2009 5:08 AM PDT
In reply to: SdCopy program

Hi
If you leave the field "destination folder" blank then SDcopy uses the "WS-Flag patch mode" where is does not do any copy operation. Instead, it will directly patch the original files and can also rename their file extension.
So you can either directly modify the original files or you could first make a backup copy of the original files and then directly modify these backup files.
Also make sure you use the latest version which is V1.9991beta.
Hope that helps.
Regards
Sektionschef

Collapse -
SDCopy for Mac???
by gusturtle / February 17, 2011 3:43 AM PST

Do you (or anyone reading this) know if there are plans to develop SDCopy for Mac users? This would be a LIFE-SAVER. Thanks in advance!

Collapse -
use SDcopy's WS-Flag patch mode
by sektionschef / April 20, 2009 5:16 AM PDT

Hi
If you leave the field "destination folder" blank then SDcopy uses the "WS-Flag patch mode" where is does not do any copy operation. Instead, it will directly patch the original files and can also rename their file extension.
So you can either directly modify the original files or you could first make a backup copy of the original files and then directly modify these backup files.
Also make sure you use the latest version which is V1.9991beta.
Hope that helps.
Regards
Sektionschef

Collapse -
why can't i get thumb nails with sdcopy
by gcaseyiii / April 21, 2009 10:49 AM PDT

Hi, I have been using the sdcopy utility program now for about a year and I can't say how useful it has been for time saving as well as other frustrations i was having wiht my JVC camcorder. It has made me reconsider getting rid of my jvc camcorder. The only thing that i wish it would allow is for thumbnail views. I have thumb nails of the video when it is in MOD format but after using sdcopy to convert it to a mpg is just shows a standard mpg icon. I am using windows vista. Is their anyway to get a thumbnail of the video to appear after it has been converted with the program???

Collapse -
should work in SDcopy
by sektionschef / April 22, 2009 5:54 AM PDT

Hi
Are you talking about the thumbnail view of windows explorer or the thumbnail view in SDcopy?
In SDcopy you should also see the Thumbnails of converted mpg files.
Regards
Sektionschef

Collapse -
thimbnail views
by gcaseyiii / April 23, 2009 3:24 AM PDT
In reply to: should work in SDcopy

I appologize if I was unclear. When the video has a MOD extension windows will provide a thumbnail of the video clip when looking in the folder. (a image of the recorded video) However once I use SdCopy to convert it to the MPG the image is no longer there and it just shows a generic mpg Icon for the thumbnail instead of a image of the recorded video....

Collapse -
Research these links.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 23, 2009 6:44 AM PDT
In reply to: thimbnail views
Collapse -
WHERES THE FILE
by simontcnet / April 24, 2009 2:04 AM PDT
In reply to: should work in SDcopy

Hi, All of the links I have found are dead. Is this program still available?

Cheers

SiMO

Collapse -
new site
by sektionschef / April 26, 2009 6:35 AM PDT
In reply to: WHERES THE FILE
Collapse -
new site
by simontcnet / April 26, 2009 11:06 AM PDT
In reply to: new site

great program thanks.
Will pass on new link
SiMO

Collapse -
help with your program?
by chris o. / August 14, 2009 9:51 PM PDT

Hi thanks for your program, im having problems using videos in windows movie maker i have a jvc hdd camera,i have recorded in 16:9 and when i use your tool to fix the aspect ratio problem they will not play in wmm the preview screen just stays black as the video is playing, but play fine in wmp. if i do not click the 16:9 box in sdcopy it will work as normal (only the aspect ratio is wrong) the thing is i have used your tool (older version) over 12 months ago with no problems.
any help is very much appreciated

Thanks Chris

Collapse -
get the latest version
by sektionschef / August 15, 2009 4:52 AM PDT
Collapse -
sdcopy
by chris o. / August 18, 2009 8:10 PM PDT
In reply to: get the latest version

Wow thanks that works, back in action.

Thanks heaps
Cheers
Chris

Collapse -
still no video
by lostflight2 / November 12, 2009 2:31 AM PST

So, I downloaded the new version, but I'm still not getting any video (only audio) when I try to edit my movie in windows movie maker. There is video when I play it in windows media player. Could it be because I am still using windows XP and movie maker v5.1?
Thanks,
lostflight2

Collapse -
yes
by sektionschef / November 13, 2009 5:45 AM PST
In reply to: still no video

Yes, so far I know, moviemaker of WinXP does not support mpeg2 format.
Regards
Sektionschef

Collapse -
current version of SDcopy
by buccikong / April 27, 2010 2:41 PM PDT
In reply to: yes

Sektionschef,

It looks like the zyvid.com download is no longer available, can you possibly email me the current version of SDcopy?

I have a bunch of MPEG2 files from a Sony Handycam that have an incorrect value set for the sequence display extension that prevents them from displaying properly. It sounds like SDcopy may fix the issue, but I can't find an active download link anywhere.

Thanks.

Collapse -
zyvid.com is up again
by sektionschef / April 29, 2010 5:49 AM PDT
Collapse -
Error 9 in sdcopy
by John O. / November 18, 2009 6:02 PM PST

Hi Sektionschef

Your wonderful sdcopy program has saved me in copying MOD files to Cyberlink PD8 while maintaining the 16:9 aspect ratio.

However, I have run into a problem when converting MOD to MPG files from my Panasonic camcorder. The camcorder puts all clip files into a separate folder for each day of shooting, i.e. PRG001, PRG002, etc. One of these folders contains 48 files, and when sdcopy gets to the 25th file, it stops with a message like "Run-time error 9 - Subscript out of range". This leaves about 24 files I cannot import in 16:9.

Is there any workaround to overcome this problem?

Collapse -
copying file names
by awsure / March 8, 2011 2:31 AM PST

Apologies for amateurish question here but I am a total noob at this. BTW - Very happy I found your SDCopy tool and thanks so much for developing it.

I renamed my mod files with a brief description and I have lots of them but noticed the files get renamed once converted to mpeg. Is there a way to retain the file names when doing a "bulk" conversion or do I need to manually rename them?

Thanks again Wink
Hal

Collapse -
SDCopy Question - Why can't I get audio???
by rooaimee / October 16, 2009 7:47 AM PDT

Hi, Sektionschef - I successfully used your program to convert my .MOD video files (from a Canon FS100 video camera) to .MPG. But no matter what program I use to try to play or edit the video (Windows Movie Maker, Media Player, Pro Show Gold) I can't get any audio. The video works just fine, but I can't get any audio no matter what I seem to try. I used GSpot to analyze the files and I get .MPEG2 video and .AC3 audio. Oh, I'm using Vista Home Premium.

Any suggestions or thoughts?
Thanks so much for your help!

Collapse -
Another question about audio
by johnhiltoniii / May 2, 2010 10:58 AM PDT

Sektionschef you are a miracle worker. I've been using SDcopy and am incredibly grateful. I'm having a similar problem as described by others, and I know it's not an issue with your program, but I'm thinking you might have a suggestion for a fix.

The .mpg files play just fine in Windows Media Player, but when I use Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0 it does not play the audio.

I've tried to find a way to contact you via a pm but without luck. I can be contacted via my website at http://johnhiltoniii.org. Or I can check back here.

I'm sure you're tired of people bugging you and I apologize for the time and trouble.

Collapse -
One more note
by johnhiltoniii / May 2, 2010 10:59 AM PDT

I'm using a JVC Everio camcorder...I'm sure that's where the problem is -- somewhere between that an Adobe...I have about 120 .mpg files though, so I'm trying to find a fix that will get all of them without having to do something to each file manually.

Collapse -
AC3
by sektionschef / May 2, 2010 11:14 PM PDT
In reply to: One more note

Hi
So far I know the JVC camcorders have coded the audio part of the mepg2 mod file in AC3 format which is also known as dolby digital format. I don't have adobe software so I can't help you here but you should find out whether it supports ac3 or dolby digital audio format.
Perhaps a plugin or optional sw component is required to support AC3.
Best would be to visit a adobe forum and ask for AC3 support.
Hope that helps
Regards
Sektionschef

Collapse -
JVC with Adobe Premiere Elements
by JVCTechExpert / May 10, 2010 6:18 AM PDT
In reply to: One more note

Hello,

I work for JVC and would like to try and help. Adobe now supports .mod files on the newer versions of their software. According to Adobe, both Premiere Elements 7 and Premiere Elements 8 work with .mod files. I personally have PE8 and have found it works very well.

This maybe a worthwhile update, and would most likely solve your problems.

Chris

Collapse -
to JVCTechExpert
by sektionschef / May 10, 2010 3:15 PM PDT

Hello JVCTechExpert

Can you answer the question whether Adobe Premiere Elements3.0 supports AC3 audio format within a mpeg2 file?

Regards
Sektionschef

Collapse -
Thank you
by johnhiltoniii / May 12, 2010 10:57 PM PDT
In reply to: to JVCTechExpert

Yes, that would be helpful to know which (if any) versions of Adobe are supporting the AC3 format, and if there is a way i can just get a plugin so that i don't have to upgrade to a newer version. Thank you!

Collapse -
Avoiding the problem
by movrshakr / June 27, 2010 7:12 AM PDT

Hi, Sektionschef,
we had some emails in 2008 about sdcopy and a Panasonic SDR-H60 camcorder producing 16:9 clips that would not import properly, which led to sdcopy...and solution.

But, I was sick for a year and have now discovered my Panasonic camera is missing--nowhere to be found in my house--have no idea where it went.

So, I have to buy a new camera. My question is, which brands do not have the import problem? I think I'd just like to buy a new camera that will avoid all the manipulation and will produce videos that import properly into the major editing programs, especially Powerdirector--although I have not bought that one yet (due to the previous problems)--so I can go to any of them.

Guess I am asking, which brand camera avoids the issues and which editor do you think is good? Appreciate any help. Thanks.

Bob/movrshakr

Collapse -
Sony is different
by sektionschef / June 27, 2010 3:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Avoiding the problem

Hi
All the standard-definition camcorders that record mpeg2 files to sd-cards or harddisks have this problem. The camcorder manufacturers don't do anything wrong, they just follow exactly the standards of the sd-card file system. There, it is written that the file has to be a MOD file and that it should have a corresponding MOI file with the widescreen information inside. To lower the development costs all these companies just use the same file system when using a harddisk as the storage medium.
Now all manufacturers like Panasonic, Canon and JVC behave identically here, except Sony!
Because Sony does(did) not deal with SD cards because they use their own memorystick they also do not need to follow the SD card standards and so they directly write MPG files instead of MOD and their MPG files already include the 16:9 informations.
So if you don't like to deal with MOD files then take a Sony!
But, be aware that all the above is only true for standard definition camcorders, the high-definition camcorders are a different story.
And if I were you and I would need to buy a new camcorder then I would go for a high-def model but that's your decission.
Hope that helps
Regards
Sektionschef

Collapse -
Not converting to 16:9 with WS Flag Set
by Alice Donut / July 9, 2010 4:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Sony is different

I recently converted around 80 files from my Canon FS22. Around 10 of these files failed to convert to 16:9 and remained in the 4:3 format when viewed in WMP on two different machines.
I deleted these converted files and reran the conversion. Again some files didn't convert to 16:9 and the failed ones are random to previous processes. I'm using V1.99985beta.
Any idea's as to why this may be so?

Collapse -
try to find a file
by sektionschef / July 10, 2010 4:34 AM PDT

Hi
Its hard to say what's the problem here.
If you can find out a mod file where sdcopy can't set the widescreen flag then please send me that file so I can analyze it.
Regards
Sektionschef

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.