Samsung forum

General discussion

scx-4623f scanner

by SunHuiVchai / May 13, 2010 2:19 AM PDT

hi -

I use linux and my new scx-4623f printer does everything just fine (fantastic printer, thanks to samsung).

scanner also works for the most part but when I try to scan at a resolution above 600 it repeatedly crashes the scanning software (sane/xsane). if I stick to 600 dpi or less scanning works perfect.

the unified driver from the samsung site for this printer seems to not include the scx-4623f specs in /etc/sane.d/smfp.conf; I suspect this may be the cause of my software trouble (under windows7 with the samsung windows drivers scanning works fine at 1200+ so the hardware is fine).

so my questions are: 1) how (and what) do I gather to add the smfp.conf entry myself for this printer and/or 2) I realize this is a new printer so will samsung be doing the update to smfp.conf themselves at some point?

thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: scx-4623f scanner
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: scx-4623f scanner
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
scx-4623f scanner
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 13, 2010 7:10 AM PDT
In reply to: scx-4623f scanner

SunHuiVchai,

What version of Linux are you using?

#1. I don't know.
#2. I'd like to see if we can replicate the problem. It doesn't hurt to ask, but I'll send this over to the appropriate people to look more into.

Unfortunately, I don't have any further information, but I'll see if someone can look into it.

--HDTech

Collapse -
scx-4623f scanner
by SunHuiVchai / May 14, 2010 2:26 AM PDT

thank you.

I use gentoo linux. I'm guessing for this problem the only relevant package revs would be:

linux kernel 2.6.31 (relevant usb options enabled)
xsane 0.996
sane-backends 1.0.19
libusb 0.1.12
samsung unified driver 3.00.63 (Apr 05, 2010)

once I try to scan at 1200+ dpi it starts the scan then aborts with "error during read: out of memory". I have 4G sys ram, many gigs of free hdd space and while I can google lots of references to this message, it seems to be something of a catch-all.

it's just a guess that the missing smfp.conf entry is related to the problem. iow with sane having no information on this specific printer/scanner it uses (I'm guessing) a generic/low-res setting which works fine for 600dpi and below. I replaced an hp inkjet (usb mfp just like the samsung) with this samsung but hp has full linux support so it had no trouble scanning at 1200+ dpi.

I use the latest samsung unified linux driver from the samsung site for which everything works but if you examine "smfp.conf" you'll note there is no entry for this printer.

last, this "SunHuiVchai" is a bugmenot acct so the email address is not mine. I don't like using my own email on forums I only post once or twice to - I can provide one if necessary so just letting you know.

Collapse -
scx-4623f scanner
by SunHuiVchai / May 17, 2010 8:19 AM PDT

hi -

it doesn't seem /etc/sane.d/smfp.conf is the problem.

I installed the entire latest samsung unified drivers (apr 05 2010) and tried the samsung scanning tool - still crashes trying 1200 dpi or higher.

I think what's actually the problem is that because basic scanning (600 dpi or less) works fine that the /usr/lib/sane/libsane-smfp.so library is too old for my printer. the date indicates it was built in july 2009 which predates the scx-4623 release by more than 6 months.

iow if you could ask your contact to see if that library is built without scx-4623 scan capabilities/support or has some hard limit for 600 dpi I'm guessing this is what's wrong.

Collapse -
scx-4623f scanner
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 17, 2010 2:55 PM PDT

SunHuiVchai,

I'll be happy to. I think they're still reviewing my last report, so I'll see if I can stop in tomorrow to see what they can tell me.

--HDTech

Collapse -
sane_read: Out of memory
by riiigx / June 9, 2010 12:02 AM PDT

Hi. I just bought the SCX-4623F and installed it today on my Ubuntu 9.10 machine. I downloaded and install the Unified PRinter Drivers from the Samsung website. I then rebooted.

When I attempt to scan a document at 600dpi or less there is no problem. When I increase the resolution (like the original poster) I get a:
"sane_read": "Out of memory"
error

I have over 5 gigs of ram installed with over 10 gigs of swap space. After a fresh reboot all I am running is firefox and the scanning software so there should be no shortage of memory.

Is this a known problem? Is there a solution?

Thanks.

Collapse -
Looks like that never was resolved.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 9, 2010 12:18 AM PDT
Collapse -
RE: bugzilla
by riiigx / June 9, 2010 12:50 AM PDT

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the link! Unfortunately I am not a coder...but I will post some info on the bugzilla to help the developers.

In the meantime I'll use the device with my WinXP laptop when necessary.

Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.