PC Applications

Question

SCSI & Getting a ghost image

by Citt1 / September 4, 2012 11:46 PM PDT

A friend asked me to take a ghost image of his server. It is a Dell and it is about 6 - 8 years old. I tried used a bootable CD with Ghost on it and it did not see the HDD, because it is SCSI and I did not install a driver. I have several questions about this. If I do install a driver for the SCSI drive using the bootable disc does it mess up the bus on his regular server? Do I have to reinitialize the bus? I have not worked with SCSI much and I do not know much about it. I know he has 2 drives running either RAID 0 or 1, which striping or mirroring I believe. So, I just want to get an image from the server and it is turning into a project much bigger than I expected. Can anyone help me and tell me the pitfalls? Would the exact model of the server along with the fact it is running Windows Server 2003 help? Also, I know there are recent versions of Ghost that run inside Windows while it is running, but my question is how can a piece of software copy a HDD while the operating system still has some files locked down? Any guidance would be so helpful. Thanks.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SCSI & Getting a ghost image
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SCSI & Getting a ghost image
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Does the boot CD have the SCSI drivers and if yes,
by VAPCMD / September 5, 2012 10:19 AM PDT

can you load them during the CD bootup ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Drivers during boot
by Citt1 / September 6, 2012 10:55 PM PDT

Yes, I just do not know enough about SCSI to know what will happen to his "real" SCSI devices if I do anything in Windows XP which is what is on the boot disc. Let me clarify - if it set up the SCSI devices in XP does that "mess up" the chain or device numbers when he reboots into server? I am unsure where and if this information is stored when I load the CD. In other words, will I cause the SCSI bus to look for something different when he reboots and then his server will not boot? This is my greatest fear and something I do not want to happen.

Collapse -
How many drives are there and what are you
by VAPCMD / September 7, 2012 8:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Drivers during boot

imaging to ... another SCSI drive ?

Is the system or data backed up otherwise ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Answer
No Ghost for me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2012 10:22 AM PDT

I've been using CLONEZILLA for such work. If the Ghost version you have is so outdated then why not tell him that?
Bob

Collapse -
Clonezilla
by Citt1 / September 6, 2012 11:03 PM PDT
In reply to: No Ghost for me.

I looked up the software, but it seems I would still have the SCSI issue.

Collapse -
That's odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2012 6:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Clonezilla

I've used Clonezilla with too many SCSI controllers over the years to even begin to list them all.

I can't tell from your post if you booted up Clonezilla for a test or not.
Bob

Collapse -
Clonezilla
by Citt1 / September 9, 2012 11:38 PM PDT
In reply to: That's odd.

No, I did not boot with it. I just read about it, but I would still need to install the SCSI drivers. Does installing the SCSI drivers do anything the the actually machine that is running?

Collapse -
Linux tends to have a long list of supported scsi cards.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2012 10:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Clonezilla

It appears you are new to Linux so this is a good time to boot and try it.

If not, I think you are better off with a full retail Server version of Acronis. It includes support for folk in your situation.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.